Chapter 5-Maid?

Evelyn's POV

"Mai-aaid?" I stammered. I know it was a perfect job for me. I could get a place to stay and the chances of finding me were low.It might be a completely different experience for someone like me who had majored in business. Nonetheless, working as a maid would put me on the safe side and also I never had a real job because of my monstrous father.It would be a completely new venture for me.

"C'mon, Eve make a decision, fa-ast. Your mom used to work as a maid too,it won't be a problem.You're finally getting an actual job," I muttered under my breath.

"I can help you if you want," the woman spoke again.

Why are they helping me?
They were complete strangers.

 She continued,"By the way, I'm Claire," she said with a huge grin on her face. That woman sure had a charming face."Sharon, that little creature is my niece. She runs this little cafe on her own after her parents death and I come here often, to help her."

I chuckled lightly when she called Sharon a creature. She sure was tiny,petite and unnoticeable."Thank you so much for your help. But where should I work as a maid? At your place?" I questioned.
"No-oo,Do I look like someone who can afford a maid?" She chuckled."I work as a maid myself."
"Maid?" I repeated. "Yes, I work at Moore's.I am their oldest and trustworthy maid. It's been fifteen years living at their mansion. They are kind of my family now, apart from Sharon," she smiled,"they are extremely nice people and in these fifteen years I've never seen them flaunting their wealth. I'm sure they'll help you one way or another."

Who are they?

"Thank you,Claire". I thanked her again.

Is it safe to go?

"Let's get going then,"she exclaimed.
"What?Now?" I nearly choked the fries inside my mouth.
"Yes,right now. Besides, you don't have any place to stay,"she shrugged.
"Okay,"I nodded. It wasn't a bad idea afterall.It was better than roaming around the streets in constant fear that I was being followed by Dave. Sharon was coming towards us. She blurted,"Good luck and do keep coming here um- ?"
"Evelyn, you can call me Eve though." I said tucking my hair piece behind my ear.

"You have a lovely name,Eve," she cooed.

We bid goodbye to Sharon and left the cafe. Claire hailed a cab and we both hopped behind the passengers seat. We both sat there in awkward silence, which I was glad for. I was hoping and praying that she won't ask me about my parents.

She finally broke the silence, "I am sure Mrs.Moore will hire you.As I told you before they are very nice people. Today, I only wanted an hour or two to attend my brother's -well-Sharon's parents death anniversary but she insisted that I should take a day off. She is such a sweetheart and Mr. Moore he is also the same as his wife."
I nodded as she was explaining me about them. I just hope they will hire me without much questioning.

"They don't have any offspring?" I questioned.
"Oh,nice choice of word you got there,"she chuckled,"of course they do. Their eldest son , Master Adam is one of the renowned businessman of Manhattan. He took over his father and is the new owner of Moore Enterprises. He is equally handsome." She squealed like a teenage girl.
I chuckled lightly. Claire was like a girl in woman's body. She continued,"He is a bit of a womanizer though. He uses girls like Kleenex tissues. His parents desperately want him to leave his player ways. They have tried millions of plans to put him down on the track.But it wasn't worth trying. It was rather like carrying water in a sieve,"she chuckled.
"and Miss Agnes, she is the daughter and younger than Master Adam. She lives in France."

We finally reached our destination. It was a twenty minutes ride to Moore's mansion.Claire kept on chattering about them. I was got irritated after a bit but it helped me forget Dave for sometime.

I stepped from the cab, gaping at the large mansion that set beyond the sidewalk, towering over me. It was much more livelier and beautiful than Dave's mansion.The silver coating of the paint glowed as the moonlight fell upon it. The roof was dome shaped in some parts and peaked in some.
As I stepped onto the sidewalk, I noticed a marble fountain sitting towards the left side of the lawn. An cupid like structure holding a flower was situated on top, looking up towards the sky. Water gently flowed from its other hand. The water fell gently towards the pool beneath it,causing ripples to form and disappear. Claire was murmuring behind me. But I couldn't point the exact words she was saying. I was too busy on exploring the scenery of mansion.

We headed towards the entrance of the mansion. Claire stabbed the doorbell. The black door was, moments later, opened by a lady wearing a pastel pink coloured blouse and black pencil skirt,her hair pulled back into a tight but elegant bun. "Ah, hello, Claire, you came back early." She looked little upset."Adam didn't show for dinner again," she frowned,pouting like a kid."That guy never listens to me."Claire smiled back as a response and the lady gaze flickered towards me.She eyed me from head to toe." Who is she,Claire? "She turned back to Claire.
"She is Sharon's friend,from London.Her parents fled leaving her in huge debt. She came here in search of job."She stated my lie.
Friend?  I glared her with a confused look,she just winked back."I heard you this morning about hiring a maid for little master. Since there was no vacancy in Sharon's cafe ,I brought her here."
"Oh, Claire you know me so well. You did the right thing bringing her here." She squealed. Now I knew why Claire praised Mrs Moore. Both were somewhat similar,acting like teenage girl and all.
"Come in uh?" She motioned me to go in."Evelyn,you can call me Eve." I murmured.
"Such a lovely name."She smiled.
"Thank you ma'am."
"Call me Juliana,sweety." She welcomed me.
I stole a glance around the place. The black and white linoleum floor of the entrance glowed. Stairs lay across the room, climbing toward the ceiling. A doorway was on either side of the room, one admitting you into the kitchen, the other into the living room. The walls were a navy blue with gold brush swipes crossing over it, creating a shimmer effect.

Pounding came from upstairs, A man in his forties climbed down the winding staircase."Are you one of my son's fling?"he asked in a stern voice.
____________/___________/__________
Loads of love.