Chapter 38-Behind the trees

Evelyn's POV

"Mr. Moore, Miss Paisley is here."

My sudden detachment from his embrace made me stumble backwards.

"Sun-" I lifted my hand to stop him from approaching me.

"Sunshine." He called out again.

Ignoring him,I made my way towards the elevator.The fear of Paisley telling him the truth was much less than the hurt  I was feeling currently.
He couldn't even keep a promise...

What am I to him  anyway?

"Sunshine, it's not what you think." He grabbed my shoulder and turned me around facing him again.

"I've to go." I jerked hard to try to break his hold from my shoulders.
Of course I failed.

"It's not what you think...Sunshine..." I was trying to yank away.
"SUNSHINE." His fingers bit into my skin as his hold got stronger."It's really not what ...you think."
I looked up and stared into his eyes, something inside them were pulling my gaze into his.
For a moment,we stared silently into each other eyes.
The intercom beeped for the second time interrupting us again.
"DISMISS HER." He annoyingly shouted,his hold getting stronger than before.

"You're hurting me."

"Sunshine,I do not know what she is doing here."He softly said, loosening his grip.

"I've to go Adam." I mumbled.

"I didn't invite her.Believe me,I didn't." He explained.

I simply nodded and slowly moved backwards.

"She did text me saying that she wanted to meet me.She said she had something important to tell me about you."

I froze.
In a flash,he came near me and pulled me into his warm arms.
"But I never responded. I haven't forgotten the promise." His soothing voice vibrated on my ear while I was silently enjoying his embrace.My brain had so much to think of however my heart was feeling calm. The rhythm of my heartbeat matched his and it felt so good to be held by him.

"I've to go Adam." I slowly pulled away from him."And it's not because of her."

"Really?" His brows furrowed, concern glistening in those hooded green eyes.

I gave him a nod of affirmation.
"I'll drop you off to Sharons' place then." He announced, grabbing his keys from the drawer nearby.
"It's alright. I can go on my own. I've brought Kate's car."
"Let me go with you to the car parking." He suggested, smiling his best smiles.

My toes tingled.Don't get  distracted.
Don't.

"You're the CEO, I don't want all the attention towards me."  The CEO and on the top of that,a fine man would definitely gather loads of stares and glares from the people.
And I didn't want that.

Frowning,he nodded his head and said,"Can I atleast take to you the elevator?"
"Sure." I replied. He took my hand in his and led me towards the lift. The elevator pinged and the door opened as fast as it could.
I wanted to stay here,here with him.
I just couldn't.

I stepped into the lift,his hands still wrapped around mine. I didn't pull away either. After he did let go of my hand-to which I frowned internally-his eyes just kept locking into mine while we stood on the either side of the elevator.
"Sunshine,are we okay?" He asked in a hushed voice.
"Are we?" I mumbled and the door closed.

I myself had no clue if we were alright. The way he treated me, I still clearly remember it and I still feel some kind of twinge from it.
However, his presence alone calms my heart and I forget it all.
I couldn't fathom how and why he affected me so much?