Chapter 55

Avery’s POV
            Light kissed my skin as I slowly blinked my eyes to find it streaming in from the curtains. I slowly sat up, stretching my arms then and rubbed my eyes to wake up a little more. I looked down beside me to find Luna still comfortably nestled to my left side.
            I lightly pet her smooth fur and she blinked her eyes sleepily then moved her head up to look at me. Her eyes flashed a sleepy smile then she got up from her laying position and stretched, letting out a massive yawn.
            The door opened and footsteps were heard as well as a small tune being whistled. Both Luna and I turned our heads to the door to find Lee, an Apollo kid walking with blankets and medical supplies I smiled at him but it faded as I heard a deep growl coming from Luna’s throat.
            Lee’s eyes widened and he slowly started to step back, cautiously.
            I looked down at Luna. “Stop it.” I told her and immediately she stopped growling but looked up at me, giving me a look that clearly stated that she didn’t want to listen. I looked back up at Lee, ready to say something to apologize, but my mouth shut when I saw that he was gone; the medical supplies and blankets scattered on the floor.
            After seeing that he was gone I turned to Luna. “Why did you do that?” I asked Luna, angry that she scared him away.
            “I was merely protecting you.” Luna stated.
            “Why?” I asked, “Lee wouldn’t hurt me.”      
            Her eyes shrugged. “What is it that you humans say? ‘Better safe than sorry’?
            “Yes, but everyone here is a friend.”
            “The girl that was attacking you last night didn’t seem to be.” Luna shot back at me, anger clear in her voice from thinking back to Clarisse.
            I opened my mouth to argue but closed it again when I realized she was right. “Fair point.” I shrugged then pulled off the covers and let my feet swing over the side of the bed and stood up. I stretched once more and this time got a satisfying crack from my back.
            Walking over to the table that was next to my bed, I picked up the bottle of Nectar and drank some from it to help with my aching head. The taste was so amazing that I wish I could drink all of it, but I remembered Grey telling me that it could burn me alive so I only had two small swallows then set the cup back down.  
            “What time is it?” I wondered aloud and looked around for a clock.
            Luna jumped down from the bed, “Around 8:30.” She said.
            “I’m gonna miss breakfast!” I exclaimed and started to rush towards the door but Luna stood in my way jumping in front of me every time I tried to move away. “Luna move.” I told her.
            She shook her head, “You need to check on your wounds first.” She told me and I rolled my eyes.
            “Fine.” I said then walked over to rub some cream over the bruises that were forming on my stomach, wincing every once and a while. I got to my head and unwrapped the gauze around my head and gently rubbed some nectar over the wound. After I was finished I tied my hair into a braid and turned to Luna. “Can I go now?” I asked, impatiently. Breakfast was only from 8-9.
            To my relief Luna nodded and moved out of the way from the door. I smiled at her and started to jog towards the pavilion, my braid hitting my back from bouncing up and down.
            “You should really be more careful.” Luna told me while she ran to the side of me, occasionally looking over at me with a worried look.
            “I’m fine Luna. It doesn’t hurt that much.” I waved her off even though I could feel the slight pounding in my head.
            When I was almost to the pavilion I slowed my job until I was walking, Luna trotting on my side. I started walking towards the rest of the tables and everyone’s eyes turned to me. Luna looked at each of them menacingly while getting in front of me like she was protecting me from everyone. She started to growl really loud and all the campers that were closest to me had their eyes as wide as shields and got up from their table, taking a step back. I heard a little girl start crying while someone was trying to comfort her.
            I turned and looked down at Luna, angry. “Stop it.” I told her but she continued. “Luna stop.” I commanded, my voice hard. She was scaring people.
            Luna gave one last growl then stopped. She looked back at me, “I’m trying to protect you.” She told me, her voice sounding angry as well.
            “Luna, I’ll tell you when you need to.” I said and I heard a few gasps but I didn’t pay attention to them and continued to talk to her. “Don’t assume that everyone is going to kill me.”
            The silver wolf just looked away and turned to the rest of the campers looking like she was upset but obeyed me. I started to walk forwards and Luna followed, as I expected- what I didn’t expect was everyone to take another step back. I raised an eyebrow and Chiron came towards me but kept his distance. “Avery,” he said warily and looked down at Luna. “We are glad that you are out of the infirmary but possible you could… eat without the wolf?”
            “She won’t hurt anyone.” I said then turned to Luna. “Right?” I asked her.
            “As long as they don’t harm you then yes.” She said and I turned back to Chiron.
            “See.” I said and everyone gasped.
            Chiron’s eyes were high on his head. “Avery…” he said. “We didn’t didn’t hear anything.”
            I laughed unsteadily, “What?”
            “She did not speak. Did she speak to you?”
            “Yes,” I nodded and another rang of gasps let out.
            “When did this happen?” Chiron asked.
            “I woke up and she talked to me when Grey left.” I answered. “She said that I have a gift to speak to her.”
            Chiron had fear in his eyes but quickly he masked it with another face that made it look like I never saw it. He did a strange gesture with his hands that I remembered Grover told me was a gesture to ward off evil spirits. Chiron opened his eyes and nodded. “Could you perhaps tell him-”
            Luna growled offended. “Her.” I corrected immediately.
            “My apologizes,” Chiron said then corrected himself. “Could you perhaps tell her to please tell her to kindly stay back from the campers? They are not exactly… comfortable around her.”
            “She won’t hurt anyone.” I said.
            Grey stood up from the Hades’ table as well as Nico. “The wolf really won’t hurt anyone. As long as you don’t try to harm Avery.” Grey explained. “She wants to protect her master who is Avery.”
            I nodded and gave Chiron a pleading look. He hesitated and I looked over the Hermes table until I made eye contact with Jacie. I gave her a look that said, ‘please come over.’ She hesitated but nodded and walked towards me and Luna, shakily. Luna walked over to her then suddenly jumped on her, pinning Jacie to the ground. Everyone gasp and looked ready to attack but suddenly Jacie started to laugh and everyone saw that Luna was licking Jacie’s face like a dog. “S-stop!” Jacie said in-between laughs.
            Slowly the tension in everyone’s shoulders loosened but you could tell they were still wary of her. Jacie was giggling uncontrollably and soon Luna jumped off her but not without giving her another lick. Jacie laughed once more and pet Luna while Luna’s leg started to thump on the ground.
            Izzy, the little girl that I had helped fall asleep, ran up to Luna, “Puppy!” She said and threw her arms around Luna while everyone tensed again. Luna nuzzled up to Izzy with the same puppy like actions.
            I turned to everyone. “See.” I said, trying to help Luna’s case.
            “Very well.” Chiron gave in. “I don’t want to hear campers getting injured however. If I hear about it, there will be serious punishments.”
            “Hear that Luna?” I asked and she barked a ‘yes.’ I smiled and turned back to Chiron, “Deal.”
            He smiled, “Everyone please get back to breakfast. Remember that cabin inspections will be promptly after.” Everyone groaned but got back to eating.
            “Thanks Chiron.” I said then walked over to the edge to sit on the edge of the Hermes table to squeeze in next to Jacie and the rest of my friends. I was on the very edge of the bench but I didn’t mind. Luna sat next to me thumping her tail every once in a while. I filled my plate up and filled a small plate of meat for Luna as well as a water dish. I gave the meat to Luna and she looked at it hungrily. After I filled my place I walked over to the fire pit and scraped off my food into the fire then turned around to walk towards the table but paused when I saw what Luna did.
I expected her to dig into her meat but instead she carefully cut a piece of the best chunk of meat and trotted over to the fire pit. She jumped so her front paws were on the edge and then dropped her meat into the pit. She turned to me and saw my confused face. “What?” She asked, “I have to sacrifice things to the Gods as well.
My mouth opened then closed as I shrugged. “Why not.” I said then we started to walk back towards the table and dug into our food.
            Jacie, the rest of my friends and I laughed until our food was done. The nymphs came after and cleared away our food as we got up. I looked around with a smile on my face from what Whitney had said but as I scanned the crowd I frowned. “Where’s Luke?” I asked.
            Immediately Jacie’s smile fell. “He’s still sleeping.”
            “Why did no one wake him up?” I asked.
            “Why do you care?” Jacie asked, “He hurt you.”
            “I know but- I-… never mind.” I said then was dragged off towards the rest of my friends but not before looking back at the cabin, feeling sad that I didn’t get to see him.
            Where was he? I thought to myself.
________________________________________________________________________________________
A/N: Sorry guys this probably sucks really bad. I feel really bad that I haven't updated in so long but I have been having a really horrible week with stupid testing and crap. Please continue reading!! And please comment guys!! Remember to check out how to enter in the contest!! Thanks guys!
        -Breann