I Don't Wanna be Free: Part 1

A/N: Contains spoilers for A Heist With Markiplier! If you have not seen all endings (or at least the prison route), I'd suggest you go watch that before reading. Otherwise, enjoy :)

I Don't Wanna Be Free: Part 1

Your insides churned as you stepped through the metal detectors in the entrance of Happy Trails Penitentiary. You had been working there for a week; your training and settling in complete, but you were still nervous whenever you came. You had never worked at a facility like this before, with criminals. Your coworkers and the warden assured you that you were safe, but there was still a hint of fear inside you that you could get attacked or have something awful happen to you on the job.

"Alright, y/l/n, you're clear," the man stationed at the metal detector told you, handing your bag to you. Joe was his name. He was friendly enough.

You took your bag and headed to the common area for the guards. It had a little kitchenette and refrigerator, a table and chairs to eat at, and a couple comfy chairs and sofas along with lockers for your belongings. You joined a couple other guards at the lockers, stuffing your bag into yours. You exchanged small talk with your coworkers - the usual "Hello, how are you?"s and comments about how the day might go.

A few minutes later, you headed to the cells with one of your fellow guards who was named Robert. It was time to wake all of the prisoners up.

"Rise and shine!" Robert boomed as he flipped the lights on. He was a big dude with incredibly long black hair that he always wore tied back in a ponytail. He was a lot more intimidating looking than you, which was what scared you. You were afraid the prisoners wouldn't take you seriously or that they might take advantage of you. So far, things had been good and they had been listening to you, but you just never knew what might happen.

"Wake up, everyone! Breakfast is in 30 minutes!" you announced, meandering down the hallway.You glanced into the cells as you went, taking inventory of all of the prisoners.

Happy Trails had both men and women. Their cells were separated, and only men shared cells with men and women with women, but they all shared common areas like the cafeteria. You and Robert were in charge of the men's quarters this morning, and there was a whole big variety of prisoners there.

You passed a big guy with a spiderweb tattoo on his bald head, and a couple skinny yet tall guys who were always seen together. But the prisoner you had taken a special interest in was a man with dark hair that he always slicked back. He had a cute little box tattoo on his arm - it was animated, with a face and arms and little hearts around it. He had the words "DARK" and "MARK" tattooed on his fingers and a strange flow chart on his arm. He tended to cuff his pants and wear just a plain white undershirt rather than his striped prison uniform shirt, and he spoke strangely. You had asked him once if he was from Jersey - everyone apparently always asked him where he was from. But he insisted that he was from Ohio, and he hated comments about the way he talked. But apart from that, he always seemed so happy. He was friends with virtually everyone, and he loved to sing and dance. It had made you wonder how he could have committed a crime, when he appeared to be a good guy. But the warden had warned you that he had murdered his mother, and that despite appearances everyone there was dangerous. Still, you couldn't help but like Yancy - that was this prisoner's name.

This morning, Yancy was already awake when you reached his cell. He flashed a smile at you as you approached him.

"'Mornin' y/l/n!" he greeted you.

"Good morning, Yancy. Showers are open if you're interested," you told him, unlocking and opening up his cell. Robert was doing the same for the guys on the other side of the hall.