Chapter 49.1-Smile please

Evelyn's POV

We were walking in a dark endless tunnel.
I presume.
Small bulb lights were placed on the wall that was flickering strenuously making it seem much more creepy than it already was.This place was creepier than Dave's basement where I was used to get locked.
I had thought Adam would be bringing me to his father's grave.That wasn't the case.
Where is this?How could his past be here?

I tugged on Adam's arm. This place was creeping me out.
Possibly realising that I was scared,Adam took my hand and intertwine it with his.

I could sense that he was trying to be stern,trying to forget that he ever cried at all.However,his eyes said it all. His eyes were soaked in melancholy.
I wasn't able to comfort him. I wanted to see him smile and was willing to do anything it takes even if it's coming to this frightening place.
As we walked further, I heard some unintelligible noises that were increasing along with our pace.The tunnel ended with a huge wall and we took a U-turn to enter the unbelievable place.I blinked several times seeing what was in front of me. A gape quickly followed assisting my reaction.
I was gobsmacked.
"This is my past." Adam gloomily said.

Deafening shrieks and screams filled the room. Contrary to the tunnel, this place was packed with people. Silence was a dead word here. People were bellowing,shouting on the top of their lungs. Nobody seemed to be in the sane state of their mind.

"What is this place?" I already had an idea but I still cared to ask.

"Underground fighting circuit."

Oh bollocks,my guess was correct.

"Are you alright?" Adam genuinely asked seeing my reaction.

"I am.Are you?" He didn't looked okay at all. My words made his face sunk more.
I squeezed his hand assuring that it'll be okay.
His gaze lingered on the congested arena for a long time. He then,tightened his clasp on my hand and went forward the arena without answering me.

I somehow managed to stay put with all the squeezing,crushing in the assembly of this insanely nuts people.On the other hand,Adam was like a bulldozer pushing everyone aside making his own way.The crowd reeked like the mixture of sweat,booze and cigarettes. My gag reflexes were getting active.Two beefy looking guys whom I guess were bouncers tried stopping us midway. Just a glance from Adam made them move aside.
He must be a really influential person.

After the hectic journey of circulating in the crowd,we-more like-I finally made to what looked like front row. There was a large circular space barred with bulky red ropes where I saw two people punching their soul out of each other. One of them looked dead arse serious while the other one had rage boiling in his eyes.
"Rampage...Rampage...Rampage." The crowd around was going berserk chanting the name.
One of them slammed the other one straight in the jaw making him stumble and fall. The crowd responded with whoops and hollers.The same guy then grabbed the other pounding his face continuously until he spat blood from his mouth not giving him chance for a comeback.
The crowd again went erratically insane.
How could people enjoy someone's pain?

Sharon,Agnes even Ervin had told me that Adam was once a underground fighter. He must have been on that circle. He must've done the same thing those tall, bruised fighters were doing.
I looked up to him. He was analysing them,his face had a tight,grim expression.There was not a flicker of smile in it.

I was curious. I wanted to know how he ended up at this dreadful place.The more I looked at him, the more curious I got.

I removed my gaze from Adam when the crowd went eerily silent. I quickly glance at the arena to see one of them flying in the mid-air. He landed on the top of the guy who already seemed senseless,ramming his knee on his belly.More blood spurted out from his mouth as he lied there unconscious.
My hands automatically flew to my eyes,covering them.