Arc 4: Chapter 9

I freeze.

"Go on Clem." Nick says.

I ignore him and study the surroundings. I remember when we were all here, when we were all together. When everyone was alive.

"Clem, come on." he says getting impatient.

"I- I don't know if I can." I say trying to fight back more tears.

"Why not?" He asks sounding like he's getting mad.

I put my hands over my ears and put my head in my knees, crying to myself quietly.

"Clem, stop messing around we need medicine for Luke." he says.

I wipe my tears and walk out of the car. Every step I took closer to the pharmacy the more I felt daggers stab into my heart.

The front of the gate was still locked. I looked around and saw a large truck smashed into the wall and a broken ladder on the ground next to it.

I climb onto the truck and then past the fence into the drug store.

I grab everything I can, no matter what it is. But there wasn't much.

Before I left I decided to walk around and reminisce. I know we didn't have time, but it's just something I needed to do. I see a dead pilot that's still a walker, he's been impaled through some sort of metal pole sticking from the wall. I wonder when that happened.

I walk to the front door that we fought the walkers with, trying with every might to not let them through. I see Lee's dad's old cane. The memories made me feel warm but at the same time caused a hot tear to escape.

We need to leave, I can't fool around in here any more.

I leave the drug store, looking back at it one more time before letting go.

Once I get back outside I feel my head drop.

"T-They're gone!" I panic.

My heart starts to pound as I look around the area. They're no where to be found!

Did Nick ditch me?

I don't have a weapon, all I have is a bag of medicine. If other survivors see this, they'll definitely jump me.

It's staring to get dark, I'm all alone.

I walk around the streets searching for their car, nothing. One of the roads I was passing had a large crowd of walkers.

Just walk slow, stay quiet and you'll be fine.

"I need a weapon." I say searching the streets of Macon.

There's a large broken piece of glass, I guess that'll do for now.

I can't believe they left me. Who would just ditch an eleven year old while they search for medicine, trying to do the right thing.

*Sigh*

The streets are completely empty.

"I need to find somewhere safe to stay overnight." I say out loud.

Maybe I can just stay in the pharmacy. Yeah that'll work.

I head back into the pharmacy and open the door leading into the back room. Everything's exactly the same. The desk, the bed, the photo of Lee's family...

"This place looks like it'll hold." I say locking the door.

Just to be safe I push the desk against the door.

I remember pushing this thing with Lee, I'm much stronger now.

I look at the blood stained bed Lee's parents used to sleep on during the first few days of the outbreak.

"I guess I gotta sleep on this dirty old thing." I roll my eyes.

I lay on the bed, trying to make myself as comfortable as possible,who am I kidding. There was barley any cushion in this thing, it's like sleeping in a rock.

"I just can't believe Nick left me! I mean, I thought he was really cool, and I thought he liked me! I know Luke would of never allowed this." I say angrily.

I try to forget about the pain. I was abandoned. He just decided to get rid of me like an old dog! It made me angrier then anything.

I close my eyes and fall asleep.

--

The next morning I wake up in the exact same position I fell asleep in.

"Maybe they came back for me." I say with what little shred of hope I had left.

I move the desk back and slip out of the door and leave the drug store.

I look around, not a car in sight.

"Of corse! I knew they wouldn't come back!" I say angrily.

I walk down a road hoping to find something, someone, anyone. I needed help. I can't just stay around here by myself forever. I'll either starve to death or get bitten by a walker.

It's like a ghost town. I mean you'd expect some survivors to come down here to look for the last bits of what ever remains in these stores.

"I guess it's time to find a new group." I say sadly, almost empty.

--

Once I make it out of down town Macon, I approach the suburbs. There's lost of land, neighborhoods and I see a farm.

"Maybe there's people down there." I say as I head for the farm just yards away.