Chapter 64-Why are you doing this?

Evelyn's POV

Anxiety overflowed through me when I saw him near the winding staircase. I could feel my heart pulsating between my ribs. He had already left kissing me goodbye yet...How?

"Is that how it is?" His voice sounded cold and grim.
"Adam!" I gasped for a breath. He heard everything,every single detail of the conversation,it could be seen on his face.
"You've been lying to me?" Adam brought his fist to his mouth and closed his eyes. When he opened his eyes,he had a pained expression painted on his face.

"Adam,I can explain." He shoved a hand at me to stop me from nearing him

"What am I to you?" He growled.

"ADAM!" My emotions were exploding,my throat was starting to feel heavy with the tears I was trying to hold. I never wanted him to know about me this way. I had to explain to him. I just had to.
But what was I going to tell?

"Tell me,what am I to you because I'm about to...freak out!"Pain laced in his words as he sucked handful of breath. Despite his protest,I still neared him and grabbed his arms. He pushed me away. I dropped back a step with eyes full of tears.

"PLEASE,Stop!" I yelled at him.

"You don't trust me,you never did."

"WHAT?" My voice came out louder than I expected. I felt fear tickling my abdomen. Fear of actually losing everything. The man I loved was moving away from me.

"You seem to tell everything to everybody but not to me because you never trusted me right?"
"What do you see me as...what exactly am I to you?"

"Please wait," he was retreating back,"ADAM!" My feet automatically moved toward him again.

"DON'T!" He raised his finger at me.

"Adam,please let me explain everything. I promise--" I seized his arms once again when he had started to walk away,trying to force him to face me again. He threw my hands aside in such a force that I almost fell back.

"DON'T COME NEAR ME UNTIL YOU BELIEVE I'm worthy of your trust...I can't take this anymore...I can't. It pains me,Evelyn,it hurts me to...,"he paused and huffed out a breath,"...when you don't even care...its not easy." He shook his head and with that he plainly walked away from me. I watched him drifting away. I felt a sharp cut slashing me inside,inflicting a wound that was spreading so rapidly it would break me apart.

I sank down onto the floor weeping uncontrollably,choking on my own tears. Everything had happened so suddenly,he left me just like that. I had known all along that the burden of my lies would someday bury me but I never expected it to be so harsh,so painful."You don't trust me,you never did." Those words were slicing my heart over and over again. Adam had always been so understanding. He had willingly decided to wait for me to explain to him someday. He embraced my flaws,my denials contentedly. But,I hurt him again and again, I bruised him.I knew I could never be selfish and happy at the same time.However,I thought my lies would make everything okay.I was such a fool to think so.
I couldn't even think to bear to lose Adam. I was deeply into him now. I just couldn't lose him.

"Sorry,I didn't mean to eavesdrop. I just came to fetch a skewer."A voice rung from the doorway. I quickly wiped my tears with back of my hand and stood up but my knees gave in and I fell hard on the linoleum floor.
William ran over to me and held his hand out for me,"Are you okay?"
I nodded at him and reached for his hand. He carefully pulled me back to my feet.
"Forgive me Evelyn,I shouldn't have asked you to come meet me. I should've kept ignoring you--"

"No!It's not your fault. It'll be alright,I'm sure it'll be.But I don't know how." All the grief came hurling back and my tears erupted in an impossible rate. How was I going to explain the reason of my lies?If I came clear about my past regarding Dave and his monstrosity,it would thoroughly put Adam in danger. He would want to know more,might want to help me free myself from Dave and the worst was he could openly alert Dave about our relationship.Contrary to it, he might not even want to involve with me and my awful past. No matter what,inviting him into my world was extremely perilous.
William slowly put his arm around my shoulder and patted it.
"He might be mad now but I'm sure he'll come to listen to you.Go after him,lassie."