Chapter 56-Not the same

Evelyn's POV

The pain turned much worse as my mind spun in an endless loop of memories with Adam. How bitterly I spat those words at him and left. The weight of my heart had become heavier and heavier as we approached Nathan's battered flat.
I straight up went to his creaky,tottering bed and lied down covering my face with my hands.
The flat didn't have any soft surface apart from this rustic bed. There was only this one room with a grimy looking stove at the far corner,in middle there were a tattered,shabby couch and few chairs. The bathroom must be the door near the stove. In conclusion,this place looked awfully dreadful.

"Are you crying,Lyn? Why are you crying?" Nathan's voice came buzzing in my ear. I sighed loudly before getting up.
"No, I just have a terrible headache." I lied massaging my forehead.Talking with Nathan was the last thing I wanted to do even if I had so many questions about him being here.
The only thought running in my mind was Adam. I couldn't seem to comprehend the fact that I was gone out of his life for good. Just within a matter of second, I ended everything with him brutally. We didn't have a goodbye moment. It was just rushed and ruthless.
My conscience was telling me to forget that man completely and focus on my life with Nathan from now on however I couldn't seem to push him out of my mind at all.

"Why are you being this way? Aren't you happy to be here, Lyn?" Nathan sat beside me. I folded my legs and moved back to give him a space to sit.
"Of course I am." I said avoiding his gaze.
I wanted to be alone however it seemed wickedly rude to push Nathan away. He had come all the way from Denmark in this crippled state just to be with me taking all the risks. I kept reminding myself this to push the thoughts of Adam back in the corner of my mind.
"I love you,Lyn."His eyes welled up with tears again and I quickly panicked and hugged him.
"Nate I'm here...I'm here." I gently rubbed his back. However I couldn't seem to pronounce those love words back at him.
"Don't sulk,baby...we are finally together,"he pulled away from me and brought his lips near mine. I quickly recoiled away from him.
"Oh!" He looked shocked,slightly hurt from my reaction.

"I'm sorry...I-it's just so sudden...I mean I hadn't seen you for three years... "I rambled trying to cover up for my inconvenience earlier. He glowered at me for a long time.
"Can-can we like take it slow?"I meekly looked at him,"Please!" I added. Frowning,he nodded his head at me.
"Nate,are you upse-?"

"It's fine,Lyn,it is. I mean I'm still a bloody dead man to you. I understand...I completely do."Nathan kept mumbling and shaking his head at the same time.

"I didn't mean it that way.It's just that-"

"It's WHAT, Lyn?" He screamed suddenly at my face getting up. My eyes widen in an absolute shock. I couldn't seem to form a word to speak.

"Baby,I'm really sorry,baby."The next thing he did was hug me again before I could comment something. I was caught off-guard. What just happened right now?
"We will take it slow, love. Whatever you say," he planted a kiss on my hair. "You're coming to Denmark with me right?" I hesitantly nodded in his arms and it was the only thing he kept asking until I fell asleep.
"Even if you don't I'll take you anyway. "I heard him whispering in my ear soon after I drifted off.

Thankfully, I could see Nathan fast asleep in the couch next morning. Moving with him was one thing however kissing him felt awfully uncomfortable.
"I'll get used to it."I muttered to myself and headed for the bathroom,grabbing my toiletries after I opened my suitcase. The shower felt icy, skin numbing cold however it felt essential to numb my feelings toward Adam. I had decided to let go of any possible feelings I had for him though I knew I would fail utterly. I mulled over the events with Nathan;there was something eerily different about him excluding his physical appearance. Something had changed in him; something I couldn't decipher and the feeling kept growing as the days went by. The way he looked at me, sometimes glared, how possessive he had turned,how creepily he would talk sometimes. Even if it didn't felt right in so many ways, I decided to overlook it thinking it was just all because of the three year gap.