Arc 4: Chapter 25

"What was the dream about Clem?" Luke asks me with kind eyes.

"It was weird, just about everyone I've ever known. They were all screaming at me, saying it was my fault." I say.

"Hmm.. how 'bout you get back to sleep here, while I go out and try to catch us some food." He suggests.

I give him a slight smile and nod my head.

I roll over onto my side and close my eyes. I can hear Luke's foot steps fade away as he walks further into the woods. The cold air blows past me, sending a could shiver through my body.

I toss and turn, my mind races, unable to sleep. That dream still makes me feel upset. I don't think I want to go back to sleep and risk having another one.

I guess I'll just help Luke look for something to catch.

I walk into the woods. "Luke?" I call out.

"Stop fuckin' lying and just tell us where he is!" A voice booms through the trees.

"Look man, I don't know who you're looking for." Luke's voice rings in my ears.

I hear the click of a gun, making my spine stiffen.

"We're the hell is he!?" The voice screams.

He could be talking about the man in the woods who tried to kill us! Shit!

I follow the voices, listening as they grow louder and louder. I see a gap in between the large trees and catch a glimpse of Luke's bright orange shirt.

"Oh God." I say to myself as I draw my pistol through the trees.

Can I make the shot?

"That's it!" I see the man go over to Luke and press the gun to his forehead.

"NO!" I run out from my position and shoot my gun at the man. I watch the bullet hit him in the stomach sending him to the ground.

YES!

When suddenly I'm knocked to the ground as well.

"CLEM!!" Luke screams.

I watch him run up to me and lean over my body. Worry floods his face.

"JESUS CHRIST! THIS IS REALLY BAD! FUCK!" He panics.

I begin to feel pain in my chest.

"No, no, no! This can't be happening!" He says as he kneels down and rests my head on his lap.

"What's happening?" I ask as my vision fades in and out from black.

"Oh God, you were shot. Right in your chest, Clem." He chokes.

I begin to take rapid short breaths, trying to collect as much air as I can. Which is suddenly really hard.

"C'mon Clem..." He says.

"Look at me kid!" He begs.

I look into his eyes, Tears are running down his face.

"You're gonna be fine... alright?"

I start coughing, blood drips out of my mouth and down the side of my face.

"I-I'm gettin' you outta here." He says trying not to completely break down into tears.

"...." I try to speak but it's barely audible.

"Yeah Clem?"

"Don't worry about me." I say taking the largest breath my lungs could hold.

"Clem, I can't do this with out you." He says was tears drop down his face.

I grab his shirt and clench it with my fist in response to the pain coming from my chest.

"Hey Clementine, remember how I can sing?" He asks.

I look at him, unable to speak anymore.

"Little girl little girl dont lie to me..." He begins to sing as he tries to fight back more tears.

"Tell me where did you sleep last night
in the pines in the pines where the sun never shines
we'll shiver the whole night through." His voice shakes.

"My daddy was a railroad man
killed a mile and a half from here
his head was found in the driver's wheel
his body was never found." He bites his lower lip to stop himself from crying.

"In the pines in the pines where the sun never shines
we'll shiver the whole night through..."

"You've caused me to weep
you've caused me to mourn
caused me to lose my home."

"Little girl little girl
where'd you sleep last night
not even your mother knows
in the pines in the pines....

where the sun never shines
we'll shiver when the cold winds blow."

I exhale my last breath. Gone.