Chapter 54

[Back to when Grey and Nico left to find Avery]

Luke’s POV

            After I took a shower from the games and after Chase’s burning, I was walking back towards the cabin when I heard a howl split through the air. I froze and looked towards where the sound had come from; the woods.

            I raised an eyebrow at the sound; it wasn’t something that I’ve heard before. I’ve heard the hellhounds howl but this was different, louder- stronger somehow. I shrugged and continued towards the cabin when I heard another howl. I ignored it, thinking it was just another monster in the woods.

            It was dark out but I managed to make my way to the cabin and start putting my clothes away. The younger kids were already asleep but they shifted from time to time, probably from the howls.

            Just as I thought about the howl, another one split through the air causing one of the kids to jump awake and start crying. I looked at them sympathetically and walked over to his bed then pulled him on my lap. He sat in my lap facing me while he was holding on to my shirt and crying. I tried to calm him down by rubbing his back and rocking him slightly. “It’s okay Peter,” I said in a soft voice to calm him down. “It’s alright, shhh… it’s alright.”

            After a while, Peter finally calmed down and looked up at me with puffy red eyes. I looked down at him and brushed a strand of blonde hair from his face like an older brother would. I was after all the ‘fatherly’ figure of this ‘family.’ “W-what was that?” Peter asked in a small, shaking voice.

            I thought about lying to him but I was becoming curious myself. “I don’t know, bud. I’ll go find out if you want?” He nodded eagerly and I smiled. “You have to get to bed first.” I said and he nodded again and crawled into bed. I tucked him in and told him goodnight then jogged out of the cabin to where everyone was gathered around the edge of the woods.

            My wet hair clung to my forehead and I swept it aside when I finally reached the crowd gathered around the woods. “What’s going on?” I asked.

            Everyone turned to me, their eye wide with fear. I raised an eyebrow as I saw even the toughest kids looking like they could cry for their mommy’s.

            In the end, it was Clarisse who answered. “Wolves. So many wolves.” She muttered. My eyebrow shot up more.

            “Wolves don’t have that strong of a howl, Clarisse.” I corrected.

            “T-these ones do. Then Grey came back with Avery in her arms from the woods-”

            I cut her off, “Avery was in the woods? Why? Was she alone?” I asked, my voice rising from worriedness. Guilt flashed in Clarisse’s eyes and my first clenched. “Where is she?” I demanded, my voice hard and stern.

            Clarisse was silent then after I took another step she whispered, “The infirmary.”

            My whole body clenched and I swiftly turned away to run to the infirmary.

            When I was about to turn the corner I ran into someone having me fall on my butt. I groaned from the impact at me running full speed into someone. Someone else groaned and I looked over at them to see Thalia. When she saw me her eyes hardened. I stood up then offered her my hand but she looked at it then hit it away scoffing as she got up herself. I didn’t understand why she was being so immature so I got straight to business. “Where’s Avery.” I asked.