Arc 4: Chapter 21

I wake up and see Luke sitting on the ground with a gun in his hand.

"Luke what are you doing?" I ask.

"I can't do this..." He says.

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"This world is so fucked up, everyone's just gonna die. And I've been thinking, I couldn't handle it if you died. I wouldn't go on. I don't want to see you like one of those things. I'm not doing this anymore." He point the gun to his head.

My blood runs cold.

"Luke stop!" I shout.

"I'll miss you Clementine." He says.

Before he can blow his brains out I jump on top of him.

"No! I'm not letting you just kill yourself!" I snap.

"Clem what the hell I could of shot you!" He shouts at me.

"You need to stop feeling sorry for yourself! I've lost my people too! My mom, my dad, Lee! All of my friends! And you don't see me sitting on the ground throwing myself a pity party! I use that to make me stronger! Don't just give up when you think it's to hard! You still have me and I need you, even if I die I need you to keep going. Keep going for me" I say.

"Clem, I'm not letting you die." He kneels down and gives me a hug.

"Yeah, same." I say.

"C'mon lets get outta here." He says.

"Luke, it seems like we're always moving, constantly. How come we can't just find a safe place?" I ask.

"Because no where's safe anymore." He says.

"So what are we suppose to do? Where are we suppose to go?" I ask.

"Anywhere. Just about anyplace that'll hold up for the two of us." He says.

"We're in the middle of no where. We could just go back to the hospital but--"

"I'm not going back there." He interrupts me.

"It's because of Nick, isn't it?" I ask.

"I don't want to look back and I don't want to hold that memory anymore or the thought of him." He says.

"I'm sorry for mentioning it." I say.

He lets out a sigh.

I don't know what else to say, I don't know how to pull him out of this.

"When do you think we'll get out of this area?" I ask.

"I'm not sure Clem." He answers.

"When I was younger, my friend Kenny had a plan to get us on a boat. Walkers can't swim so we would be safe." I say.

"What are you trying to tell me?" He asks.

"Maybe we could get a boat and live on the water, maybe we'll finally be safe." I say.

"First of all, where are we going to find a boat that actually works? Second of all what are we going to do? Live on it for the rest of our lives? What about food and water?" He asks.

"I don't know. I was assuming you would know the answers." I say.

"I don't Clem, and I don't think that's the best idea." He says.

"There no where else to go." I snap.

"I know that, Clem." He snaps back.

"Look, we just need to-" Luke stops speaking.

A man comes from the surrounding woods and falls to the ground.

We stand there motionless for a few moments before I pull out my gun and aim it at him.

"Don't move." I demand.

"Woah, I'm not gonna kill you guys or anything. I just need to get out of here." He says as he tries to collect his breath.

"Are people chasing you?" Luke asks with his arms crossed.

"Y-Yes. And I really need to get out of here. You probably should too. These people are maniacs." He says.

I scowl at him.

"Just put the gun down... And we can both walk out of here...." I holster my gun when he suddenly takes his gun out from behind him and tries to shoot at me. I fall to the ground, dodging the bullet.

I take my gun back out of the holster. I look over at the man, his eyes are locked on my hand.

"You said we could BOTH walk out of here!" I shout aiming my small pistol at him.

"I-- I didn't trust you! I thought you were going to shoot! I had to do what was needed to keep myself alive!" He panics.

"You saw me put my gun away and you shot at us anyways!!" I shout at him.

"I was just scared." He says.

I watch his hand slowly inch towards his gun.

With out hesitation I shoot him, I only hit his arm.

"Agh!" He cries in pain.

"Did you think I didn't see you moving your hand towards your gun!" I shout.

He looks at Luke and I for a few moments.

"Can I... can I come with you guys?" He asks.

"What the hell man?!" Luke says.

"I'm sorry for shooting at you, I have nothing more to loose, I didn't know if you were going to kill me. I just don't know where I'm going or where to go. Please let me come with you." He says.

"What about the people chasing you?" I ask.

"If we all go together now we can shake them off." He says.

"I'm not buying this." I say.

"I'll prove it! Please! I'll do anything!" He begs.

I look at Luke and back at the man.

"Surrender all of your weapons." I order.

He places his gun on the ground.

"That's it?" I ask.

"Yes." He looks me straight in the eye when he answers.

I give Luke another uneasy glance.

"Please.."