Chapter 45

Harry's POV

You can probably imagine how hard it is to plan a birthday for someone who doesn't quite care for the occasion. But it is much harder doing that for someone you love wholeheartedly, and it is the first birthday you've ever spent with them, and you are dying to let them know that their birthday signifies more than just the day they came into this world. You want to show them that it isn't a day that just holds a simple title, because it is an amazing day; because without that day, without them, you wouldn't be as happy as you are now.

I can only hope she likes what I have planned. I tried to be secretive, and I didn't speak with her much yesterday in the morning because I needed to plan, and I know that had her frustrated, the adorable, controlling part inside of her needing to know everything that is going on, that part of her hating being left out. That part of her drives me insane, but it's more to love. I know how much it bothered her that I had to ignore her calls.

I phoned her cousins, and both had time to meet with me, tricking Rachel to leave the house. They sent her out shopping, getting her to buy them groceries they already had, which made me feel bad, but it was a way to get her out nonetheless. I met the two at their flat to see if they could help me decide what to do for her. I needed a feminine opinion, especially from these girls who knew her well. Though they definitely don't know her as well as me, but it's good to get other's perspectives. I wanted this planned perfectly, to hopefully change Rachel's thoughts on birthdays.

I think her cousins have gotten more used to me, though they were quite bubbly when I arrived at the door.

"Well, do you have any presents for her?" Hayley asked me expectantly.

I nodded, "Of course. I really just need your help to decide what to do with her, for our date." I feel like she would love to go out; she loves getting ready and dressing up. But she loves it as much as she does staying in, picking her hair up, putting on a shirt of mine, and having a face clear of makeup, which she clearly doesn't need. It's her birthday though, she should get something extravagant, right?

Jennifer steps in, "We are happy to help you, tell us what you're thinking."

"I could take her out.." I begin, but I notice the uncertainty on their faces. "What? She loved it last time."

"Yeah, she did, but you didn't hear the entire news story they said on the news about you two days afterwards, and you definitely did not see her face when she saw herself on the news. I know she told you, but like the girl she is, she keeps a lot to herself. Taking her out is okay, but not somewhere so high end or on the map this time," Jennifer told me, and I frowned. I knew there was a story on the news about us, she did call me about it, but why would she hide her true feelings about it from me? This is something we'd need to talk about, to discuss she should never listen to those things.

"I should have known about her reaction," I mumbled, shaking my head. "So, stay in then?"

"I don't see fit just staying in and having pizza with sweats on.. I mean she would like that probably, but save that for a different occasion, like a relaxed date. She's not much of a fancy girl." Hayley shrugged, then she got tense. "Wait, you are definitely having her stay the night though, right? Maybe it'll be the night--"

"That's their business," Jennifer interrupted and I was damn glad she had. I pinched the bridge of my nose and sighed, thinking that coming here maybe wasn't the best idea. We stayed silent for a while, and before I decided to just get up and go, Jennifer blurted,"Ooh! Did you hear about the fair?"

"The one in town?"

"Yeah! That would be so cute!" She squealed, followed by Hayley and the both rambled on about how adorable she and I would be there.