Chapter 1

The damn alarm clock on my nightstand goes off. Tiredly, I slam the snooze button, and bring myself to sit up. Today is the day, the day I've been dreading. All I want to do is curl up into a ball and cry. There's no possible way I can get through today...

Two years ago, I was at the early college orientation and registration at UCLA in California.

I had just moved there from my small hometown in Texas, and was thrilled to be going to college here. I was still amazed I actually received a letter back from the college accepting me. Never in a million years did I think any college would accept me, but that's what every nervous high school senior thinks, right?

Of course, my parents hated that I was moving out of state, but I just needed a change from my old home. A change to a place with more opportunities, and that's what I had found. I promised both of them that I would make the best of it, and they knew I would because I always was serious about my work, and I worked my butt off to get here.

My mother and father worked hard for me to get the best education, and we weren't the richest family so it was a little hard. I had gotten valedictorian, been in the honor society throughout the years, and none of that could've been reached without their help.

Now in college I had plans and priorities to accomplish, and I could not wait to get my life started. I was independent, grown up, and ready to be productive with what I'd been given. My interest was in English and literature, and I was excited to pursue it. Writing and reading were my passion, and one day I hoped that I could become some sort of author, or possibly even a publisher! Just the thought made me utterly excited, giddy even. I'd read all day if I could.

Unlike the usual college student, I had no interest in the party scene, or sororities. My mindset was on my academics, and has always been. I wanted to stay focused and do my best.

After I got settled at the dorm room, I decided to walk around campus and check everything out so I could get used to my surroundings and map out how far my classes would be from each other and what a usual day would be like. Staying organized was my plan to survive.

When I stepped onto the campus, the first thing I noticed was the many people there talking, and it kind of intimidated me, because I was such a quiet person. I didn't have many friends back home and didn't have much time for them anyway, so I knew this would be one of the little challenges thrown my way. Otherwise the campus was big and beautiful, and it made me even more excited to go here. The nice walkways and trees that lined them made me feel more comfortable as I explored, and the nearby coffee shop and multiple eateries were all the better. I had found my go to study places.

As I continued to walk around, I met him: Jacob. When he and I made eye contact, his dark, brown eyes looking deeply into my own, it was practically love at first sight. At least for me anyway.

He had approached me first since I was shy, and was so friendly, and looked like my perfect type. I remember really wanting to talk to him, but I would walk away out of fear, yet he would mysteriously show up everywhere I went. As we talked for the first time, I felt more comfortable by the second. He and I had a lot in common, and it seemed strange at how much we were alike. Our majors, hobbies, and how serious we were about school. He was so handsome too, dressed in nice clothes, and his dirty blonde hair was fixed so perfectly all the time, slicked back with the right amount of gel. I could tell under his clothes he was also pretty fit, which was just a perk I suppose.

We started hanging out more as the semester began. He and I would walk to class together, take breaks and be each other's study buddy at the cafe, and he so politely always carried my books. It was so adorable.