Arc 4: Chapter 2

"Clem, Clem come on. We gotta get goin'." Luke shakes my shoulder waking me up.

"Why are we leaving so early?" I ask sleepily.

"I'd like to start looking at the crack of dawn so we got all day to look for him. He didn't come back last night. "

I rub my eyes and get up. Luke hands me a medium sized pocket knife with a long sharp blade.

"Here, Im trusting you with this." He says.

"Really? You don't seem like you trust me?" I say slightly taken back.

"I do trust you, but honestly I don't know a thing about you." he says.

We've known each other forever... oh wait, it was just a dream. I've only really known him for a few days... feels like years.

"You can trust me." I smile.

"Good." he smiles back.

"Well, let's get to know each other then." I suggest.

"Not now Clem, we need to focus on finding Nick." he says brushing me off.

It was surprisingly quiet outside. I hear birds singing from the trees. It was nice, there weren't that many moments like this anymore.

"It's nice out here." I say.

"Yeah..." he says. I can tell he isn't paying attention, he's too worried about Nick.

I roll my eyes and let out an annoyed sigh.

"What's wrong?" He asks.

"You don't seem to care about what I have to say." I tell him sounding aggregated, which I was a little.

"Sorry Clem, I just got a lot on my mind right now. We can talk all you want once we find Nick." He says.

"Okay." I wine.

We take another path into deeper woods. I hear the sounds of walkers in the distance, lots of them, and it sounds like it's coming this way.

"Luke? You hear that too?" I ask fearfully.

"Yeah." he pulls out his machete and tightens his grip around it.

I take out the knife Luke gave me and flipped the blade up.

"Keep walking and stay on your guard." He slowly leads us deeper and deeper into the woods.

"There they are." I say seeing a large herd of them huddled together eating something or someone.

"Okay, we gotta walk really quietly past them or they'll be on top of us." he whispers.

We tiptoe past the walker when I snap a twig beneath my feet.

"Shit." I whisper.

The walkers instantly charge after us. One grabbing ahold of Luke's arm.

"Clem! H--help me!" He cries.

I take the pocket knife and shove it into the walkers head.

I'm too busy watching the other walkers that trudge towards me when Luke suddenly takes off running.

"Luke!" I shout angrily.

I run after him catching up quickly.

"What the hell!" I yell.

"Sorry Clem, I--I thought you were behind me." he says.

"Come on we gotta get out of here!" I say running further into the woods.

There's more walkers ahead of us. Were surrounded.

"Luuuke!?" I look up at him staring to panic.

"Up the tree!" He jumps onto the high branch, too high for me to reach.

"Hurry grab my hand!" He sends his hand down to me.

I quickly grab it and he pulls me up onto the branch next to him. We both pant as watch the walkers try to reach us from below.

"Your light..." Luke says collecting large breaths of air.

"Is that a good thing?" I ask.

"Yeah." he smiles.

I make myself comfortable by resting my back against the base of the tree. It's a pretty big branch, big enough to hold both of us.

"Well, now that we're stuck up here... lets get to know each other." Luke suggests.

I smile.

"Okay, be honest when you answer my questions... Do you trust me?" I ask looking him straight in the eye.

"Well, I didn't... but I believe you've earned my trust after today." he says.

"I could say the same about you." I say sarcastically with a little sass along with it.

"Okay, I apologize for leaving you. I thought you were right behind me though." he says.

"Yeah yeah." I laugh.

"Hey, what's that suppose to mean." he chuckles.

I roll my eyes and smirk.

"So how long have you known Nick?" I ask.

"A good twenty years or more." he says.

"How'd you meet?" I ask.

"We went to school together. I remember seeing Nick walk in my class on the first day of school... he was the new kid and none of the other kids would talk to him." he pauses.

"Aw, that's sad." I say.

"So after a few days I sat next to him at the lunch table, and after that we became friends and have been ever since." he says.

"So you've really known each other for twenty years??" I ask astonished.

"Yeah just about."

Luke looks below us, down at the walkers who still haven't moved from their spot.

"This one time Nick and I went to go see a movie together and Nick got the bright idea to start throwing popcorn at the people in front of us. So being the stupid teenager I was, I joined in and we started throwing popcorn at this older couple, and they started getting really pissed at us which made it more funny and made us want to do it more. Suddenly the old guy dumps his tray onto Nicks lap, which made me laugh harder and louder. Of corse Nick got pissed at them so he kept throwing popcorn at them, all of the sudden the guy stands up. He's like 6 feet tall... me and Nick just about shit our pants. We bolted out of that theater as fast as we could. Nick suggested hiding in the bathroom,which was a terrible mistake. The man comes into the bathroom and sees us, but before he can say a word Nick and I sprint out of the building laughing our asses off." Luke laughs.

*True story

"That was really stupid." I say.

"Yeah it was..." his smile fades.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"I can't stop thinking about if he's okay... What if we never find him?" Luke asks me like a scared child.

"We will." I put my hand on his shoulder for reassurance.

"Thanks Clem."