Arc 3: Chapter 15

The next few days pass slowly. I've recovered well and I'm ready to move on.

We gather our things and head out. Its snowing pretty heavily when we make it outside. Luckily the cold slows down the walkers so they won't really be an issue.

"Where are we going?" I ask Luke as we pile into the car.

"Somewhere safe." he says.

"There isn't somewhere safe.." I frown.

I climb into the back seat, Carl sits next to me.

"Hey Carl, how bout you give Clem that thing.." he says referring to the gun they had found a few days ago.

"Oh yeah." Carl searches through his backpack and takes it out.

"Oh... where did you find this?" I ask

"We turned it up in an outlet mall." Carl smiles.

"Thank you!" I grab it from him.

"It was my idea." Carl smiles proudly.

"I love it." I say giving Carl a huge hug.

"So Luke, where are we going now?" He asks.

"I don't know. Maybe an old motel where we won't have to deal with more people... hopefully." he says.

I get a sad look on my face reminding me of the motel I was at with Lee.

"What's the matter Clem?" Carl asks.

"I used to stay at a motel when this first started with.. Lee. But I just need to let go of the past." I say sadly.

"It's okay.. was Lee your dad?" Carl asks.

"No, he found me the first few days and protected me better then anyone ever has in my life. He died trying to keep me safe.." I say as I feel tears form in my eyes.

"How'd he die?" He quietly asks.

"He was bitten. He was about to turn, so I killed him." I look away sadly.

"Christ..."

"I was only nine. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do in my entire life. I hope I won't have to do it again." I say as I feel the tears drip down my face.

"I had to kill my mom..." Carl trails off.

I look up at him I can see tears forming in his eyes too.

I don't say anything. I'm afraid to ask why.

"She was having my baby sister and I had to kill her. The baby didn't make it either, It was just me and my dad at the community together after that. Then it got over run and I saw him as a walker trying to attack me. Without hesitation I just pulled the trigger.....I didn't even get to say good bye..." His voice gets choked up with tears.

We quietly weep together before he asks me, "How did your parents die?"

"They went to Savannah and left me with a babysitter... and they never came back. Lee and I went to look for them but... they were already dead. They were both walkers roaming in the streets. I was so scared, Lee passed out because of his bite and I had to drag him into an abandoned jewelry store where he died about ten minutes later." I squeeze my eyes tight trying to forget the memory.

Carl looks at me sadly. I glance at Luke in the rear view mirror and I see his eyes tearing up as well. He must of had a bad experience he hasn't ever told me about.

"Luke? Do you wanna talk?" I ask.

"Nah, nah I'm fine." he says.

"Are you sure?" I ask.

"Yes, I'm f-fine." he stutters as a single tear runs down his cheek.

I look down at the floor of the car. I feel my eyes get heavy so I lean my head on Carl's shoulder and fall asleep.