Chapter 22

Avery’s POV

            That was one of the most terrifying things I had ever done in my life! I would almost rather fight Mrs. Gretcher again! All those eyes on me made me feel so small, so insignificant.

            I tried to keep my eyes away from the Ares table but I glanced at them and saw them looking like I was a piece of meat. I knew that I would be meeting them sooner or later, I was the new kid and I had to earn my rights here.

            Some of the people looked really nice and gave me a few smiles but I was scared out of my mind!

            When I was up there, I glanced over at the Hermes cabin and caught Luke’s eye. He smiled at me and gave me a thumbs up.

            That helped alleviate some of my terror but I was just praying that it would end soon.

            Finally, they let me go back down and I almost tripped trying to scramble back to my cabin mates.

            Jacie and Luke were waiting for me and Jacie gave me a huge hug telling me I did a good job. Then she dragged me to the campfire.

            I noticed that Luke wasn’t coming so I stopped to look back. Sure enough, Luke was sitting there with his arms crossed and smiling. I mouthed, ‘You coming?’ He just smiled brighter and nodded.

            At that time Jacie pulled at my arm, telling me to hurry. My gaze was ripped away from Luke’s but that didn’t stop me from looking back one last time to find him still looking at me. I blushed then turned back and jogged to where Jacie was dragging me to.

            When we finally got to the campfire it was an absolutely huge pit with- what seemed like- hundreds of benches all carved with a certain symbol of a God or Goddess that surrounded the fire.

            Jacie dragged me to the Hermes benches and started to introduce me to the campers there.

            All the names blurred together- Jennifer, Kelsey, Chad, Jared, Ethan, Whitney, and so many more that I couldn’t name for the life of me!

            Luke ended up joining a little latter on and shot me a smile from where he sat. I ended up blushing and looking away- I didn’t know what else to do. He was so attractive! I didn’t know how to act around him! He was the first guy that I would ever say that I have… a crush on him. I shook my head clearing my thoughts.

            The camp fire was actually a lot more fun than I thought it would be. We joked around, ate s’mores, sang songs about the Gods, and told scary stories until it was time to go back to our cabins.

            On the way back to the Hermes cabin I told Jacie to keep going and I’d be there in a minute. “Remember that curfew is in a 5 minutes.” She reminded then jogged up to the rest of the Hermes cabin.

            I smiled then turned and walked towards where Grey’s cabin was: the Hades cabin.

            When I walked up to it I shivered at how creepy it was. I knocked quickly and waited until someone opened the door.

            The door started to open and I looked up to see Grey’s smiling face. “Avery!” She exclaimed.

            I smiled, “Hey Grey.”

            She walked forwards and gave me a hug, “How are you doing?” She whispered in my ear.

            I closed my eyes, with my arms wrapped around her, and sighed. “I don’t know, I’m just glad I’m away from the orphanage.”

            Grey pulled away and gave me a sympathetic look, “How are you healing up?” She whispered.

            Biting my lip I lifted up my shirt and showed her the bruises on my stomach. She grimaced, “I’m so sorry Avery.” She said and started to tear up.

            “Hey,” I said and hugged her again, “It’s not like it’s your fault. It wasn’t you, you couldn’t have done anything.”

            “But I could have stop him,” She whimpered, “I could have… Done… something to make him stop hitting you.” She said a tear falling down her face.

            “What’s done is done Grey.” I said trying to not tear up too, “I’m just glad I’m somewhere safe now.”

            She nodded another tear slipping from her eye.

            Wanted to get on a happier note I changed the subject, “So how’s that Nico kid?”

            Her cheeks immediately went bright red and she looked back in the cabin, “You are so lucky he’s not here right now!” She hissed teasingly.

            I smiled, “You guys look cute together,” I said nudging her and making her go redder than the strawberries in the fields.

            “What about you and the Hermes cabin counselor,” She said raising her eye brows up and down.

            This time, it was my turn to be red in the face, “I-I mean-he’s cute and all but come on Avery, I don’t think- it’s just-”

            Grey smirked, “You so like him.”

            I bit my lip and looked back, checking for anyone to overhear. Looking back at her I slightly nodded. Immediately I regretted it because she squealed and made some of the nearby campers yell at her and tell her to shut up.

            We both laughed and hugged each other again, saying goodbye. “I want to hear all the details!” Grey said in a sing-song voice.

            “Goodnight Grey!” I called back and ran to the Hermes cabin.