Chapter 24-I fell for a devil

People will eventually show their true colours. That's how people are and that is how the world works. Cruel.
I remembered what Hannah once said to me. People,indeed were a savage creation.
Beside,Adam was an absolute womaniser. He was probably trying to make me fall for his charms. Even though he was there whenever I felt low,even though he helped me to calm myself,even though he said that he would stay by my side, I shouldn't have believed everything he said. Challenge... it must be because of the challenge he was acting this sweet and caring to me. Yeah,it must be because of the challenge,the challenge to make me fall for him. I did. He succeeded.
I broke.

"STOP"...
"STOP THE CAB".
My thoughts got interrupted.
"Ervin, what's the mat--"

"STOP IT," he repeated again.
The cab halted near some gigantic lavish hotel. I turned towards Ervin, his eyes were fixated in something outside.I followed his gaze to see a woman, dressed up in black, getting out of a sleek,posh car. "No way..."I mumbled. "She couldn't be..."
"Eve, I'm gonna have to get off here. I'm sorry it's urgent. The cab will take you to Sharons'. Take care."He jabbered. Throwing some cash at the driver he sprinted towards the hotel.
I just couldn't process what on earth just happened. That woman,she looked so familiar. Though half of her face seem to be covered. I could still recognise it...And Ervin?
Why did he go there? I was sure his eyes were fixated on her. Did he know her?
Should I follow him?
No, that's wrong.
He was my saviour. How could I do that?
I'm gonna have to find out some other way.

"EVE, WHAT HAPPENED?" Shar gaped, eyeing me from head to toe. I was still wet from the rain, my hair was frizzy, eyes bloody red and swollen from the tears earlier. The clouds were roaring again.
"I look like a mouse, don't I ?" I let out a fake laugh.
"You're fuckin' shivering." She said in a more serious tone.
"Let me in." I said rubbing both of my palms together.
She did.
"Will you explain?" She said after
handing me a towel.
"I ran away."
"Whaaaaa...? You did what?" Her eyes widened.
"I ran away Shar." I plopped down on the floor. I recalled everything that happened this morning. Tears were welling up in my eyes.
"Eve," she hugged me. I cried my heart out. Those tears were mixed with sadness,anger, disappointment,fear, confusion,hatred.But mostly contained the memories of Adam. She just stood there beside me,patting my back,trying to console her bestfriend who was such a mess.
"Shar, I have so many things to tell you," I released her embrace.
"I'm here sweety." She looked upset and perplexed.

"Shar, I never told you the full story about that guy in the picture." I let out a breath.
"The one which created rift between you guys?"
"Yes, Nathan..." I closed my eyes, the accident was still vividly dancing in my memory. I continued.
"He was my boyfriend. There were many circumstances that restricted me to fall for him.Yet, I did anyway. But the end came sooner than I thought. I lost him Shar." Tears were dripping out of the corners of my eyes.
"The worst thing is that I killed him. I was the reason behind his death. We-We... both met a car...accident. I made it, he didn't. If only he wasn't with me, he would have been alive. Loving me killed him Shar. His family blamed me, I was lost, completely lost." I let out a sob."- But then,I met Adam He made me experience those butterflies again. However,I had to avoid that since the guilt of his death is too deep...I-I have fallen for him. No matter how hard I tried not to, I did.
But it's far more than complicated, I can't love him. The memories of Nathan haunts me everyday. The guilt eats me. I hate it the most. I can't be with Adam even if I want to. Danger surrounds me. While I was trying to decipher whether it was guilt or love that I felt towards Nathan, Adam turned into a monster. I couldn't tell him the truth and he wasn't ready to listen to me. I couldn't even tell you. I was scared Shar, I thought you will judge me, blame me and hate me after I told you about that guy...Shar I'm a worst person, my life is such a mess."

Sharon was completely baffled. I still couldn't collect the confidence to tell her about my past and Dave. She might run away. Silence covered the surrounding.
She spoke after a few minutes. Fingers crossed.
"It's not your fault Eve. Bad days comes in everybody's lives. Think it as a bad memory and forget it. Forget him and try to move on. I'm sure Nathan wants the same. I believe its the guilt that you're feeling towards that guy. Though I'm completely speechless now, I'm glad you were honest with me. It's horrible that you had to face such tragic incident... You're a strong girl, Eve. Rather than judging you, I'm inspired seeing how well you've composed yourself. You're an amazing person and I'm blessed to have you as my best friend." She pulled me into a tight hug.
"Shar, I love you." A heaviness in my heart somewhat got reduced. I'm glad I opened up to some extent. Talking about Dave was too dangerous.
"You haven't told me about Adam yet."She poked. And then, I stated...

"That moron. I'm gonna rip his head and castrate his balls. How could he do that to you?" Sharon gritted her teeth.
I know, he could've waited for me explain instead of turning into monster. "There were reasons I couldn't tell the truth to him. But...
I fell for a devil." I face palmed.
"I'm gonna kill him for sure. He hurt my best friend. I'm gonna show him how a murder is done." Sharon picked a cushion and punched it.
"I didn't realise his true intentions. It's the best to avoid him. I will quit my job at his place." I exhaled a sharp breath.

"Do that. You can stay here and work at my cafe."
"But, Shar that's too..."
"No buts okay? Now go take a shower. You need to stay warm or else you'll catch a cold." She said in a stern voice.

The warm shower helped me to be calm to some extent. I blow dried my hair, changed into Sharon's pjs which were short but still comfy.I considered myself lucky to have a best friend like her. It was too much to stay at her place and work at her cafe as well. I tried denying the offer yet, she didn't budge at all.I realised I had to thank Ervin properly, ask Sharon to bring my belongings from Adam's place, go to Moore's mansion to file my resignation letter and most importantly, I had to find out about that woman.

_______________
Loads of love ❤