Chapter 11

"Alessio, I don't like that you're meeting Lantana without the proper backup" Lorenzo said, voicing this for the hundredth time.  Alessio just kept looking forward, dragging on his cigarette.  "He's not going to try anything stupid in a public place.  Not unless he wants to start a war and let's face it, he doesn't have enough man power or loyalty to pull that off.  He's just using me to get to Cheri."

Alessio chose his restaurant, not the one he took Cheri to, but the other one on the other side of town.  Lorenzo knew why he did this, he had men undercover in the restaurant.  That's why he wasn't too worried about meeting Cheri's dad here.  He had to hand it to his boss, he was always thinking.

Alessio Castellano was seated at his table.  All the way in the back, his back to the wall, so he could keep an eye on things and also no one could get the drop on him.  Lorenzo stood to his side as did Federico, Diego and Sal.

A short, thin man with salt and pepper hair approached his table, followed by three men.  Alessio knew immediately this was Frank Lantana.  Cheri's father and murderer of her fiance.  He wasn't going to deal with that aspect just yet, he'd save that for another time.

"Castellano" his voice raspy from years of smoking.  "Lantana" Alessio responded, putting his hand out for the older man to sit down.  Alessio snapped his fingers and no sooner had he done this, there was a waiter at their table.  "Mr. Castellano?" the waiter said.  "Scotch" he told the man and then looked at Lantana.  "Bourbon" he said.  The waiter nodded and walked off to get their drinks.

"Regarding my daughter" Frank started, then was interrupted by Alessio.  "Yes, regarding your daughter.  Are you aware because of that little stunt you pulled with Geraldo, that she ended up with six stitches and a concussion?" Alessio was trying very hard to put a cap on his anger.

"I am aware of that unfortunate incident" he said in a tone that proved he was hardly moved by it at all.  Alessio scoffed but continued.  "She wants nothing to do with you, you know this don't you?  Yet you still try and pull her towards you.  Why?"  Castellano really wanted to know.

Cheri's father started to cough and it sounded bad.  "I'm dying, Alessio.  I have lung cancer.  I just wanted her in my life before I go.  That's all."

"You could have picked up the phone or shown up yourself, but instead you send a pig with a syringe.  That's not love, that's control.  If you really want to see her, as you claim, I am hosting a party at my home where she will be introduced as my queen.  She has already agreed to see you then" Alessio let him think about that.

Their waiter came back and they placed their orders.  When he left, Frank continued.  "I'm glad she has you" he said.  "I am leaving everything to her, she's my heir and my only child."  Alessio started to think about the ramifications of what the old man had just told him.

"I see the wheels are turning, Castellano.  Yes, my empire, such as it is, will be hers and in affect yours as well.  I'm trusting that my men will be taken care of?" he said.  He coughed some more.  "I have been preparing them for this for the last six months.  They know it's coming.  My men are loyal, Alessio and that means they trust me and now they will trust you."

Alessio, Lorenzo, Federico, Diego and Sal rode in silence until Rico spoke up.  "Boss, I'm not really sure how I feel about the Castellano and Lantana families becoming one and I'm not sure I buy his 'loyal' story either.  Call me jaded, but I don't wanna get burned from the inside out."  Alessio understood exactly where Rico was coming from.

The last meeting was with the business owner trying to back out of giving over his protection money.  They pulled up to a little deli about fifteen miles from Alessio's home called Salvatore's Deli.  They made the best salami and provolone sandwiches in Jersey.

"Don Castellano" Sal, the owner greeted Alessio.  "Sal, we need to talk" Alessio said pointing towards the back room.  "This way" the man said.  Walking into the office, the man begged Alessio to sit down.

"Now Sal, you know I'm always fair and I will always listen, not jumping to conclusions.  So, having said that, I need to know why?" he asked the nervous man.

"You know my Maria?" he asked, speaking of his wife.  Alessio nodded as he continued.  "We get a doctor's report.  She got the cancer.  We have insurance but it no covers everything so I am short this month.  I didn't know what else to do" the man said trying to hold it together.

Alessio looked back at Federico, who took a checkbook out of his breast pocket, handing it to his boss.  "Sal, how much do you and Maria need?" he asked, his pen poised to write.

Sal put his hands out, gesturing no.  "Alessio, I cannot take money from you, por favore" he said almost in tears.  Sighing, Castellano looked at the man.  "Sal, calm down.  This is a gift.  Not something you need to worry about paying back.  I want you to continue your payments to me, per our contract but not with this hanging over your head.  So, I'll ask again.  How much?"

The owner swallowed hard but answered the question.  "Ten thousand, Alessio.  Ten grand."  The poor man looked defeated as he watched his Don scribble out a check.  Once done, he folded it and slid it across the table.  "Wait until we are gone to open this" he instructed.  The man nodded.

Standing the men looked at one another as Sal approached, kissed Alessio on both cheeks and told him thank you over and over.  "You and Maria are good people, Sal.  You work hard and you provide services and give back to your community.  You've been good and loyal to my family and I don't forget things like that" Alessio told him.

Castellano was not a charity but on rare occasions he was known to help those who were really in need and out of his own pocket.  What he received in return?  Loyalty and the fact his mother would be proud of him for helping his fellow man.

"Lorenzo, I'm ready to go home" Alessio said, looking out the window as they drove towards the Jersey turnpike.  Taking his phone from his suit pocket, he pushed redial and waited.

"Alessio" she said, knowing very good and well he loved hearing her say his name.  Smiling, he said "Hey baby.  How's your day going so far?"  He heard her sigh which meant she was relaxed.  "Your pool is magnificent but it's missing one important key element" she teased.

"Hmm, what would that be, tesoro?" he asked.  "You" she said.  "Twenty minutes tops and I will be with you the rest of the day" he told her.  "Promise?" she asked.  "Promise" he replied.  "Well then, hurry your sexy ass up.  I need to be carried around the water in your sexy arms" she purred.  "Soon baby, soon" he told her.  Blowing him a kiss, she said she would be waiting for him.