SCP-0619

SCP-0619

I was always a little nervous about starting a new job. The change was scary. You had to meet and get to know new people, get a feel for the environment, and quickly learn how to do something new, the way your boss wanted it done. But I had never been quite as nervous for a new job as I was when I walked into the SCP Containment Building for my first day.

I had always been interested in the supernatural, so I had spent a lot of time doing research on the SCP Foundation, interested to learn about the different anomalies that were deemed SCPs in the hopes that maybe one day I could work for the Foundation officially. I didn't really know if I wanted to be one of the people searching for new SCPs and catching them, working with them one-on-one to learn about them, or if I just wanted to research them and document my findings. All I knew was that I wanted to be a part of it, any of it. But, of course, everyone has to start somewhere, and it's usually at the bottom. So my new job consisted of working as a guard at the facility, making sure everything was locked up and all of the already caught and found SCPs stayed contained throughout the night while the other employees weren't there.

I had already been through my training which consisted of a tour of the facility, a rundown on all of the different SCPs and the equipment and technology that kept them contained, and plans on what needed to be done if anything was faulty or if any of them somehow got out. But my training had taken place during the day, when the facility was bustling with workers and I felt incredibly safe and surrounded by people. Starting today, my shifts would be at night, and I would be all alone in the building for the first time. Well, almost all alone. There was one other guard, but he was in charge of a completely different part of the building and we weren't very likely to see each other much all night. Other than that, it was just me and the SCPs.

Clearly, I had good reason to be a little worried about my first real shift. But besides the fact that it was a dangerous job and I'd be more or less the only human around, a new SCP had just recently been caught the day before my shift and I had received very little training on how to handle it. I was given a brief rundown on what it was, how it was contained, and what I should do if it got out. But I had no practice being around it, and even the foundation was still unsure about most aspects of the new anomaly. So really, they did the best they could with preparing me. It just would be more comforting if I had a little more to go on.

The facility looked incredibly intimidating as I pulled up the drive in my car. It was a large building and it looked almost like a prison - I guess it was a prison for the SCPs. It was a dark building and it was illuminated mostly by the moon along with a few lights that littered the spacious parking lot. I chose a parking spot near the door, next to the only other car in the lot - it had to have belonged to the other night guard. I took out my keys and let myself into the building. Here goes nothing.

The other guard, Robert, was clocking in - he must have just arrived, like me. He smiled as I walked in, closing and locking up the door behind me.

"Hey there! Ready for your first night?" he asked. He was a tall, burly guy, with black hair and a curly black mustache to match.

"As ready as I'll ever be," I replied, not a single ounce of confidence in my voice.

"It's really not as bad as you think. You might be a bit afraid your first week, but just remember that I'm in here, too. I've had this job for years, so I know the ins and outs of the place. I know the SCPs and they know me. I'll be available on my walkie if you need help or if you just want some company. And after a few nights you'll start to get used to the job," Robert assured me.

"Thanks, Robert. I'm just a little concerned about the new SCP, is all," I admitted.

"Right, it's 0619's first night, too. Listen, I understand how frightening it can be to have to guard something new that even the foundation doesn't know much about, but I know you've got this. When I first started, 173 was new. It was terrifying, not knowing exactly what to expect of him. But now I'm practically an expert on keeping him at bay, even if he manages to get out. Billy seems like nothing, now! You'll feel the same way about 0619 in no time, I'm sure of it."