Chapter 2

Avery’s POV
            When I finally got off the bus I started to walk towards the school. I got to the entrance of the school and saw that it had a huge iron fence surrounding it. Probably to make sure none of the kids ditch.
            I looked up at the letters above the gate. I tried to read it but with my dyslexia I couldn’t make it out. I looked like: Yncay Amedcady.
            What it really said was Yancy Academy; a school for troubled kids. The only reason I knew what it actually said was because Mrs. Gretcher was talking about it to me. She even read me the brochure that they had.
            Why does a school have its own brochure you might ask? Well, Yancy Academy was a private school for troubled kids in New York.
            Was I a troubled kid? No, no I wasn’t. But everyone else seemed to think so.
            You see, I’m not really trouble. I’m just at the wrong place at the wrong time, or I get blamed for things I don’t even do. I swear that my teachers would try to pin World War II on me!
            Even at the age of 3 nothing ever seemed to go right for me. I could start to tell you about my horrible life when I was first put into kindergarten but that would take too long. So we’ll start at the things that I remember most.
            When I was in the fourth grade we were learning about the constitution so we went to go see the real signed document. I didn’t mean to, but I accidently triggered the alarm and got our school kicked out for life.
            In the fifth grade I got kicked out of 5 different schools. The first school that I was in fifth grade was when we went to the aquarium and someone tripped me. I tried catching myself but ended up pushing my whole entire class into the dolphin exhibit. Everyone assumed I tried to do it because I was the only one that didn’t fall in.
             In sixth grade when we were learning about the Egyptians, we went to a museum and I, again, tripped an alarm.
            I didn’t mean to cause any of them! It was either an accident or I just get blamed for crap that I didn’t do.
             Like in the ninth grade, someone lit a smoke bomb on the bus and every single person blamed me just because they knew I was on probation and didn’t want the real culprit to get blamed because it was ‘funny’.
            I have plenty more stories to tell but I think you get the point. It’s not my fault I get kicked out of every single school I’m in.
            Taking a deep breath, I promised myself that I would try my best not to get kicked out of this school. It seemed like a good plan at the time.
            I was about to walk past the gates but someone caught my arm. I looked back to see the curly brown haired kid that I had helped looking shyly at his feet.
            “T-Thanks for helping me this morning,” He said shuffling his feet.
            I smiled, “No problem. I don’t like bullies.”
            “Me either.” He said, laughing slightly. It was an awkward silence for a little while until the kid spoke again. “I’m Grover by the way.” He said sticking out his hand but still looking down.
            “I’m Avery.” I said shaking his hand. “You know, you can look at me right?” I asked.
            He laughed and looked up at my face only to jump back. “Holy Ha-I mean Holy crap! Wow! W-what’s up with your eyes?” He asked shocked.
            I blushed, slightly embarrassed. My eyes were always what people talked about. My eyes were silver that stood out.
            Everyone always noticed my eyes, it was the first thing I talked about to most new people I met. I was actually pretty surprised that Rick didn’t notice my eyes. Usually that’s the fist the people notice; then again I wasn’t making eye contact with him.
            They were really unique too; I had not met a single person with the same eye color as me.
            Grover started to look a little close in awe. “That is so cool! Where did you buy contacts like that?”
            There it was. The second think everyone always thought about my eyes. “I’m not wearing contacts.” I said.
            His eyes widened. “Really?”
            I nodded my head, my cheeks still slightly pink.
            “That’s so sick!” Grover said and looked at my eyes more. “They make you look really pretty.” He said and I turned really red. Never had I gotten so many complements in a day.
            He seemed to realize what he said to cuz he’s cheeks turned slightly red too. “I mean- sorry if that’s weird.”
            I laughed, “No, it’s cool.”
            Grover sighed in relief. “Alright good.”
            I smiled. I really liked this kid.  I smiled at him but looked at the huge clock on the school. The bell was about to ring. “Well I had better get to class.” I said then started to walk away briskly, so I wasn’t late for class.
            “Hey wait!” Grover called and ran after me. “Aren’t you new here? I haven’t seen you around before?”
            “Yeah, I just got transferred.” I explained.
            “Bad luck.”
            “Nah, not really. I probably won’t be here for another three weeks.”
            “What, why?”
            “I usually get kicked out of the school then.” I said shrugging.
            “Serious?” Grover asked and suddenly seemed to be extremely interested in the subject.
            “Um…Yeah,” I said rubbing the back of my neck with my hand. “Hey, I really have to get to class. I’m trying not to get on all the teachers bad sides this school year so...”
            “I’ll walk you to the office so you can get checked in.” He offered.
            I smiled. “I’d like that, thanks.”
            We started to walk towards the office and when we entered the secretary looked up from her computer with a bright smile. “Hello there! How can I help you?”
            “I’m new here and I need to get checked in?”
            “Ah yes, they said we were getting a couple of new students this year. And what’s your name, hun?”
            “Avery Hawkins.” I said.
            Immediately the smile and brightness of the secretary’s face was wiped off. “The one that’s gotten kicked out of over 20 schools?” She asked, rudely.
            I looked over at Grover to see his eyes wide at how many schools I’ve been in. I turned back the lady and answered sheepishly, “Um… yeah. That’s me.”
            Her whole attitude changed from being a nice old lady to being a rude, stern grandma. “Here’s your schedule.” She said with no emotion but it still sounded kinda bratty.
            I sighed. This is how all the teachers act when they find out who I am. “Thanks.” I said taking it and walking out.
            When the door shut behind us, Grover turned to me. “Over 20 schools?” He asked in disbelief.
            I bit my lip while my cheeks turned hot from embarrassment. “Um… yeah.”
            Grover looked away for a second, in deep thought. “Maybe she’s one of them. No but she doesn’t have the scent. Maybe…” He muttered almost so I couldn’t hear him.
            He seemed to realize I was there and snapped out of his thoughts. “Let me see your schedule.” I handed it to him and he compared it to his. “Cool. We have almost every class together. All except gym. We even have lunch together.” He said and handed me back my schedule.
            “When do you have gym?” I asked.
            “I don’t take it. I have a note.” He explained and seemed like he didn’t really want to talk about it.
            Not wanting to push him farther on the subject I just nodded. “Well, I’ll see you after gym, Grover.”
            He smiled at me and we both walked the opposite directions to our first period classes.
            As I walked I smiled to myself.
            I think, I made a new friend.