Chapter 63

A/N: this chapter gonna be long and dramatic so you were warned... the ending, it's so cool and intense. there's a lot of visuals, i see they complete the scene perfectly.

Rachel's POV

"C'mon, you really won't tell me what you wrote about? Not even just a little bit?" Matthew continued to pester as we cleaned up before closing the cafe. "I told you what I did!"

"Yeah, without me asking you, trying to respect your privacy," I giggled, wiping down one of the last tables.

Yesterday in Creative Writing we had our big in class essay assignment that Mr. Porter told us about on Monday and that we had all week to prepare for. Matthew and I also worked at the cafe every night this week, half me trying to catch up on hours, and the other half spent as we prepared after the cafe closed, making our outlines and discussing our strategy for writing it in the time allotted. He full on shared his with me, while I kept my topic on the down low. 

"Raaaaach," he whined, planting his palms on the table I was wiping and stared me dead in the eyes. "All week you've left me guessing, now it's Friday, the essay is done with, so can't you just give me something? Tell me anything?"

My lips started to curl into a smile.

"I'll tell you to get your hands off this table so I can clean the handprints you so kindly left me," I sassed, getting him to stand up straight and remove his hands. "Besides, why would I tell my boss what I wrote on a school assignment? That's just weird."

Matthew gave me an eye roll, "The cafe is closed, now we're friends again, so spill!"

I wrote about dealing with abuse and overcoming it.

A small sentence, but with a major effect if I say it.

"You are an insanely talented writer, don't tell me that's why you won't tell me, it's that you think you're rank?" He leans back on the table behind him as I put up the last chair.

"No, it's just-" A knock on the door saved me from spilling, and when I looked through the glass, I spotted my ride, Jen and Hayley.

I waved them in as Matthew and I headed behind the counter to put up our cleaning rags and aprons.

"Hey guys," I greeted them as they walked toward us.

Hayley greeted back and Jennifer kept a steady gaze on Matthew. When Matty turned to her, I saw his cheeks flush as well and I tried to hold back a chuckle. The two started talking when Hayley leaned over the counter near me as I untied my apron.

"Five pounds says they awkwardly flirt ending in embarrassment for both of them," she whispered.

"You're on," I accepted, looking back at the two.

"Y'know, I've yet to meet a guy who smells so vanilla-y," I heard Jen tease.

"It's not always vanilla, you don't catch me on my chocolatey days. Plus, we haven't properly met now have we?" Matthew responded, coming back around from behind the counter to Jen.

Jennifer looked calm, her flirting skills definitely better than mine, and seemingly better than Matty's. "I come here a lot, you just refuse to talk to me," she playfully accused.

"Now that's untrue!" Matthew defended himself. "We had a lovely conversation last week, we talked for ages when you told me Rach was going out of town with her boyfriend."

"Right...right," Jen crossed her arms, nodding. "You do know that it was my twin Hayley on the telephone that night?" she flat out lied.

Matthew's eyes widened, millions of thoughts probably whirling through his mind as he glanced behind Jen to Hayley and I, Hayley giving him a teasing wave as I turned to hide my laughter.