Skype Call

Skype Call

Living with your best friends can be a ton of fun, but every once in a while, it's nice to get a break from constantly being around them. My roommates were all out for the night, and I had decided to stay home alone. Normally, being home alone meant dancing like an idiot and singing obnoxiously around the house, watching whatever I wanted on TV and not having to use headphones while I watched Youtube videos. But tonight, I had something else on my agenda: Skyping with my boyfriend.

I had met the guy online. Yes, I know that can be dangerous and that people often lie about who they are on the internet, but Mark was legit. I had done everything I had seen on Catfish - reverse image searched, searched his phone number, made sure his social media seemed normal - and everything had checked out. We talked on the phone and he sent me Snapchats as well as specific pictures that I had asked for. The only thing we hadn't done yet was video chat, and we had planned our first Skype date for the night I'd have the house to myself so I wouldn't disturb my roommates and we could talk as late as we wanted.

Despite all my research and my confidence in Mark, I still found myself a little nervous as I logged on to Skype that night. What if he made an excuse now and he refused to video chat? What if he was just really good at Catfishing and the person on the screen didn't end up being the guy in the pictures? The doubt that had been in the back of my mind was creeping in and my nerves were eating at my stomach. Then, I received a text as I saw Mark's Skype name pop up on the list of online friends on my laptop screen.

Mark: I see you're online. You ready to Skype?

Me: Yep, I'm ready!

I brushed a stray piece of hair out of my face and straightened out my shirt, looking at my reflection on my screen. Why was I so damn jittery? Everything was going to be just fine...

An incoming video call popped up on the screen, and I took a deep breath before clicking to answer it. I was expecting the worst, trying to prepare myself for every possibility, so I was incredibly relieved when I saw a familiar face smiling at me from the other side of his own screen. Everything looked the same as the pictures: brown eyes, dark hair speckled with bright red, and no glasses because he was waiting on new ones to come in.

"Hey there," he grinned, showing off his perfect white smile as he waved at me. I let out a large breath of air and waved back.

"Hey!"

"Now you officially know that I'm not a Catfish," he said, his deep, soothing voice putting me at ease.

"Yeah, and now you know that I am. Sorry that I'm not the supermodel you thought you had been dating," I joked, referencing what often happened on the show.

"Yeah, right. As far as I'm concerned, you might as well be a supermodel. You're just as gorgeous as ever," he commented. I could see my cheeks turning a light shade of pink in my webcam at the corner of the screen.

"That's a bit of a stretch, but thanks for the compliment. You're not so bad yourself, although I've probably told you that every single time you've sent me a new picture or video."

"Hey, I don't mind. I wore this shirt in the hopes that you might say it more," he smirked. He was in a dark gray henley, which I had told him he looked really good in the last time he sent me a photo of himself wearing it. He had preceded to send a shirtless picture in response, asking if he looked good out of it. I had never really sent him any photos that were too revealing because I had been cautious about dating someone online, but some hot and heavy conversations may or may not have ensued. I mean, we had been dating for almost a year. Certain measures have to be taken when you can't physically be with the person you're attracted to...