Chapter 76

Luke’s POV

            My head hug low watching the grass as I walked back to the cabins, my hands in my pockets. Life had been pretty boring lately, Avery…something was off with her. She hardly ever talked to me or anyone else, and when she did, she seemed so distant and far off. After activities, I hardly ever saw her. She disappeared into the woods and no one could find her, no matter how hard we searched. Camouflage was an ability of Artemis so she must have acquired it from her.        

            Sighing, I lifted my head slightly, then lowered it but as soon as the figure registered in my mind, I snapped my head up. Sure enough, it was Avery entering in the woods, alone.

            My mouth opened to call out to her, my hand extended but I shook my head. She wouldn’t stop by me telling her that she wasn’t safe in the woods.

            I thought quickly and rushed to the cabins into the Athena cabin. I found Annabeth’s cap of invisibility easily and quickly raced back to where Avery was, thankfully she wasn’t walking fast and I could still see her.

            Quickly, as I ran, I slipped on the cap and became invisible. I smiled while I ran and followed Avery, this time she wouldn’t be able to hide from me.

            After following her for some time, I got lazy and didn’t watch my foot work. It wasn’t loud enough for anyone to hear, but Avery turned her head like a dog hearing something. She nocked an arrow in her bow with lightning speed as she spun around, facing me with her eyes narrowed in confusion when no one was there.

            Her silver eyes scanned in front of her, the arrow following where her eyes looked. I held my breath, trying to make sure that she didn’t hear me. Thankfully, Avery’s jaw clenched in defeat and she continued walking, though with her bow still armored.

            We walked four steps forwards before she suddenly snapped around, dropped her bow and hit her wrists together, her daggers extending in her hands. I yelped as she ran straight into me, having us roll, the hat falling off my head. When she pinned me to the ground, her daggers were on each side of my neck, the edge of the blade at my throat while she was straddling my waist.  My eyes were wide as I felt the cold Celestial Bronze daggers at my neck, and amazed at how fasted she moved.

            “Luke?” Avery asked softly and confused once she saw my face.  I gave a weak smile and her face hardened as she hit her wrists together and got off of me, stomping towards her bow and snatching it up, putting the arrow back in her quiver and studying her bow. “What are you doing?” She asked, her voice hard and blocked off but I knew her better than that. She wouldn’t look at me in the eye but from that few moments when she had me pinned to the ground, her eyes showed fear, not from the attacker- me- but from something else.

            Concern washed across my face from how she was acting. “Avery…” I said, drawing out her name as I went to touch her but as soon as my fingertips touched the skin on her arms, she ripped away from me.

            “Don’t touch me.” She muttered angrily.

            “Avery, what’s wrong?”

            “Nothing.” She responded harshly making me blink in surprise. Avery was always so sweet to everyone, something was wrong. She would have never done that, especially to me.

            “Please Avery,” I begged, “Tell me what’s wrong.”

            “Just go away Luke.” She said at first angry but her voice broke at the end.