Arc 1: Chapter 13

I wake up the next morning, my shoulder hurts from laying on it all night. I slowly get up. My side is still slightly sore.

I walk into the kitchen to look for food. I remembered there wasn't any left. Luke was still asleep so I walked into one of the rooms and collected my things.

I grabbed my water bottle, my drawing of Kenny and his family and finally the picture of Lee. I put them all in my backpack and swung it over my shoulder.

I sat back down on the couch and messed with my fingers in boredom. The cast Luke made for me was really uncomfortable but it worked. I could feel it healing itself.

A little while later Luke came trudging out of his room. "Mornin Clem." He says in a scratchy morning voice.

"Morning." I say back with a smile.

"So you ready to head out?" He asks.

"Yeah." I say.

"You got everything?" He asks.

"Yep." I assure him.

Luke takes our medical supplies and puts them in a bag. He grabs AJ and walks out the door. I follow behind.

We first set out on foot until we can find a working car. Luke keeps looking behind us to make sure there is no one following us.

It's becoming night, my legs are very sore and I'm really tired. "Luke, what are going to do for the night? Where are going to sleep?" I ask.

"When we find a place that looks safe enough to sleep in." Luke says.

I can hear in his voice, he is tired too.

"I'm getting really tired." I whine.

"Me too Clem." He says.

It's almost the next morning. We've been walking all night long. My legs hurt more then they did last night.

"Can we please rest?" I complain.

"Clem, I told you. Once we get to an area that I think is safe enough." Luke says.

I just look up at him, his eyes staring straight ahead.

"We are almost to Wellington anyways. According to this map we are only about two hours away." Luke says with a positive tone.

"Only?" I emphasize.

"Hey, it's better then being seven hours away, like we were when we left last night." He snaps.

I remain quiet and keep to my thoughts. I kept thinking about being able to sleep. Every time I thought about it I felt my eyes get heavy. I wondered how Luke managed to say so awake and alert.

After a few more hours of walking we see smoke in the sky. "This is it." Luke says happily. "Finally." I whisper to myself. He looks down and smiles at me. He must of heard me.

We walk up the hill and approach the large gates. There is someone who came out with a gun pointed on us.

"We just want help." Luke says with his hands held up.

"It's just the two of you?" The woman asks.

"Yes... and a baby." Luke says. "We've been walking all night. We're both exhausted." Luke says with a sigh.

"I'll see what we can do." She says as she walks into the building.

"Clem, we won't have to worry about walkers ever again!" Luke says with excitement.

"I just want to sleep." I say.

"Here you can, and you'll have a bed. You wont have to sleep on the couch or on the floor ever again!" Luke says.

The woman returns. "Ok, we can squeeze you in." she says as she opens the gate and leads us into Wellington.

"Thank y'all so much!" Luke says.

"We have a nursery, I'll take the little guy. You can check on him when ever you want but until he gets a little older he's gonna have to stay in the nursery." She says as Luke hands her AJ.

"Follow me, we need to make sure you aren't bitten and stuff like that." She says.

She leads us into a room where another woman sits. "Hello, I'm Cassandra." The woman introduces.

"Hey there, I'm Luke and this is Clementine." He says.

"Luke and Clementine, I have to check you guys for bites. I'll take Clementine first." she says.

She points to a seat for me to sit on while she searches for bites.

"Your gonna need to take off your jacket honey." Cassandra says.

I take off my jacket and see a blood stain on my arm from the dog bite. I completely forgot about that. It must of startled her to see that.

She pulls up my sleeve and examines the dog bite. "What's this?" She asks.

"I was bit by a dog about a month ago." I say truthfully.

"A dog?" She raises her eyebrow in suspicion.

"Yes." I say looking directly into her eyes.

"She's tellin the truth. I was there when it happened. We thought it was a lurker but it wasn't" Luke chimes in.

"This still looks pretty fresh." She says suspiciously.

"That's cause she hasn't taken the bandage off." Luke says.

"I don't know, you also have dark circles under your eyes.." She says even more suspiciously.

"It's cause I'm exhausted." I say.

"You two both seem to have a lot of excuses." she says as she feels my forehead. "You don't feel hot." she says.

"That's because I wasn't bitten." I say.

"She not bitten, I promise." Luke says.

"Ok." She says uncertainly.

She continues to look over me. Then she focuses on my gun shots and my broken arm "How'd this happen?" She asks.

"I was shot and a man broke my arm." I say.

She lifts up my shirt slightly revealing the second gunshot on my side. "The bullet is still in, I gotta get it out." She says.

"Is that gonna hurt?" I ask.

She lets out a sigh. "Hun, I'm not gonna lie to you it's gonna hurt like hell. But we aren't gonna worry about it now. You need to get checked into your room first. Ok Luke, come on up." She says.

I sit back down in my seat and worry about my gunshot. She asks Luke the same questions as me, but his procedure was a lot faster cause he doesn't have as many wounds as I. She looks at the gunshot in his leg.

"Luckily for you the bullet went clean through your leg. Your all done, here's your room keys." she says handing Luke the keys.

We are just about to walk out of the door when Cassandra stops us. "Clementine, meet me back here tomorrow morning. It's the only time I have available until next week to get the bullet out."

"Why can't we wait until next week?" I ask.

"Cause it could get infected." She says.

"Ok." I say following Luke out of the room.