Arc 3: Chapter 17

Three weeks later

We ran out of gas a few days ago so we've had to walk. I haven't talked much to Luke or Carl.

They've been worrying about me. They keep trying to get me to talk to them about the baby but I don't even want to think of it.

"Clem, we need to talk about this. Seriously." Luke says walking next to me.

"Luke, I've told you I don't want to discuss this." I say.

"We need to Clem. This isn't something we can just ignore." he says.

"I know....but..." I trail off.

"You need to decide what you want to do before it's too late." he says.

"It may be too late, its already grown. I think it's wrong to do that." I say hanging my head.

"So now you know what Carl and I meant." Luke says sadly.

"Yeah..."

"So your gonna keep it?" Luke cautiously asks.

"I...I guess..." I say.

"It's the right thing to do." he says.

"I'm just..." I pause taking a deep breath. "afraid." I admit. I don't like showing weakness around them.

"I know Clem." he says softly pulling me in for a hug.

I feel tears form in my eyes.

"Luke...I don't want to die." I sniffle.

"You won't Clem, you'll be okay. Everything will be fine." He says.

"You don't know that." I say sadly.

"Yes I do, I promise it's you before anyone else." He says.

"What if there's complications or something?" I ask.

"We'll figure it out, well make sure you stay safe and alive." he says.

Tears run down my face. "Clem, I promise." Luke looks deep into my eyes.

The sun was peeking out through the storm clouds and was shining down on Luke's face. His eyes were a golden brown, there were dark spirals around his pupil. It was a beautiful color. I wanted to cry. I saw the emptiness in them, they lead right into his sole. I could feel his pain. He was worried about me and was uncertain of the future.

"Nothing will ever be okay." I say as more tears run down my face.

He sighs and looks down at the ground.

"Come on let's keep goin." Luke says.

It began snowing, the jacket I had wasn't keeping me warm enough. I crossed my arms over myself attempting to make myself warmer. It didn't help.

After twenty minutes of walking, the cold was really getting to me. I began to shake. I walk slower behind them.

Luke looks back and notices how far back I am.