Chapter 59

Rachel's POV

"Guys? I really don't know about this dress, it's short, and I might be cold," I whine, tugging the dress down a tad. It's one of Hayley's and her tight figure hasn't always done well on me. This dress is looser than the ones in the past, but the height of the dress is still shorter than I'd prefer.

My cousins come back to my room, one holding a coat, the other some black heels.

Jennifer rolls her eyes, handing the black coat over and assisting me in putting it on. I thank her and slide my heels on too, feeling a whole foot taller, wobbling around as I go to my bathroom to search for my contacts, something I wear in secret.

"No.. no," I begin to panic.

"What? Did your makeup smudge? Did I miss a hair to curl?" Hayley barges in, eyes wide as she looks around my head.

I shake my head, "No! I'm out of contacts!" Jennifer leans in the doorway to see what is wrong as I start to breakdown. I turn to them, "What am I going to do? Walk around blind?! I'll look like an idiot! Sophia will hate me and everyone will because I'll make everyone look bad..."

"Rachel!" Hayley smacks my shoulder to shut me up, "You have glasses don't you?"

"Yeah, b-but the paparazzi will take pictures of me in my ugly glasses, and I'll be on the stupid gossip show, and Harry will think I look stupid and so will all of his friends and Sophia, and Kendall will see and come back and Harry will leave–"

"Oh my God!" Jennifer silences me. "Rachel get a hold of yourself! Don't you think that you're just nervous, and really over exaggerating? And you've never shown Harry your glasses?"

"He doesn't know I have bad vision at all."

"Your glasses are just fine, love. They're clear frames, they suit you. Worry isn't good for your health," Hayley goes on again being the annoying medical student she is.

"And who gives a damn about the paparazzi? Or anyone? Look, Sophia is a sweetheart, as fans we know this. I doubt she would judge you, but if she did, who gives a shit?!" Jennifer makes a point, opening the top left drawer in my bathroom and getting out my glasses.

She hands them out to me and I cringe at them, taking them in my hand and putting them on, everything instantly becoming clearer. I would always either go without contacts, or use contacts. My mother was somewhat upset back when I was an early teenager and discovered my eyesight was growing poorer, so I grew to be embarrassed about it. That's why I don't wear the obvious glasses or tell people about it. My cousins knew because of seeing me with glasses on when we were younger, but I rather people not know. I afford contacts on my own now, which can be hard to remember to buy. At least my parents still assist in paying some for my schooling, how fun it would be to forget to pay for that.

I begin to think of my parents now, realizing I haven't spoken to them aside from a few texts here and there after the calling Jacob incident on my birthday nearly four weeks ago. At least they still care enough to help me out with finances and such, even though I abandoned America and the dream boy they wanted me with, basically crushing that aspect of the future they wanted me to have.

I'm still having that future, just the way better British version, where nothing goes wrong and I actually feel safe and happy.

"Rachel?" My attention is called and I realize I've just been gazing in the mirror, fully in my thoughts.

"Sorry, I spaced out."

"Well, tell me you don't look just amazing. You look great! The glasses are rather a statement to the outfit if I should say." Jennifer says, and I turn around to find just her in the bathroom with me. She smiles at me and opens her arms for a hug which I accept.