Chapter 24

Dressed for his trip, Alessio took one last look in the bathroom mirror.  Black Armani suit, that fit him very well, white button down, black tie and cuff links.  He had an uneasiness regarding this trip but only those closest to him, excluding Cheri, knew about his feelings.

"Boss, it's time" his Under Boss said.  Picking up his wallet from the dresser, he slipped it inside the pocket of his suit.  A couple of days, that's all this would be.  He just kept telling himself this.  Nodding to Lorenzo, they stepped out of his room and headed to the SUV.

The first person he saw as he descended that last step was Cheri.  She was nervously playing with her fingers.  Always a tell-tell sign that her nerves were shot.  She was really worried for him about this meeting.  Hopefully Tommaso would be able to keep her engaged for two days.

"Hey baby" he said gently.  "Don't look so worked up" he said, caressing her face.  Cheri placed her arms around his waist.  "I can't help it" she remarked.  "I won't feel better until you're back in this house in two days" she said.

Taking her hand, he started towards his study.  Looking back at Lorenzo, he asked for five minutes.  The other man nodded in understanding and went to put his luggage in the car.

Once inside his study, Alessio closed and locked the door, led Cheri to his desk and leaned against the front of it.  Pulling her in between his long legs, he proceeded to kiss her breathless.  Complete with his fingers being fisted in her hair.

Moaning quiet loudly, Cheri couldn't hide her pleasure nor could she stifle the sound of it.  "Alessio" she breathed as he sucked on her neck.  He knew he'd left a love bite, he could tell by the metallic taste in his mouth.  Blood.  His blood, from sucking on her skin so hard.

Cheri noticed it had started to rain.  Quiet hard actually.  Sighing, she pulled back from Alessio, just looking at him.  "You'd better get going.  You don't want to drive in this any longer than necessary" she said.

Standing up and fixing his suit, Alessio brought her hand to his lips.  His mouth felt amazing on her skin and she would long for that sensation the rest of her life.

"Come" he said, taking her hand once again but leading her from the study this time.  He'd have Lorenzo, Federico, Diego and Sal with him, which made her feel better, but still this nagging feeling wouldn't go away.

Alessio was giving some last minute instructions to Tommaso when Cheri walked up to Lorenzo.  Staring up at him, her eyes pleading a silent word, he patted her arm and said "I will, I promise."  Cheri closed her eyes in relief that he'd gotten what she was trying to say.

"Thank you" she said softly as her man walked back to them.  "I'll call you when I get settled into the hotel" he promised, kissing her forehead

Starting to walk out, Cheri didn't let go of his hand but instead pulled him to her.  "I will miss you, Castellano" she said as she memorized the way he looked.  Softly kissing her lips, his answer was "I will miss you too, baby."

He watched the image of her get smaller as they drove away from the house and onto the main road.  In about an hour, give or take, he'd be at the hotel getting settled in.  

Dinner at five then meeting at seven, baring any complications, he hoped they would be able to leave tomorrow and it wouldn't be a two-day affair.

Traffic, thank God, was actually decent as they reached the Waldorf in less than an hour.  After checking in and getting settled, Alessio picked up his phone and called Cheri.

She picked up on the first ring, sounding out of breath.  "Hey babe" he started.  "Hey yourself" she said panting.  "What are you up to?" he asked.  "I just finished playing almost the entire set I played at our farewell show.  Now, I'm working on some new material.  I take it you made it to the hotel and are settled in now?" she asked.

"I am, yes" he replied.  "Dinner is at five and then the meeting is at seven.  Barring any complications, I'm hoping to be home tomorrow but I will let you know for sure, okay?" he told her.  "Cheri?" he said after hearing no response from her.

"I'm here" she said sadly.  "I'm going to miss you in our bed tonight" she told him.  "I will miss you too, bella" he said.  "But I promise to call before you go to bed, alright?"  She said that would be great and she was looking forward to it.

Running his fingers through his hair, he took off his jacket and shoes and decided to get a little sleep in before dinner.  Lorenzo and Federico were with him and Diego and Sal stayed in the adjoining room.

"Boss" he heard Lorenzo say as he gently shook his shoulder.  "It's four fifteen" he told Alessio.  Sighing, Alessio sat up on the side of the bed, leaning on his elbows.  He could have used a good solid couple of more hours.  Getting up he walked to the bathroom, brushed his teeth and splashed cold water in his face.

Slipping on his shoes, they were ready for dinner.  Marea is where they were dining.  It was located within a stone's throw of Central Park and they'd been taking their dinners there for several years, so everyone in his circle felt completely safe and at ease there.

Dinner was a social affair, a chance for people to reconnect and talk of past glories and conquests.  Alessio saw Michael Reinaldo, who represented one of the five families from Jersey and then he saw Benny Sarzo, another family head.  It was who he didn't see that worried him a bit.

Vincenzo Bonnati, Marcus Zantini and Rufus Scalarzo, those three men made up the rest of the five families from Jersey.  Where were they?  He subtly asked Lorenzo to look into it.

It didn't take Lorenzo long to get back with him on an answer.  Those three were only showing up to the meeting due to other commitments.  Alessio trusted the leaders of the other Jersey families so it didn't sound off to him at all that they weren't at the dinner.

The other thing that didn't sit well with Alessio was the fact that Frank Lantana was in attendance.  It was his understanding that this man no longer attended these functions.  Alessio asked Lorenzo to make one more phone call.

Lorenzo leaned into Alessio so no one else could hear what he had to say.  "Alberto says that Lantana has been yanking your chain since day one.  He's not to be trusted and I don't think we should go to the meeting, boss" Lorenzo was worked up.

"Really?  Why is that?" Alessio wanted to know.  "Lantana has put out a hit on you and the heads of the other Jersey families.  Alberto doesn't know how he's going to accomplish this, but the threat is real, Alessio."

Is that so? Alessio thought.  He told Lorenzo to be discreet but he wanted the other heads warned that they were walking into a trap and to make sure they came to the meeting packing.  If they were going to make it out of that meeting alive, they were going to have to work together.

Rockefeller Center, the very top floor, which had a helipad strip, is where the meetings always took place.  The entire room was nothing but glass windows and perfect for an assassination attempt.  And Alessio knew how they were going to do it.

"Federico, get Michael, Benny, Vinny, Marcus and Rufus to meet me just outside the room; as soon as they can" Alessio urged.  "Lorenzo, they're gonna use the helicopter.  Jesus God, this asshole's gonna try and pull off that scene from The Godfather" Castellano told his Under Boss.

"What's the plan then, boss?" Lorenzo asked.  Pinching the bridge of his nose, Alessio said obviously staying alive, but a plan?  He really didn't have one at this point.  Federico said the meet was set for the men's restroom.  They would have about ten minutes.

Alberto Morelli, the man that helped Alessio rescue Cheri, had showed up in the underground parking structure with bullet proof vests.  He told Federico that if the men could make it out of the room alive, he'd be waiting for them in the garage and he would get them out of there.

"Alright" Alessio told the men.  "It's now or never."  All of them had the protection on under their suits and somehow they'd all made it out of the restroom without drawing attention to themselves.  This is going to be interesting Alessio thought as he made his way to his assigned chair.