Chapter 46

Avery’s POV

            Still trudging to the jail, we were all silent. I spotted a few of my team mates. “Hey!” I called over to them and they turned only to have their eyes widen. “Holy Hermes!” One of them yelled. “Is that Annabeth and Thalia?” He exclaimed. “You freaking caught two of the best people on their team!”

            I smiled weakly and suddenly felt the world rushing up; luckily two people caught me before I fell to the ground.  I looked up through my heavy eyelids to see both the Stoll brothers on either side of me, worried looks covering their faces.

            “Geez,” Travis said, “What happened to you?”

            “I-I’m fine.” I said, trying to wave them off and walk on my own but only stumbled again. Both their arms wrapped my hands around their necks, keeping me from falling.

            Conner started to say, “Maybe you should-”

            “Sit down.” Travis finished and set me down so that I was leaning against a tree over by the jail.

            Jacie ran over, smiling but her face fell when she saw me in such bad condition. “What happened?” She said, running over to me and taking my face in her hands.

            I coughed, “I-I don’t even know.” I managed to say, “Trees, lightning…” I started to fade again but Jacie shook me a little.

            “Chiron!” She yelled, frantically looking around. “Chiron!” She yelled again, louder and her voice panicked.

            Faintly I could hear hooves trotted towards us. “Oh my.” Chiron said and knelt to examine me. He put a hand on my forehead and flinched away. “She’s burning up.” He said and started to grab his medical supplies. “What happened?” He asked looking at Jacie worriedly.

            “I-I don’t know. I-I wasn’t with her.”

            “Who was? This is serious.” Chiron demanded and Annabeth seemed to get over her shock.

            “We were.” She said.

            “What happened?” Chiron asked her, putting a cloth of my forehead then feeding me Nectar.          “I-I don’t know Chiron. It-it was the strangest thing…” Annabeth said and started to zone out into space, thinking about it.

            “Chiron,” Thalia cut in, seeing that Annabeth wasn’t over her shock completely. “Avery did something th-that I’ve never seen any other demigod do before.” Chiron’s eye brows rose.

            “What did she do child?”

            “We were sneaking into this side of the woods and Avery caught us.” Thalia explained, “We started to fight and after I realized that this was wasting time fighting, I decided to finish it so I used my powers to strike her with lightning. That should have knocked her out for the rest of the game. Instead she got up from the blow a-and s-she used my own storm cloud to strike me with lightning!” Thalia exclaimed using furious hand gestures.

            Chiron looked back at me. “Then she is a child of Zeus.” He said but it didn’t sound convincing.

            “No, Chiron. I mean- at first I thought that but then after, we had her cornered and the tree she was pinned against, suddenly lunched at us and- she made it grow and wrap around us- I- I don’t- only a child of Demeter could do that- I mean how did sh-”

            Through the whole story, anyone could see the panic written across his face. “She must have exhausted her powers too severely.” Chiron said, quickly cutting Thalia off, he glanced at the sky then back at me.

            He quickly stood up, “I need to attend to the others now. Do not give her any more Nectar; she will not be able to handle anymore. Keep her well.” With that he trotted off quickly, as if he was escaping a conversation that he didn’t want to speak about.

            I was feeling better but I closed my eyelids. “Thalia?” I asked after a long silence while Jacie attended to some cuts on my body. Thalia made a noise to indicate as a ‘what?’ “W-what happened?” I asked.

            Thalia turned to look at me, “I have no idea.” She said a look of worry on her face.

            Resting my head back on the tree, I closed my eyes and tried to soak everything that had happened. “Go on and help with the other people.” I told Jacie opening my eyes to look at her. “I’m feeling a lot better now.”

            She hesitated but I said, “Go.” And her eyes glazed over slightly and nodded, walking away.

            “You did that too.” Thalia muttered softly. “I forgot about that.”

            I turned my head to her, my head still resting on the tree. “Did what?”

            “You did that with Annabeth. You can charm speak too.”

            “Thalia?” I asked, feeling close to tears. “Is there something wrong with me? Why do I have all these things happening to me?”

            My friend sighed, “I can’t answer that.” She said. “But trust me, Avery. We’ll get the bottom of it.”

            I nodded and rested back against the tree again feeling tired but my mind humming with questions. When I heard my name I looked up to see Spencer from the Hephaestus cabin. “Are you up to fighting?” He asked.

            “Why?”

            “The Red team is storming the front lines and we’re losing men fast.”

            I scrambled to get up and drew my sword, “I’m on it. Send someone to guard these two.” I commanded gesturing with my head to Annabeth and Thalia. Spencer nodded and I rushed off, feeling lightly dizzy but I had to help my team to win. Maybe, I could get that flag and kiss a certain someone.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: Okay so the ending sucks really bad. I promise to update later today :) Thanks so much everyone!

        -Breann