Chapter 27

Harry's POV

"Miss Edwards, what color would you like your cast?"

As soon as the question comes out of the doctor's mouth, a tight squeeze comes from Rachel's hand to mine, our way of communication, and I can tell she is not happy. I snap my head to hear direction and her eyes are open wide, brows furrowed.

Why would she be upset? It's a simple cast and I'm incredibly relieved. Everything that the doctor has said had my nerves going crazy because we don't know what's wrong with her, but I will continue to blame myself for it. I'm the one who tripped her, what else could have caused this? I'm so pleased to know it's just a cast.

Why isn't she?

I don't get it. I want to, I really do. She's definitely scared of this situation, from the way she fought it with anger when I tried to take her here, the tears she only thought she hid from me, her fear to speak, it's clear. But I don't know why, or what she's exactly scared of. I have no clue why she's acting so unlike herself.

Now I understand what she meant earlier, we don't know enough about each other. One thing I do know, is she doesn't want to tell me a lot of stuff.

My baby girl is quite a mystery.

After a while of silence, waiting for her answer, her small voice finally fills the tiny room. "Sorry sir, but I'm not interested in a cast."

I look at her, wondering where she's coming from with this. Why does she seem to be refusing help?

The doctor turns around, in his eyes I can see he's wondering the same thing as I am. "What do you mean? You need one, dear."

She's quick to reply this time, "Well surely there's something else we can do."

"I'm afraid there isn't, Miss Edwards. With your condition, I'm surprised it's only a cast. I'd expect surgery with a case like yours, but you're one of the lucky ones," he clarifies, as he picks the clipboard up and holds it to his chest.

Rachel surprises me by speaking again in protest. "There's got to be another way--"

"Just listen to the doctor, love," I interject, not wanting her to start a scene.

She pauses, turning to me with annoyance and I only hope she calms down. I meet her blue orbs with sympathy.

"Erm," the doctor speaks up, "I will let the both of you discuss the matter while I file the paperwork. I'll return for the OK, alright?"

The man excuses himself from the room, shutting the door behind him, and I finally get a chance to question my stubborn girl.

I walk to stand in front of her, noticing her eyes are just staring at the wall, a blank expression pasted to her gorgeous face. I wish to know what thoughts are buzzing through that mind of hers.

My hands take hers gently. "Rachel, it's just a cast you know--"

"Exactly Harry. It's a cast. I don't want it," Rachel shakes her head, gaze leaving the wall behind me and seem to be on my shoes.

I take one of my hands to slowly bring up her chin to look me in the eyes.

"There's no need to be scared of it. It'll hurt less and you'll be fine soon enough." Her sadness is coming out more in waves and I just wish she'd talk to me more and tell me why.