Chapter 51

Avery’s POV

            That night we burned Chase in a traditional fire with the coffin decorated in symbols of Athena. All the Athena kids were chocked up and they had the people that knew him the best go up and give a small speech about him. After the ceremony everyone started to get ready for bed. They had already announced the winning team but we skipped the campfire, seeing as no one was in the mood.

            We never did find out who killed Chase. He had bled to death from multiple wounds all over his body. I couldn’t believe that someone would kill him. It was just a game- Capture the Flag- it wasn’t a real life or death situation.

            Everyone had already left to get ready for bed but I strayed towards the woods. I didn’t care that no one was with me; I just needed to be alone.

            I hugged my arms and walked forwards until I found myself at the spot where Chase had died. I forced myself not to cry and turned my head away rubbing my arms to keep from crying.

            My heard turned when I heard voices. “I’m going to kill her for ruining the game!” I heard Clarisse hiss.

            Immediately my eyes widened and I froze. Tell me they aren’t talking about me. I prayed in my head.

              Suddenly, Clarisse and a two of her siblings came through the trees and saw me. Clarisse smirked and twirled her sword. “Well, well, well. Speak of the devil.”

            My heart skipped a beat from fear as I realized that they were talking about me.

            “I am sooo going to kill you for your little ‘act’ during capture the flag.” Clarisse smirked. “Get her.” She commanded and suddenly the two people that stood next to Clarisse walked forward. I muttered my swords name and it extended into my hand. Clarisse laughed hysterically. “Really?” She asked smiling wickedly and tried to catch her breath. “You really think you could beat us? We’re kids of Ares, punk. We own weapons!”

             Before I could have time to think of what she was talking about my sword retracted into its ring again. I said the name but it wouldn’t extend in my hand, I yelled the name but nothing. I started to panic and hit my wrist but they weren’t working either. More frantically, I tried again but nothing happened. I looked up at her and her siblings laughing as they stalked towards me. It was only then that I realized that children of Ares could curse your weapons for a period of time.

            Fear prickled off my skin like sharp needles. I took a step back but the Ares kids just walked closer. Suddenly they rushed forwards and grabbed my arms lifting me into the air. I kicked and screamed but they wouldn’t let go of me and instead shoved me up against the tree, hard.

            My head smacked the back of the tree trunk and my vision started to get hazy. I started to see spots and I felt something warm run down my head; blood.

            “Hold her there.” Clarisse demanded then walked closer to me and took my face in her grip, squeezing my cheeks hard. “I told you to stay out of my way.” She said, “It looks like you need a punishment.”

            I tried to speak and tell her to back away, like I did the first time that I met her, but I couldn’t muster any words. I tried the powers that have happened before but it only made my head hurt worse.

            Suddenly I felt Clarisse’s fist meet my stomach. I groaned but before I could try to recover or scream for help, Clarisse punched me again, this time harder. When her fist collided with my stomach I screamed out but one of the kids held a dirty hand over my mouth. Another punch left tears stinging my eyes as a muffled scream came out.