Arc 1: Chapter 16

I wake up the next morning, Luke isnt there. I go to the kitchen and eat the can of beans. I miss him already. I slump on the couch and let the hours roll by.

I hear the trucks that the hunters return in. I run down to the trucks and wait for Luke to come out. As the truck empties out there's still no sign of Luke. I begin to panic and get scared. I run up to one of the hunters.

"Where's Luke?" I ask.

"Who." the man asks.

Shit.

I wait and watch the trucks drive away. Luke hasn't returned. My nightmare is coming true. Did they just leave him in the woods to die? But they would of told tell me that he didn't make it. Maybe they didn't know we were together. I think of all the possible things that could of happened to him. I feel tears form in my eyes. I'm alone again. I feel empty with out him here, knowing that he isn't going to return makes my heart sink. I need to find him. He can't just be dead!

I walk out of the entrance of Wellington and follow the tire tracks that lead into the woods.

~~~~~~~~
About and hours passes by, Im still following the trail. It's become dark outside. My legs are starting to feel sore and I'm getting sleepy. This is such a stupid idea, why would I come all the way out here? I know it's to try and find Luke but my chances of finding him are slim to none. I look ahead of me, I see a faint light. It looks like a fire. I left my gun in Wellington, I'm defenseless. I slowly approach the camp, I can hear men talking. I quickly hide myself behind a tree

"Ha, I've done that when I was younger too." I hear a man say.

"I use to do stupid shit all the time when I was a kid." Another man said.

I look at all of the men and I see Luke. I uncontrollably gasp.

"Did you hear that?" A man says.

"Yeah." another one says.

"Who's out there?" Luke says standing up holding his machete in his hand.

"It me." I say revealing myself.

"Clementine?!" Luke says shocked.

"Why is there a kid here?" The man says.

"What the hell are you doin here?" He asks.

"I thought you got left out here so I wanted to come find you." I say.

"I'm just taking the overnight shift." He says.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I ask in aggravation.

"I'm sorry Clem, it just happened. They asked me if I wanted to take the night shift so that I could take the next few days off." He explains.

"Ok. Well I guess I'll go back to Wellington." I say as I turn around and begin to head back.

"Now hold up." Luke says as he stops me.

"No way your walking all the way back there by your self." He says grabbing my shoulder.

"Your gonna have to stay here with us tonight kid." a man says.

"Don't worry, I have my own tent." Luke says.

"What's that suppose to mean?" A the man says sounding somewhat offended.

"John, I don't think a twelve year old girl wants to sleep in the same tent as a strange man." Luke says.

"I ain't strange." John said.

He somewhat reminds me of Nick.

"Cmon Clem." Luke says forwarding me to his tent.

I crawl into his tent expecting him to follow after me but he doesn't.

"Luke? You coming?" I ask.

"No, I got first shift." he says standing around the tents with a gun in his hands.

"Oh ok." I say crawling back into the tent.

I lay there unable to sleep. The ground is too hard. Eventually I ended up falling asleep, I don't remember when.

The next morning came by slowly. I had a bad nights sleep that night.

Once I woke up I looked and saw I was alone in the tent. I crawled out of the tent and saw Luke sitting on the ground.

"Luke, have you been out there all night?" I asked.

"Yeah, no one ever came out to finish the rest of the night." He said roughly.

"Come in here and get some sleep." I tell him.

"Nah I'm fine, my shift is over anyways." He says.

"Let's go back then." I say.

"We can't, we gotta wait for the truck to arrive. It should be here in about an hour." He says.

An hour passes and I hear the roar of a large truck approaching the camp.

All the men pile into the car, Luke and I are the last ones to enter the truck when I'm stopped by the driver.

"What the fuck? What are you doing here?" The driver asks.

"I walked down here and found my friend so I stayed with him last night." I tell him.

"Little kids aren't suppose to be on dangerous trips like this." the driver says.

"I'm not a little kid." I say glaring into his eyes with my arms crossed.

"Oh really, how old are you?" He says in a baby voice mocking me.

"I'm fourteen." I lie.

"Oh, and a I suppose a fourteen year old girl is capable of killing off a giant herd of walker with only a knife like these brave men have?" He says.

"Uh, we've never done that... like it's impossible." John chimes in.

"Just take a seat." the driver say angrily.

I find an open seat next to Luke and plop down on it.

We arrive back to Wellington but what we see makes everyone stop in their tracks. I look up at Luke and see him gazing at the sight, his eyes are filled with fear and worry.

"Oh my god..." I mutter to myself.