Chapter 9

Avery’s POV
            Through the whole time of listening to the principal lecture me and tell me that I was going to be expelled, I didn’t listen. I looked out the window wishing I was some kind of an animal, a wolf maybe. Life would be so much simpler. No school, no orphanage, no friends betraying you… I sighed out loud and turned my attention to the principal.
            After the whole lecture, which I didn’t listen to, they escorted me off the property and shut the gates on me, handing me a note that would tell Mrs. Gretcher that I wasn’t welcome to come back again.
            I was used to it by now, I was kicked out of plenty of schools; only difference about this one was that I had a friend…Grover.
            Tears stung my eyes just thinking about him. How could he do that to me? I thought we were friends!
            Shaking my head, I tried to clear my thoughts of him but ended up only crying more.
            Finally, I decided that there was only one person that could cheer me up: Grey.
            Me and Grey had a special connection. If I ever needed her help I could call to her and she would immediately come, she could do the same to me but usually she could handle herself.
            Grey! I thought. I need you.
            Immediately I felt Grey coming closer towards me. With our special connection we could feel each other’s emotions and we could sense each other like a GPS.
             Feeling a breeze Grey was suddenly next to me in a matter of seconds. Her face was completely concerned but I was crying too much I couldn’t tell her anything so I just placed my hands in front of me.
            She looked at them, confused, then finally realized that I wanted her to look through my memories.
            Grey took hold of my hands and closed her eyes focusing on the memories. When she saw what happened she let go of my hands and jumped back. She looked around furiously, as if waiting for something to attack us any second.
            “What-what’s the matter?” I choked out through my tears.
            Her eyes were wild in fear and she looked at me, trying to change her face so she wouldn’t scare me so bad but it didn’t work. “We need to get home.” She said frantically, “We need to get somewhere safe!”
            “What did you see?” I asked.
            She shook her head and looked down, muttering to herself. “Monsters are going to overrun us soon. You’re scent is going to be stronger now.”
            “What?” I asked, only hearing bits and pieces of what she said but from what I heard it wasn’t good.
            Grey gave me and apologetic look and took me by my shoulders, “Look, Avery, I promise that I’ll explain everything to you but right now you just need to listen to me. I promise I’ll get you out of here!”
            “Grey, what-what are you talking about?” I stuttered.
            She closed her eyes tight, in a regretting matter. “I promise everything will make since soon. But really Avery, you need to just do as I say.”
            I nodded, not sure what was going on but from the look on Grey’s face she looked pretty shaken.
            She took my hand and raced me towards the orphanage.
            A problem that we should have thought about before, was how far the orphanage was. It was at least two miles away and by the time we stopped running to take a break, Grey seemed to realize this. She did a famous New York cabbie whistle and a taxi stopped and we both got in. “Tell them to go to the orphanage.” She told me and I nodded and relayed the message.
            When we finally stopped at the house the cab driver turned to me and told me the change. My eyes widened when I realized I didn’t have any money to give him.
            Grey cursed in some strange language and started to fish something out of the pockets of her dress. “Aha!” She said when she finally caught hold of the object. She pulled out a gold coin and my eyes widened. Grey handed it to me and I handed it, regretfully might I add, to the cab driver.
            The coin looked like solid gold and the driver’s eyes widened to the size of basketballs.
            “Tell him to keep the change.” Grey told me and unbuckled her seatbelt.
            “Wow! No way! That’s like pure gold!”
            “Just trust me!” Grey told me sternly and I sighed in defeat and told the driver to keep it. I could practically see the dollar signs in his eyes.
            As soon as we stepped out of the car he was gone lightning fast, as if he didn’t want me to change my mind about giving him the money.
            I watched as he speed off until I turned around to see the person that I most didn’t want to see. Grover.