Chapter 23- Saviour

I apologize for this late update.
Thank you @hpelessromantic for the amazing cover.

Evelyn's POV

Rain and tears blended on my face, salty tears mixing into the fresh sky-fallen rain drops. Only the redness of my eyes gave any clue to my sadness covering my face. There was a heaviness to my clothes that were soaking wet because of rain, but my body was numb. I was heading to a direction which I knew nothing about. In other words I was just walking. The morning looked dark, fierce. Clouds were roaring so loud as if they were the one who felt the pain and agony. Even the weather knew the thoughts that were battling inside me, it was mocking me to the fullest.
Why? Why always me?
Why am I the one who has to face such miseries?
First, it was my horrible father who made my life a living hell. Second, it was Adam who... What was our identity? Who was Adam to me? He is someone whom your heart cherishes,Eve.

Better end my life than to live in this disastrous world. I quit... I quit fighting for the liberty. The memories of past will always hunt me all the life and the present isn't perfect as I thought it would be.
I have lost hope,faith,trust...Love?
Without thinking further, I stepped down the highway where cars were passing like air,one after the other. My feet were trembling. It wasn't the first time I decided to end my life,it wasn't the first time I ran away from the home. Deep Breaths.
It will be over in few minutes,Everything...

I glanced up at the screeching sound, the blare of a horn. I saw the front of the glossy black BMW in front of me, the driver was screaming some gibberish I didn't understand and moving his hands in a frantic way, I couldn't move,All I could see was the car coming toward me at an impossible speed.

My eyes were bigger and wider and suddenly I shut it in fear.There is no way I'm going to be able to get out of its way.

Out of nowhere I felt a warm hand gripping my waist and yanking me to a certain direction.
"ARE YOU NUTS?" My saviour shouted at the top of his lungs.
My eyes were still closed and I was trembling.
"Open your damn eyes. You're safe now." He said.

I slowly opened them...
"You?"
"Yeah, me." He deadpanned. "You couldn't be doing what I thought you were doing, right?" He arched his brows.
"What?"
"You were all wet, walking blindly towards a running car right there," he pointed towards the highway."I bet it was a suicidal attempt.
COME TO YOUR SENSE EVELYN." He gripped the both sides of my shoulder and shook me.
"Wha...what was I doing?" I couldn't believe I tried running into a moving car, trying to end my life.
"I don't know what you were doing. If I wasn't present at that moment you could've... hey are you listening to me?" He furrowed his brows.
"I'm sorry. I didn't hear you..Erv..umm Mr. Thorpe." I raked my hair.
"Mr . Thorpe? Okay, that did me make look old. I'm just twenty three." He pouted his lips like a kid.

"Oh okay, Ervin I'm sorry."
"That's much better." He grinned. "But seriously why did you do you that?" He asked removing the smile from his face.

"I-I don't know. I just happened to go the-the-there I couldn't figurrr-e ouut.I" I rambled.
Why did I do that?
I remembered promising myself that I won't ever do such absurd thing like suicide to Hannah. She motivated me to stay strong all my life even if there were miseries and bad days. She had said that one day all of these bad days would vanish and good one would appear. "Miss, I know you'll live as a happiest person someday.Blessed and loved by everyone. Promise me you won't kill yourself?"
I'm sorry Hannah. What did I do?

"Is everything okay?"Ervin softly said.
"No...I mean yes." Tears stated welling up in my eyes.

He just smiled a warm smile, patting my back he said,"C'mon let's go." The rain had already stopped. When?
"Wait...WHERE?."I quickly asked.

"To where you live?"Ervin raised a brown.

"Uh-No,I'm not going back there." I retreated few steps back. I don't want to see Adam's face.
"Okay, let's go then."

"I'm not going there."

"Believe me, I'm not taking you back there." He emphasized 'there'. "Your best friend is waiting." He stated.

"What? She knows about this?" My eyes got bigger.
"No,how could she know? I just felt that right now you need her more than me or anybody else." He eyed me from head to toe and said.

"Thanks." I expressed my gratitude. He hailed a cab and motioned me to go in. I didn't notice back then he was in the casual attire.
"Oh, I was going back home from gym." He grinned taking the passenger seat beside me.
I nodded.

"As much as I know, Adam stayed up most of the nights drinking at my place. Sometimes with me, sometimes alone. Whenever I asked him, he would just ignore me and focus on drinking. Now that you did something like that, I think you both are dealing with some bad situations? Am I right?" He questioned.

"I don't know where to start with. Everything became unbearable, I was not in the right state of my mind...I--"

"It's okay if it's hard to explain. Just listen to what I have to say now,"he exhaled a breath. "Suicide is just wrong in every way. You might think you're doing a favor to the world, to your family by ending your life. Killing oneself never makes a world a better place. There will be such sadist people who will enjoy your sad ending but what about those people who loves you? Have you ever thought about them, how hard it will be for them to lose you? You're precious Evelyn. Your life is meaningful no matter how worthless you think it is. No matter how bad things may seem in one's life, suicide is just not necessary. Things can always get better if you try your best. Believe me, everything will be okay." He patted on the back of my hand.
"Ervin, you...?"
"That was long, isn't it?" He giggled.
A strange type of feeling enveloped me. Whatever he said was right. Suicide isn't the solution.
"Ervin...can you please do this one last favour?" I pleaded.
"What? You want my jacket or what?" He looked at me questionably.
I realised that my clothes were all wet.
"No-no, it's not that." I smiled. He really is a straight forward person.

"Then?"

"Uh- Please keep this thing a secret. Please don't spill it to Shar, Adam anybody..." I pleaded." I don't want Sharon to freak out hearing all the suicide thing." I shook my head in shame.

"Hmm... okay." He smiled.
"Thank you so much. I owe you my life." I smiled back.

"Mention not." He winked. "By the way,I never got your full name?"

"Evelyn Rich..." I pulled a brake to my mouth before I spilled my real surname to him.
"Rivers...Evelyn Rivers." I lied again.

"You're such an interesting person, Evelyn Rivers." He punched my shoulder lightly.
I still can't decipher the feelings I have towards him. It was strange. Whatever it is he feels like someone whom I've known since a very very long time.

_______________________________
Extremely sorry for this super late update.