The Guy From the Sixth Floor

Finally, relaxation. I was a college freshman, and I had just moved into my dorm two days previously. It had been a busy couple of days. Day one was moving and unpacking day, as well as a chance to explore campus. Day two had been decorating and shopping day, and now that it was transitioning into night, I was done and settled. I had everything I needed and my room was looking good. The room theme was black, white, and red, and both sides looked great. My roommate and I had decided to loft our beds for more space. I had black, white, and gray pillows and blankets on my bed, and my desk and a cool bungee cord looking red chair was underneath it. My roommate had a similar set up on the other side of the room, and our closets and dressers were across from our beds. We also had a mini fridge and microwave (of course), a TV (complete with my red Wii), and some extra storage. Our walls were decorated with black and silver wall decals. I had quotes posted around my desk as well, and we both had posters. We had dry erase boards too, to keep track of our schedules and any meetings that were coming up.

“I am definitely NOT ready for classes to start,” my roommate declared, and I couldn’t agree more.

“Neither am I. I like what we have going right now much better,” I decided. Luckily, we still had a couple days before classes started up. Until then, we could continue to go to welcome week activities on campus as well as walk around and check things out, maybe even meet new people. My roommate was my friend from high school, and I had other high school friends at college with me as well, but I knew I should get out there and get to know new faces. I was always a really shy person, and I never knew where to start. That was probably why I was sitting in my room on my computer at the time. I mean, I had to take advantage of the great wifi on campus, right?

As interesting as the Internet was, both me and my roommate were suddenly distracted by the sound of a male voice. No, multiple male voices. Our door was open, and we had tried to keep it open whenever we could in hopes that we’d make friends that way, but we never heard guys. Our floor only housed females, so it sounded like we had some visitors. Not that I was complaining - I always had way too many girl friends and not enough guy friends. This could be good.

“I wonder what they’re doing up here,” my roommate commented.

“Maybe they know some of our floor mates,” I suggested. She shrugged and we both returned to our computer business that wasn’t really business at all. Tumblr was more like it.

“Hey guys,” a deep voice greeted us. There was a guy standing in our doorway, saying hello. He was about five foot ten, with dark hair, chocolate brown eyes behind a pair of glasses, and a stunning smile. He had a bit of scruff on his chin, and he had a decent body from what I could tell - his t-shirt made him look pretty built. 

“Hi,” my roommate and I both said at the same time. He read our names which were posted on the outside of our door and asked which one was which. He actually guessed correctly, oddly enough, so it was a pretty good ice breaker. He introduced himself too. Apparently he was Mark, from the sixth floor.

“You guys have a cool room,” he decided, speaking in his deep voice. It was the kind of voice that sounded like it should be on the radio, but somehow I liked it much more than any radio show host I had ever heard. Quite frankly, I could probably listen to it all day.

“Thank you,” we answered.

“Are those types of chairs actually comfortable?” he wondered, finally entering the room.

“Yeah, they’re super fun to sit in, too. You can check it out if you want,” I offered. I was finally talking to someone, so I couldn’t let him just slip away. 

“I’ll take you up on that offer,” Mark decided, and he took a seat in the red bungee chair under my lofted bed. He bounced in it a little, and he looked like a little kid in a toy store, much like I had the first time I sat in it. It was funny, and kind of cute, actually. 

“I think I need to invest in one of these,” he chuckled after he stood back up.

“I would highly recommend it!”

“Well, I’d love to stay and talk to you guys, but I still have a few more people to introduce myself to. I’d definitely like to hang out sometime, though. Maybe we could grab dinner together or explore campus?”

“Yeah, for sure!” I agreed. At that point, my roommate wasn’t talking much. I think she sensed that we had something going and didn’t want to intrude on it.

“Can I get your numbers? I’ll give you mine too, and we can figure something out,” Mark said. We exchanged phone numbers and he smiled again.

“It was nice to meet you two,” he declared, and we smiled back.

“It was nice to meet you as well,” I replied.

“Yeah, nice to meet you!” my roommate chimed in. He waved goodbye and headed out and down the hallway. I listened and heard him introducing himself to someone a few doors down who had their door open like us.

“Tell me what you’re thinking. I know you have something on your mind!” my roommate laughed. I felt blood rush to my cheeks as she did.

“I’m just thinking that I could get used to him hanging around, that’s all,” I confessed. So far, college wasn’t scary like I thought it would be. It had its perks.

Hey guys! I actually just started college, so this one-shot was very much inspired by that. Unfortunately, Mark didn't really come visit me in my dorm, but hey. Anyways, please vote if you enjoyed this quick little story and let me know what you think in the comments section. :)

*****************************************

Okay you don't even understand how funny this is. I just posted this and right afterwards some guy saw my red bungee cord chair thing because the door is open and he literally asked to sit in it and I let him and then he left like holy crap this is just a hilarious coincidence.