Chapter 66

Harry's POV

"Can I get you something else?" I ask nicely, gently rubbing my hand on her back.

Rachel keeps her attention to her laptop, shaking a little at the contact of my hand on her back. "No, I'm fine, thanks."

I move to place a kiss on her head as I pick up the plate beside her on the mattress, trying to take a glance at the screen before she stops me, "Please, don't kiss me here.. I hit my head on something, I think there's a bruise."

I back away with a nod she still doesn't see, because she won't look me in the eyes, and head to the kitchen to clean up from our dinner.

I just want to know what happened.

There's got to be more than just her parents "pissing her off" that made Rachel want to come back home after not even a day of being home in Texas. I know that because of how she has been acting with me since I picked her back up from the airport just two days ago, and it isn't even remotely normal.

She has been quiet, quiet like when we were separated, before we made up. She won't tell me anything that happened, which highly concerns me. I watch as she acts almost zombie like; Rachel does not let me get too close, she covers herself up from me completely, and all she allows is me to kiss her lips, but for seconds. She wouldn't let me comfort her after the trip when I tried, and she keeps pushing me away or hiding in the bathroom for twenty to thirty minutes, which makes me try hard to refrain from standing so needy outside the door.

What if her parents did this to her? Did they maybe change her mind about me?

The fact that my mind is in some self hating loop is really annoying, especially since the one person I want to talk about that with won't really even talk to me.

And honestly, who knows what is even going on in her mind right now, because it seems like it's even worse than what I'm going through.

Rachel did go to school today, which surprised me, but still just gave me a vague "It was fine." when I asked her how her day was, and she's been on her computer apparently doing homework but I was able to see on her tabs bar something about bruises or scrapes just now and I can't help my mind racing on what the hell is going on.

After I finish washing up, I decide to check back up on her, but when I return I find her locked in the bathroom, her laptop shut on the bed, and everything silent.

"Rachel?" I call through the door.

She is quiet, and I hear her breathing before she responds, "Y-yes?"

"Will you open?"

"Why?"

I place my hands on my hip, staring at the white door, "Because you're worrying me. And as your boyfriend, I think I have a right to know if you are alright."

"You're right," Rachel sighs. "Just um, give me a second."

A few moments pass until she unlocks the door, looking up at me with watery eyes, and when I walk in, she leans back on the counter. We stand just looking at each other, and I honestly cannot read her expression to even have an idea of what the hell is going on.

"Just.." I decide to speak first, "just let me ask you one thing."

Her sad eyes meet mine and she nods.

"Are you wanting to break up with me? Is that what this is about?"

Rachel's eyebrows suddenly raise in defense, "No, no! Not at all, oh my gosh, no—"

"Then what is it? What happened on that trip? What are you going through?"

She tugs her sleeves down in angst and looks immediately to the floor. "I don't know if I can say.."