Afraid of the Dark

Afraid of the Dark

My bed in my dorm room at school was surprisingly comfortable, despite what one might expect. I didn't generally have trouble sleeping in it, even though the college atmosphere caused me more stress than I had ever experienced in my entire life. But for some reason, I wasn't sleeping well tonight. I had been laying in bed for a couple hours. I looked at my phone for a while, then set my alarm and turned over to go to sleep. I made up scenarios in my mind, which usually helped me get to sleep, but I ran out of plot ideas before I could drift off. I went back to looking at my phone, but it was almost three in the morning and nobody was awake or posting anything interesting. It got to a point where I was staring at my ceiling and the random shadows of furniture in the room. My eyes were accustomed to the darkness, and my room didn't really seem that dark at all anymore. The seconds were ticking by ever so slowly, and I just knew that I wasn't going to get any sleep that night. Class the next day was going to be terrible, and I'd need a lot of coffee in order to function. But just when I started having this realization, I noticed something. The curtains in front of my window moved.

The window was open to let some air in since I was living up on the third floor and it was a little warm, but it wasn't windy out. The weather could be changing, though...right? I had come to that conclusion until I noticed the figure in my window. I blinked a couple times, rubbed my eyes, pinched myself, the works. This was real. There was a man coming in through the window in the middle of the night, and I was absolutely terrified. I wanted to get up and beat him with something, or scream, but I found myself paralyzed in bed until the man had made his way inside the room and had started walking towards me, his eyes glowing red in the dark.

"Wh-who are you?" I stuttered, unsure of what to say. I was amazed that I could find any words at all.

"I'm one of the things that goes bump in the night," a malevolent voice hissed, a nasty grin creeping onto the man's face.

"Why are you here? Wait, h-how are you here? This is the third floor!" I realized. Things were finally coming together in my brain.

"I'm not exactly human, you see. I have my ways of getting around. And I don't know why you're surprised to see me. I'm here every night." I gulped. Every night? What?!

"You've been here before?" I sputtered, fear creeping in as he got closer to my bed.

"Of course I have. I watch you every night. I don't come around until the early hours of the morning when almost everyone has fallen asleep. But I guess you're having a bit of an insomnia problem tonight, aren't you?" The man's voice was deep and his white teeth glistened in the moonlight that poured in from the window.

"What the hell are you?" I was starting to get defensive as he inched closer, his claw-like fingernails resting on my desk next to my bed.

"Everyone has their own monster, the thing that lives in their closet or under their bed that is made up of their fears. It changes as you get older. I once looked a lot more like a creature than a human, but then you learned to fear and be untrusting of your own kind, didn't you? Yes, you've seen me before, years ago. It's been a while, but I can promise you that I never left." He reached out his hand to touch my arm and he latched on, his claws digging into my skin. I tried to pry his fingers off of me, but he was much stronger than I had imagined.

"Get off of me! Let go!" I began to yell, remembering that I could be saved from this. Someone in the room next door or across the hall was bound to hear me!

"Shh, shh! Don't make a scene, now. I won't hurt you that much if you just behave. I'm only here to visit for a while," he explained. He put a hand over my mouth, muffling my shouts, and he sat down next to me. He removed his hand from my mouth and I found that I couldn't scream. No sound came out of my mouth, even when I tried to speak. I couldn't move, either. I was paralyzed. In fact, I was completely helpless. I had no idea what this thing was going to do to me, but I was sure that I would die. And yet, I didn't. He ran his fingers through my hair, caressed my cheek, and stared at me with his demonic red eyes. He didn't hurt me, not really. But I was tense and afraid the entire time he was around, and I didn't fall asleep until the sun started to come up and he disappeared. I only was asleep for an hour or two before I had to be awake again, and I noticed claw marks on my arm as I got ready for class.

********************************************

The memory of this man haunted my thoughts every single night, but I had done whatever I could to fall asleep at night ever since then. I still occasionally woke up with bruises or scratches, and I knew what they were from, even if I couldn't remember getting them. But I was having another night of insomnia, and once again, nothing was helping me fall asleep. I did anything and everything, and I was desperate.

"Just fall asleep already!" I cried out in frustration, banging a fist on my desk.

"Angry, are we?" Oh no. It was the sinister voice again, this time coming from my wardrobe. The doors slowly creaked open and the familiar man stepped out, the same eerie smile plastered on his face. Fear built up inside me as my rage turned into anxiety.

"Stay away from me!" I cried, with the intention of getting up and getting the hell out of my room. But before I could even make any movements, the monster of a person was somehow sitting on my bed with me. He quickly wrapped his arms around me, tightly holding me there so that I couldn't move.

"Shh, don't worry. Everything is alright now that Dark's here." Dark? Is that what he called himself? I had to admit that the name suited him. He lived in the dark, his hair and clothing was dark, and his intentions were dark.

"Why are you doing this?" I sobbed, so frightened of what he might do. I knew that he was powerful. I was sure that he could do whatever he wanted to hurt me, and I had no idea what to expect or when to expect it.

"This is my job, my passion, the one thing I absolutely love to do," he growled, his breath hot on my neck.

"You're passionate about scaring people?" I questioned him. It wasn't as if there was anything else to do. There wasn't any escape from him.

"Why do you say that? Are you afraid of the Dark?" he asked, digging his claws into my skin until I bled.

"Stop, please! I'll do anything you want if you just leave me alone," I begged, tears rolling down my cheeks. Dark began laughing maniacally at this request, his claws going in deeper until he was able to calm down again. He released his death grip and wiped away my tears, but the unpredictable creature that he was would be with me for a while.

"I can't leave you alone. I never will. You're stuck with me forever, so you might as well enjoy tonight. I'll be sure to dig my claws back in when you fall asleep so we can spent lots of quality time together." My body shook as he reverted back to pushing my hair out of my eyes and touching my cheek as he had during our first recent encounter. His glowing eyes seemed to be burning holes in my soul, even when I closed my own. I could still see the crimson color when I tried to block it out. I couldn't even escape the sight of him! And I guess he was right. I was absolutely afraid of the Dark, and he was here to stay.

Hey guys, I hope you enjoyed this one shot! Please vote for it if you did and leave me some comments with your opinions. If you have any requests for one shots, shoot me a message! Thanks for reading :)