Chapter 4-Manhattan

Evelyn's POV

Though I had reached New york city, I had no clue as to  where I should go.I wandered here and there in  search of cheap but decent motels.Yet,all I could find was high class hotels. I could easily afford them  but I didn't want to leave any clue of me hiding at New york because hotels were the place where influential people existed who must be known to my billionaire father in some way. Even if, they wouldn't know me being the Richardson's only daughter,they can somehow posses me threat. I couldn't take any form of risk. A slight mistake and  Dave could easily find out about my  whereabouts.I had to remain as low as possible.

I kept wandering and stopped at pavement hoping to find a bus or a taxi. There was too much of traffic that's why I could not find a cab right away.
So, I stood still on the pavement waiting for a means of public transport and eyeing every passerby. Everybody seem like they were the  busiest person in the whole world.The traffic was getting bulkier so I decided to walk through the lane hoping to find a taxi over there.

I came across a small cafe situated at the end of the lane. It was getting dark and cold so I decided to grab something hot from there. Even though the cafe  was small,it was beautiful and quite well managed. The walls were painted in vibrant colours. There were small but cute tables and booths.

"Welcome to Lana's. What can I get for you, Miss?" A cute, petite girl  cooed.
She was also in her early twenties may be. "Um mm, burger and chips please." I smiled at her.
"Sure,anything else to drink Mam?"
"Er just a regular cup of coffee will do." I ordered.

After the girl left, I started looking outside though the large window.Evelyn,come back you stupid girl.
Those harsh words were still fresh in the back of my mind. But it was nothing compared to the torture Dave used to give me.

He was harsh, he was brutal. He never cared about people's feelings. He never did care about me. He only knew torture.
"Ugh! Eve you need to stop thinking about him. He is no longer a part of your life. You have to leave him and his memories in London. You are here now for Christ's sake. Just try to move on." I consoled myself.

"Lock her in the room and nobody dare feed her anything else than water. That brat need to learn to obey me."
"I'm sorry, Dave " I begged." Don't do this to me."
"Shut up,you stupid girl. Jules, lock her fast. I don't want dramas in my house."

"Miss, here you go." The petite girl said a bit louder.May be she was here a minute ago. "Oh, I'm sorry I didn't see you coming. I was er...zoned out." I said.
"You good?" She asked in  concerned tone."You seem like you were thinking something very unpleasing."

"Ha-ha" I faked a laugh trying to prove that I was okay. "Yeah I'm okay. Its just that I am short of money and I desperately need a job and place to stay." I lied. Okay may be I half lied. I definitely needed a place to stay.

"A job? What kind of job do you want?" She questioned me with a raised eyebrow. I knew she was not believing me that was I  short of money  because she was eyeing my outfit,my handbag and those heavy luggage.

I had worn a branded ivory coat and my boots were made from high class leather. I was carrying a Gucci handbag and my dress screamed money. So she could easily catch my lie.

"Err-rm,something like waitress,housekeeping or anything will do." I said.

"Wha-at? You look posh  and that British accent? Are you kidding me?" She said with a much louder voice. An elderly couple on next table eyed us.She nodded at them with an apologetic look and turned back to me.

"Er, yeah we I mean my family used to be rich but due to some conflict, my parents company went bankrupt and we had no penny left on our own. So I had to move here to New york." I lied." If you can find me some job,that'll be a great help to me."

She nodded with some what confused look. And I was grateful that she didn't further question me about my background or else I had to come up with a quick lie.

"May be I can help you.Wait a minute and yeah,do enjoy your food." She smiled and dashed towards the kitchens door.

I started digging into the food. Gawd, it tasted so amazing. May be it was my hunger that made it double times tasty.Needless to say, the coffee tasted amazing too. 

"Hey there,sweet buns." said a woman in her late thirties.She had droopy eyes and little patch of dark circles underneath them. But she looked cheerful. She continued, "Sharon told me a rich looking British  girl needed some job.So I thought you were the one.Am I right?" she said with a smile. These strangers were helping me?

"Yes,that's me. I need a low profile job though." I said.

"Why so?" She came up with another question. "Er, I guess that girl- Sharon told you about my family background, I don't want any complications regarding the bankrupted company and people questioning about it.I just need a place to hide that's it." I lied.

"A low profile job, a place to hide hmm-mm." She hummed. "Why don't you work as a maid then?" She blurted.
____________________

Do comment and vote.
Loads of love.