Arc 4: Chapter 10

The walk didn't look that far but it was. I can finally see the farm. I head toward the gates when I freeze. I see people, I sigh in relief, but I don't know who these people are though. They could be trouble.

There's a house in the farm and several small tents placed around a fire farther out in the property.

I see people talking, I try to listen to what they're talking about.

"Rick, what are we gonna do about those walkers in that barn? Those things are going to kill us if we don't take care of that!" A man with a shaved hair cut says.

"I know I know, but this isn't our farm. It's Hershel's and we don't want to get kicked out of here by snooping around and messing with things, Shane." The man named 'Rick' says.

Okay, I think I should show myself. They seem normal. Hopefully.

"H-hey, don't shoot." I say putting my hands up surrendering to the men.

"Who are you?" The bald man says aiming his gun at me.

"Clementine, look I'm lost. The people I was with abandoned me while I was looking for supplies in a drug store." I say showing the bag of medicine.

"That's all medicine? What kind?" Rick asks me.

"Ibuprofen's, Peroxide, Bandages, anything I could find." I say.

"What do you need that for?" The other man beside Rick asks.

"My friend Luke, he got a really bad leg infection and I needed this medicine to stop the infection but it's too late. They're gone." I say.

"How'd you find this place?" Rick asks.

"On my way from Macon I saw this place in the distance. I was hoping there was a group of people so then I wouldn't have to be alone anymore." I admit.

"So you think we're just going to let you stay in our group?" The other man asks.

"Shane, she's a little girl. What harm can she do?" Rick says to Shane.

"What weapons do you have?" Shane asks me.

I take the broken pice of glass out of my pocket and toss it onto the ground.

"That's it?" Shane asks.

"Yes." I answer truthfully.

The two men stare at me for a moment, then back at each other.

Rick lets out a sigh.

"Alright, c'mon." he puts his hands on his hips.

I walk over to the gate and jump over it.

"Lets introduce you to the group." Rick says leading me towards the farm house.

It was beautiful and quiet out here.

"Thank you." I say to Rick.

"Don't mention it." he says approaching the house.

As he opens the door, first glance, is filled with people.

I get a little nervous as many eyes stare me down, like I'm the new kid at school.

"Everyone, this is Clementine. She's joining our group." Rick announces as the house grows quiet.

I see a boy, he looks to be about my age, maybe a year or two older.

He has brown hair and crisp blue eyes and a sheriffs hat on his head. He looks so familiar, I just can't put my finger on it.

"Clementine, how old are you?" Rick asks me.

"Eleven." I answer.

"My son Carl is just a year older then you. He's over there." Rick says pointing towards Carl.

"Carl...?" I say.

He was in my dream! He was older though and we were dating. Gross!

Rick walks over to Carl. I see him pointing at me probably telling him to introduce himself.

This would be really awkward for me even though I don't actually know this kid, and he doesn't know me. But the dream just kinda fucked everything up for me.

I decide to leave the house and walk outside in the large field. I find a tipped over log and take a seat on it.

It's so quiet. I'm all by myself out here watching the sunset. Alone.

Shane walks past me into the house, scowling at me. I don't think he trusts me yet.

*Sigh*

The truth is I do miss Luke an Nick. Luke is probably dead by now, if it wasn't blood infection that killed him it was his fever. Even though they abandoned me I can't stay mad at them. I loved them both to much, they were great friends. Notice how I said 'were'.

I hear the grass crunching behind me. I turn around and to my surprise it was Carl. I felt myself blush bright red.

"Hi, I'm Carl." his high pitched cracking voice shocked me. I expected his voice to be deep and bold.

"I'm Clementine." I say.

"My dad said you were eleven, I'm twelve." he gives a friendly smile.

"Yeah I am." I say.

"How did you get here? Where's your parents?" He asks me obliviously.

"They're dead. They died a while ago." I say drawing silent.

"How'd they die?" He asks me.

"I don't know, but I saw them in the streets of Savannah, dead." It hurt to say that.

"So, how did you find us?" He asks.

"I saw this place in the distance from where I was. My group abandoned me." I say.

"Why?"

"I don't know." I say.

"Can I sit?" He asks.

"Go ahead." I say.

"So what about your mom? I've met your dad already." I say.

"She's here." he smiles.

"You're lucky." I say sadly.

"Yeah." he awkwardly says not knowing how to respond.

"I miss them." I say.

"I bet." he says.

"I miss them so much." I say putting my face in my hands.

"I'm sorry about that." he says.

Tears form in my eyes.

"Me too."