Go Back To Sleep

Go Back To Sleep

Rain pitter-pattered against your roof as you climbed into bed. Thunder was gently rumbling too, adding to the ambience. You loved when it stormed at night - you always slept well with the sounds of rain and thunder as white noise. That mixed with the warmth of your blankets and comfort of your bed helped you fall asleep rather quickly.

It must have been hours later when you woke up. You could still hear the storm going on outside, but something was off. You felt strange, like there was someone or something there in your room with you. It was like a gut feeling, an instinct, and even though it wouldn't make sense for anyone to be there with you, you knew you had to check.

You reluctantly opened your eyes and saw nothing but darkness - you were facing your wall and it would take time for your eyes to adjust to the lack of lighting. You surveyed your room anyways - the window gave a bit of light since you lived in a populated area. In the corner of your room, there was a shadow that looked humanoid - were you imagining it? Maybe you weren't fully awake yet, and your thoughts were just mixed up. But you had to check to be sure.

You fumbled for your phone which sat on a pillow next to you. You turned the flashlight on and aimed it at the shadow, now illuminated to reveal a strange man you'd never met before standing in your bedroom.

The man was dressed in a gray suit perfectly tailored to him. His hair was dark and so were his eyes, almost as if he had makeup on. He was standing with his hands clasped behind his back, staring at you intently as if his life depended on it. But probably the strangest part was the fact that he seemed to be in grayscale, with reds and blues floating around him in places, outlining him and his features. He looked like a human, but was he? That and a million other questions swirled around in your head, and you struggled to choose one to ask out loud.

"What...what are you doing in my room? Who are you? Wh-what's going on?!" You stuttered as you spoke, afraid of the unknown being in the corner, unsure of what he would do and what you should do.

"So many questions. You're a curious one, aren't you?" the man smirked, straightening his suit jacket and tie. Your heart raced as he moved. Even though they were small and normal movements, you didn't know what to expect him to do next.

"You'll get your questions answered. But for now, just go back to sleep," he commanded. For a moment, you thought about protesting - how could you just go back to sleep when there was a stranger in your house with you? But then you began feeling tired, and your eyes grew heavier and heavier until you couldn't bear to keep them open anymore.

********************

You found yourself laying on a cold tile floor. It was black, and so was everything around you. You slowly got to your feet and took in your surroundings. You had no idea where you were, but there seemed to be nothing for miles in this place - there didn't appear to be walls, windows, doors, or furniture, but there was no sun or moon or wind either. You didn't know if you were technically inside or outside - your only clue was the hard, smooth surface you were standing on.

You heard and felt nothing for a couple minutes except for your feet on the floor as you walked and your voice calling out, hoping for an answer from someone. But it wasn't until after you gave up your attempt at communication that you started to hear it.

It was a ringing sound in your ears. It started out quiet and gradually got louder and louder until you almost couldn't stand it anymore. You pressed your hands against your ears, hoping that might muffle it somehow even though you had no idea where the sound was coming from. And then you saw it - red and blue hues around a silhouette that became clearer as it came closer. It was the same man from your bedroom - now he was here with you too, wherever here was.

"What is this place?" you asked. Your voice echoed even though you weren't sure if there were any walls for it to echo off of.

"It's your dream world. It can look like anything your mind wants it to, but as of right now, I'm the one in control," he explained. Wait, he was in control?

"You're controlling my dreams? My MIND?" Who the hell was this guy?

"Don't worry, I'm not going to mind control you to do or say anything. I'm not that powerful. But I do have the ability to show up in your dreams if I so choose. I can change your dream world to something a bit brighter, if you want."

"I don't care what my dream world looks like right now. You still haven't told me who or what you are or why any of this is happening!" you panicked.

Suddenly you both were in some sort of warehouse and you were tied to a chair, duct tape on your mouth so you couldn't speak. You writhed in your seat, your words coming out as mumbles.

"It would be wise to care a little more about having control over your environment. As you said, you still don't know me, so how can you trust me?" He ripped the duct tape off of your mouth so you could be understood again. "My name is Dark, and I'm a demon. Hence the powers and unusual appearance."

"Okay. It's nice to meet you, Dark. Can you please get me out of this chair and into someplace a little nicer?" you asked calmly. A couple seconds later, the two of you were in what looked like a mansion, but you were still bound to the chair.

"I'm not ready to free you just yet. It's kind of fun, being in control," Dark smiled, walking behind you. You felt his hands on your shoulders and you flinched.

"You're pretty jumpy, aren't you? Try to relax. This is just a dream, after all."

"Forgive me, but I have a hard time being completely chill around demons I've only known for a couple minutes!" you retorted.

"Well, lucky for you, your alarm won't wake you up for another few hours. That gives us plenty of time to get to know each other better," he said, leaning close enough for his breath to tickle your ear as he spoke. A few more hours of you being in a world under his control? You didn't know how to wake yourself up or how to escape from him! Anything could happen, and who's to say he couldn't stop you from waking up so he could keep you under his control?

"So, you want out of this chair?" he asked, releasing his hands from your shoulders and returning to the front of you so you could see him again. You nodded. The chair and material that bound you to it disappeared and you fell to the floor, taken aback from the sudden lack of support underneath you. You pushed yourself up and stood, rubbing your wrists which were a bit red from being tied.

"Thanks," you muttered, glad to be free. Or at least, more free than you were.

"No problem. But, just a warning." You looked up at him and in a second he had you pushed up against the wall, his hands on either side of you to keep you there. "Don't forget that I'm in charge." His eyes could have burned holes into yours with how intense his stare was, and he wore a slight frown as he said this to show that he wasn't messing around.

"I won't forget," you answered quietly, terrified of what he might do if you said or did the wrong thing.

"Good," he said, taking a step back so you were no longer pinned. "Now, where would you like to go? I can take you anywhere in this world..."

**********************

When your alarm woke you up later, you were sure that you had gone to many different places with Dark, but you couldn't remember the details. He was no longer in your room in the morning, and you didn't see him again for the rest of the day. But you had a feeling that you'd see him again in your dreams, and you were both frightened and curious about what might happen.

Hope you guys enjoyed this Darkiplier one shot! It was inspired by the recent van video with Dark's voice as well as his other recent appearances in Mark's videos. Also, if you're a fan of Darkiplier, make sure you check out my story called "A Deal With Dark". It's ongoing and while updates don't happen super often due to my busy schedule, they are happening when possible and I'm having a ton of fun writing it :)