Arc 4: Chapter 4

Once we finally made it out of the woods, we approached a road.

"Clem, I don't have any idea on where to go." he says.

"We need to get back to the cabin." I say.

"Yeah I know." He says sounding a little aggravated.

"Okay, well, first we should look for food before we starve to death." I say.

"Sure." he shrugs.

I can tell he's disappointed that we never found Nick.

I look in the distance and see an old diner ahead.

"Look." I point to the building.

"Yeah..." he sulks.

"Its not like Nicks dead, let's make the best of this situation. Were trying our best to find him. Right now, we need to focus on getting to that diner and finding food." I frown.

"Alright fine." he says slightly perking up.

There's a big sign, reading 'Gil's Diner'. I remember being at this place before, a while ago. It was when I was with Christa and Omid. That's when Omid...

...

All the terrible memories come back through me, it feels as if I'm reliving them.

My attitude changes back to depression. It's something I've been experiencing a lot lately. Constantly loosing the people I love, it never ends. I just can't get too attached to Luke... but it might be too late for that.

Luke noticed my attitude and walks a little closer to me.

"Hey," he says softly.

"Hey." I answer back.

"What's up?" He asks.

"What do you mean, 'what's up'?"

"how are you doing?" He asks.

"I- I don't know." I say wistfully.

"I mean, you okay?" He asks concerned.

"...No."

He's draws silent trying to think of something to say.

We reach the diner. Luke cocks his gun and keeps his hands tightly grasped around it. I follow behind him defenselessly.

"See 'em?" He asks locking is eyes on the walker.

"Yeah."

"Watch this." he fires the gun, fortunately it didn't make a lot of noise.

"Why was it quiet?" I ask.

"I've got a silencer on it." he smirks.

We run through the empty parking lot, reaching the doors to the diner. We both put our ears against the door listening for any noises.

"Do you hear anything?" He whispers.

"Nu-uh... Oh wait!" I listen closely, thinking I heard a sound.

I listen again, silence. I wait for another sound, then I hear it. Its someone coughing.

"Luke, there's someone in there." I whisper.

"What?"

"Listen,"

He leans against the door hearing the noise too.

"Okay, here's how we're going to deal with this. Were going to take this by force." he says.

"Okay." I say uneasily. This idea was horrible.

"Alright, good."

He kicks open the door where see a man sitting on the ground in a small puddle of blood. He has a baseball cap on and looks to be in his forties.

"What's going on here?" Luke asks sternly aiming his gun at the man's head.

"What does it look like? I'm fucking bitten." he snarls.

"How'd this happen?" Looking at the tear in his clothing where the walker got him.

"Well, I was bit on my way to this shitty pit stop. If your looking for supplies, you ain't gonna find any. What ever was left I took." he laughs.

"How 'bout I just kill you now and take it then?" Luke snaps.

"Too late kid, my boys already took everything we found and hit the road, leaving me here to die. I mean, I wouldn't blame them. I wouldn't want to deal with some one in my condition either."

Luke narrows his eyebrows and tightens his grasp on the gun, trying to act more badass then he really is.

"What's you name?" Luke asks.

"Nate, your's?"

"Luke."

"What about the girls?" He asks.

This guy looked like a total asshole, I didn't want him to know anything about me.

"Clementine." Luke replies.

"Clementine? The hell kinda names that?"

"I'm so sick of hearing that." I roll my eyes.

"It's a stupid name. What parents would name their kid Clementine?" He laughs weakly.

"Alright enough." Luke stands up for me.

"So what the hell do you want? There's nothing here." he growls.

"Just gonna look around, if ya don't mind." Luke glares.

"Go ahead, you ain't gonna find nothin!"

Luke walks into the back kitchen, I follow.

"Clem, look for any supplies." he orders.

We look through shelves and cabinets. Nothing.

Luke walks back out to where Nate sits.

"I told you!" He snaps.

I stay in the back, refusing to stop searching. I wasn't leaving this place empty handed, there had to be something.

There's another smaller room, it's a meat locker. The looks of it sent a chill up my spine.

I open the vault, my heart sinks and my blood runs cold at what I see in front of me.