Chapter 41

Avery’s POV
            After I was kicked out of the stables by Luke, I paced outside of the stables shaking. I never knew that Luke could get so upset! I’ve never seen him- or anyone for that matter-so mad!
            I paused in my pacing. Was he mad at me? I asked myself and started to completely freak. Oh gods, oh gods. He probably is! I ranted to myself as I frantically paced back and forth blocking all sound out.
            Faintly I could hear yelling and noises coming from the stables but I didn’t think much about them, until I heard someone scream. My eyes widened and I turned to run into the stables but my hand stopped inches from the door. What if Luke yelled at me again?
            Deciding that I didn’t want him to be even upset with me I ran to find the closest group of kids. After I found them, I frantically called them over to the stables having them rush in. There was some more yelling while I waited, ringing my shirt together in my hands.
            Luke was the first one to come out of the doors. I gasped when I saw him. He had horrible scratches all over him. “You’re hurt!” I said and he looked down at himself then at me.
            “There are just a few scratches.” He muttered but I shook my head.
            “Some of these are pretty deep!” I pointed out- worried, “Let’s go get you cleaned up.” I said and finally he gave in and nodded.  
            We walked in an awkward silence with Luke still looking pissed and walked stiffly while I looked at the ground fiddling with my hands, not wanting to get him mad again.
            When I couldn’t take it any longer I asked quietly. “Are you mad at me?”
            Luke seemed taken aback by the question and looked at me shaking his head. “No,” He said, “I’m not.”
            I sighed out in relief and the weight from my stomach was lifted. As we walked it was less awkward but still awkward. It was silent until Luke spoke. “Did you want to?” He asked though it seemed hard for him to ask, more forced like he didn’t want to know the answer.  
            “Want to what?” I asked, confused.
            “You know,” Luke swallowed and gritted his teeth as if hating the thought. “Kiss him. Did you want to?”
            I was taking aback by his question just like he was mine. “Not that it’s any of your business.” I said slowly, “But no, I didn’t.”
            Luke stopped walking and his blue eyes brightened happily. “Really? Why?
            “Um…” I said awkwardly and looked away, ringing my hands embarrassed by him asking me this. “I just had met him and I don’t think you should kiss someone you first met.”
            “Then why did you almost kiss him?” Luke pressed.
            I shrugged and told him honestly, “I didn’t know what to do. And I didn’t want to be rude and say no. I-I’ve never been kissed before so I didn’t know how to react.”
            Luke’s eyes widened at the last part. “Really?” I shook my head ‘no' and Luke seemed to walk a little lighter as if the things I had said made him happier. 
            When we finally made it to the infirmary the Apollo kids weren’t there so I decided to do it myself. I grabbed the supplies that I needed and started to treat Luke’s wounds while he watched me with an expression that I didn’t know how to place.
            I gently cleaned his wounds and worked diligently, focusing on my work until I got to the wound on his chest. I bit my lip and blushed deeply. “You’re uh-” I blushed more, “You’re gonna have to take off your shirt.” I said and quickly glanced at him to see him smirk and slowly take off his shirt.
            As desperately as I tried to look at the wound on his chest, I couldn’t help but watch the parts that weren’t wounded.
            When he was pulled the shirt over his head and lifted it, I could see every muscle rippled and dang he had a fine torso! I watched until I realized that I shouldn’t be and looked away, bright red. I looked back at him scanned his abs one more time while I let my eyes train down lower, I looked away again embarrassed but then I heard him suppress a groan. Immediately I thought he was hurting something and I looked back at him worried while he threw his shirt over his lap quickly.
            “Are you okay?” I asked worried and searched his eyes for pain but only found a darker shade of blue, for some reason, and he just shook his head with his lip in his teeth as if he was trying not to make a sound. He shifted uncomfortably and placed the shirt more firmly on his lap, though I didn’t know why.
            I shrugged and went back to work but the whole time Luke started to act really weird.