Paranoid

Paranoid

You smiled to yourself as you checked Mark's Youtube channel. He had just posted a new 3 Scary Games video, and those were always your favorites. You settled in on the couch with a cozy blanket and clicked on the video, turning up the volume on your laptop and making the video full screen.

"Hello everybody! My name is Markiplier and welcome back to 3 Scary Games," Mark's voice boomed. He turned down the lights in the video to set the mood, and the lights in your living room flickered.

Or did they?

Maybe you had just imagined it...

You continued watching as Mark introduced the first game, and you swore the lights shifted again as his face cam glitched on screen.

You hadn't been paranoid before you started the video, but now you were; especially since you were the only one at home. You got up and flipped the light switch on and off a few times, checking to see if maybe the light bulb was about to burn out or there was some electrical problem. But everything seemed fine. So, you returned to your computer and let the video play.

You were more aware of everything that was happening now. Every sound affected you. The air kicking on and off, the water running since you had a load of laundry going, and the little creaks that happened every so often as your house settled naturally. Not to mention the fact that you were listening for strange sounds in the video, and your eyes kept returning to Mark's face cam since that glitch had occurred, making static.

A voice spoke in the video, somewhat softly. You couldn't quite make out what it was saying. It was familiar somehow, but it didn't feel like it belonged in the game Mark was playing. He noticed it too, and wondered if it was from the game at all, or if he had heard it in his house. He removed his headphones and looked around, fear and confusion in his eyes.

And then he was gone. Completely off of the screen even though you hadn't seen him physically walk out of his recording room. Vanished, with a bit of a glitchy, staticky effect again.

You heard a thud in your kitchen, and it startled you, causing you to jump. You paused the video and hesitantly got up to investigate. You didn't see anyone or anything, and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Maybe something had just fallen over or shifted in the pantry or fridge. Or that was at least what you told yourself in an attempt to calm your racing heartbeat.

You glanced out the windows just to make sure nobody was around except you, and you saw no one. You checked the locks on the doors and you appeared to be locked in and safe. So once again, you returned to your computer and pressed play.

You heard that strange voice in the video again, despite the fact that Mark's empty recording space was the only thing on screen. But this time, it was louder and clearer. You understood what it said.

"This is what you want, isn't it?" The voice was deep and sinister, with an eerie echo to it. It was Dark's voice.

"You want to see me. You clicked on this video just hoping that I might show up."

You noticed that the door in the back of Mark's office was beginning to open. You weren't sure what the door led to - maybe it was a closet, or another room, but it was completely pitch black inside as the door creaked open. You turned your brightness up all the way on your laptop and squinted your eyes trying to see if there was anything behind that door.

"Well, here I am," Dark spoke. Your face was only a few inches from your screen as you tried to see him.

Mark reappeared on screen again, and it made you jump. He seemed to just appear with that strange effect again, right in front of his desk like he had never left. The door behind him was closed, like nobody had ever opened it.

"That was weird. I swear I heard a voice," Mark said, putting his headphones back on and returning to the game. He shrugged it off and acted as if nothing had happened.

A few minutes passed. He finished one game and moved on to the next. You hoped for some more scares; maybe even some more glitches or spooky things added in post by Mark or Lixian. You dropped your guard and not much else happened other than the jump scares in game. And then you heard that voice again.

"Sorry. You didn't get a very good glimpse of me, did you?" Dark queried, but this time there was no reaction from Mark. That seemed odd to you, based on how loud and clear it was. You had heard it perfectly.

And then you heard something else. Something in real life.

The handle of your front door jiggled, as if someone was trying to open it. Your heart skipped a beat and then began racing again as the door unlocked and started to open, just like the door in Mark's recording room.

You weren't expecting company.

You grabbed your phone, ready to dial 911 as you got up to investigate once again. By the time you checked, the door was fully open, but nobody was there. You peeked your head out the door, and you saw nobody. But when you had checked just minutes earlier, the door had been locked, and it was fully latched closed. Things like this didn't just happen...

You were terrified as you went back to your computer again, glancing around your house wildly to see if anyone or anything was there. It was difficult for you to focus on the game or the video in general, at least until Dark spoke in the video once more, this time differently.

Mark made eye contact with the camera, appearing to be looking directly into your eyes. As he spoke, his skin became gray, with reds and blues around him. And his voice wasn't his, it was Dark's. "I think there's something behind you," he breathed.

You didn't know why you looked. You always did, when Mark pulled stunts like that in his videos, because you knew he was just messing around. You knew there wouldn't be anything there. But this time was different.

A figure stood behind you. About 5' 10". Dark hair that fell into his face. Black around his eyes. His body covered by a suit, and his hands clasped behind his back.

You stood up abruptly, pushing your laptop away and letting your phone clatter to the floor. You squeezed your eyes shut, then opened them. You pinched yourself a few times. He was still standing there.

You wanted to scream, or say something, but when you opened your mouth, no sound came out. Even if you could speak, you weren't sure what to say. This all seemed so crazy, but you were seeing it with your own eyes. And not only that, but you felt it. You felt him; his presence. It was like dread had washed over you and consumed your entire body and mind. Your stomach was queasy, your ears were ringing, and you were ungodly afraid.

You decided you needed to get out of the house. Whether what you were seeing and feeling was an insane hallucination or it was real, you had to get out. You turned around and started making your way to the door, not bothering to pick up your phone. You couldn't really think straight.

You made it to the door without looking back, but as you flipped the lock and turned the handle, you felt that uneasiness become stronger. You pulled the door open and a gray hand forcefully pushed it closed, holding it shut tightly.

"You wanted to see me. Now that I'm here, you're really going to try to escape?" Dark asked, clearly offended. You tried pulling at the door, but it was no use. He was much too strong. You cautiously turned around to face him, frightened to find out what was going to happen next.

"I'm afraid you're not going anywhere, y/n. And neither am I." His evil eyes stared into yours as his lips curled up into a malicious grin, warning you how dangerous he really was. "Let's have some fun."