Chapter 27-Painful Goodbye

Back

To

Evelyn's POV

May 1st...
The day...his body got mixed with the soil and the cement of the graveyard...

"Take me there,Dave. Please take me there."
"I promise I'll do whatever you want. I beg you Dave... Please!" I pleaded, joining both of my palm together, trying to get up from the wheelchair with which I did my locomotion for past few days.

The only reply I could get from him was a smirk. My inhuman dad was going through the papers which were probably my hospital records.
"Dave." I cried.
"I'm sorry Dave. Just once, just once let me go there." I choked on my tears.
A bald man entered the room, a stethoscope tangled around his neck. His sudden entrance filled the room with strong smell of chemicals and antiseptics.

I moved my wheelchair to the other side to prevent him seeing my blood shot eyes.

"I'm afraid Sir, you won't be able to take her home. She is still feeble. Since,it's only been few days of her splenectomy---"
"I can't see my daughter staying all alone here,the visiting hours are too short for me. The grief of her friend's death has made her equally depressed and over that the police are continuously interrogating her. I can't see my little girl this sad and troubled." Dave abruptly cut him off. He was faking his expressions. I couldn't see...since I was facing the other side of the wall.

His performance was Oscar worthy.
I bit my lip.

I know what was going to happen if I was taken home...

"But Mr Richardson,the hospital won't allow you to take her and the police too and what about her medication--"

"What are these made for?" I turned around to see Dave taking out a blank cheque and flinging it towards him.

"Fill whatever amount you want.Oh, and don't worry, I'll take a GOOD care of my precious child, WONT I?" He turned towards me, a sly smile covered his face.

I gulped.

"But Sir t-h-his is-s s-so wrong--" I could see his hands trembling,which held the cheque.
Dave hissed.
The next thing I saw was Dave smoothing the collar of the bald man's crumbled apron.
"I'm sure you'll do the best for us." He glared at him.

The poor man nodded and left.

I survived.He didn't...

Nathan's body was still in the mortuary, he had died the moment he was rushed to the OR.
I,on the other hand got my ruptured spleen removed. There were few minor injuries on my left leg. However, that wasn't the pain that hurt me, Nathan... The thought of never seeing him again was tormenting me,I was slowly dying.
I wanted him. I wanted to see him...
I was the reason behind his death. Only if I-- we never ran away... Only if I never met him...
Nathan...The name reverberated on the walls of my room ever since I got my consciousness back. His image was everywhere. The remorse,the guilt pricked every tissue of my body. I wanted to scream.
Why did he have to die?
Why not me?
I wanted to see him, embrace him. Only if we could switch the bodies I would do that too...

"We're leaving. Get ready." Dave commanded.
"I don't want to go." I said,gulping the lump stuck on my throat.

"Say again?" He growled.
"I-I can--nott eev-en wa--lk pr-oper-ly." I stuttered.

"It's not a big deal." He said nonchalantly.

"Once...Just once...Let me see him."
Before he could reply, Jules suddenly burst in to the room.

"The culprit--" He paused seeing me.
"The investigation stopped." Jules panted,"They are conducting the funeral in the noon."

Funeral?What did he mean... the investigation stopped? They had to find the culprit. The one with the SUV, who slammed our car with full force.
No, this can't end. The culprit was to be found...

Dave had a smug plastered on his face. His eyes were glistening with something that was hard to decipher.
"Just as I expected." He mumbled, a crooked grin crept its way on his lips.

What??

"Didn't you want to meet him?" Dave suddenly turned towards me and smirked.

"But--"

"Jules, take her to the mortuary." He ordered.
He came back and started pushing the handles of my wheelchair in certain direction. I peeked at Dave to see him standing there with a malicious grin.

"What are you doing here?" She screamed.
"Wasn't it enough that you killed him and now you're here to show your fake empathy? Why the fuck are you here?" Paisley got up to attack me but her mom stopped her. Her mom was giving me a disgusted look. They were outside the chamber of the mortuary.

"Paisley , Forgive me. I know I--" I started sobbing.

"Cut it out,I knew there was something off about you. You were such a loner, but I did befriended you. I even claimed you as my bestfriend. But what did you do?Huh?" She screamed, tears were vigorously making the way out of eyes.
"Killed my brother?
He fell for such a weird bitch like you."
She was right, everything she uttered was true.
"No, I'm never forgiving you.No...Never." She shook her head.

"Pais--"
"Don't you fucking say my name. Get the fuck outta here. You're not allowed here. I won't let you see him." She blocked the entrance of the mortuary with her hands.

"Look, Miss we're in hu---" Jules tried to negotiate but she didn't budge.
"Paige, let her see him." Her mom spoke, a frown marred her face.

"No,mom no. She provoked Nate. There was no fuckinh reason for them to drive that late in such weather. Everything is her fault mom... Everything." She rambled.

"I won't let you see him. You got that bitch?" She spat on my face.

"You can blame me Paisley. But I can't tell you the reaso--" I choked.
"Fuck you." She pushed me,the wheels glided and I nearly fell on the concrete floor but Jules caught the handles at the right moment.

"I think we should go Miss." Jules suggested.
I shook my head in denial.
Paisley cackled,sadness was clearly visible.
"You probably pleaded your rich father to stop the investigation, didn't you?" Are you happy that the chance of you being behind the bars is null?"

"No,Paisley. Listen, I--"

"Such a lucky bitch you are." She snorted.
Lucky?
Only if I could tell her the truth...

"Miss, we have to go. It's an order." He emphasised the word 'order'.
DAVE... I cursed under my breath.

I couldn't see him. Nathan... My heart clenched. I started sobbing. "Let me see him Paisley." My plead went unheard. The wheelchair started moving to a opposite direction. I gave one last look to the mortuary.

"You're gonna pay for it." She mouthed.

To be continued...

___________________________________
That took me really long to update. Sorry.
Keep reading.