Chapter 64

It had been six full weeks since their return from Fiji and they walked into a shit storm. The last four weeks Alessio had been gone and Cheri knew it had something to do with Frank. Tommaso was the only thing keeping her sane at the moment, him and Cassidy.

She'd received and sent texts with her husband and had a few phone calls here and there but there was no substitute for having him in their bed. He'd told her that he would be back soon, so every night from that point on, she slept in the nude.

Fatigue and irritability seemed to be her only two emotions right now and she thought she knew why. Pulling herself from bed and rummaging through her closet, she found some white shorts and an aqua top with matching sandals and accessories. After showering, getting dressed, and fixing herself up, she went in search of her brother.

No surprise at all, Cheri found him in the kitchen working on lunch for the men. She hadn't realized she slept until ten a.m. Walking around the center island, she walked up behind Mas and put her arms around his waist.

"Good morning, almost afternoon, sis" he toyed with her. Cheri just rolled her eyes. "Do you have some time to take me to the drug store?" she asked. Setting his knife down, Tommaso turned and faced her.

"Are you feeling okay, Cheri?" concern was all over his face. She nodded and said "I think I'm pregnant." Letting out a huge sigh, he picked up his knife and started chopping again.

Silence impregnated the air around them until Mas broke the tension. "You don't think this is too soon, sis?" She knew he meant well and she loved him for his concern, but it was really none of his business.

"Mas" she said gently, laying her hand on his. "Alessio and I both want this. We had a lot of time to grieve for our child. It brought us closer together and we are helping each other heal.

He said after what happened at the event, he realizes how nothing is guaranteed and I agree. That's why we got married and now we want a baby."

He really didn't have a choice except to try and be happy for them both. He just didn't want to see his sister go through another heartache or be hurt because Alessio say's something stupid. "I'll take you" Mas said.

He grabbed the keys to the BMW, let the follow car men know they were heading out, opened the door for Cheri and they headed into town.

"Talk to me big brother" Cheri said, breaking the uncomfortable silence yet again. Grabbing her hand, Mas brought it up to his lips. "I'm really happy for you both Cheri, if this is truly what you both want" he answered.

Pulling up to CVS, Tommaso let the other car know they would be just a few minutes. Cheri had already gone inside and was standing in the pregnancy test aisle. She was looking over the labels and reading them as well.

"I'll get this one" she said, pulling a package off the shelf. "This is the one that Cassidy brought over, so I know it's reliable and I'll get this one." She wouldn't need more than two, she didn't think. It should be pretty conclusive.

After paying for the items, they got back into the car and headed back to the compound. The whole trip only took thirty minutes. Cheri said she was going to go take the tests and then she would come help him in the kitchen.

As she was getting ready to go into the bathroom, her phone rang. It was Alessio! "Baby?" she said breathlessly. "Hey cara" his tired, but wonderful voice rang out. "Alessio, I miss you. So much" she told him.

"I miss you too baby. I will be home tonight. Very late. Don't wait up but keep my side of the bed warm" he replied. "Oh thank God" Cheri breathed. "I can't wait to have you in my arms" she was trying not to cry.

"Baby I know this has been hard on you" Alessio started saying. "I promise I will fill you in on everything later, okay?" She nodded even though he couldn't see her. "Alessio I know this has been hard on you too. I can hear it in your voice" Cheri said concerned.

"All I need is a shower, my bed and my wife" he answered. "Hurry home" she said. "I love you, mi amore" she finished. Cheri heard his voice hitch at her words. "I love you too and will see you soon." And then he was gone.

She couldn't help but be thrilled to pieces that he was going to be in their bed. Her body and heart ached for him. She had their wedding pictures and pictures on her phone to refresh her memory of him.

Okay, she just peed on the first stick, set her phone timer and waited. She remembered from the last time, with Cassidy, that five minutes felt like five hours. Finally the alarm went off and Cheri took a deep breath and looked at the stick.

POSITIVE is what the test read. She almost expired with joy right there but decided to take the other one just to make sure. So she repeated the actions of the first test and then waited.

Her alarm went off five minutes later. Again this test was positive. Cheri couldn't quit grinning like an idiot, she was deliriously happy.

Putting all the packaging away, except for the first test, back in the plastic bag, Cheri put the end cap on her test and placed it in her dresser drawer and headed downstairs with her trash.

The men had gathered and assembled for lunch when Cheri made it into the kitchen. "Cheri" they all greeted her respectfully. "Good afternoon, guys" she greeted them back cheerfully.

"Mas, you got a minute?" she asked. Wiping his hands with the kitchen towel, he followed her to the laundry room and shut the door. "I'm pregnant" she whispered. He wasted no time hauling her into his arms and giving her a hug.

"I'm so happy for you sis" he said, genuinely meaning it. "Thank you, really. It means a lot hearing you say that. What you think is very important and I care about what you have to say, Mas" she told him. He just nodded.

"I spoke to Alessio earlier" she said. "He's supposed to be home late tonight." Rubbing his chin, Mas asked her when she'd planned on telling her husband. "As soon as I can" was her reply.

Walking back into the kitchen, Mas fixed her a panini and placed a huge pile of cut up fresh fruit. "You need to make sure you eat healthy" he said quietly in her ear after passing her the plate of food. She kissed him on his cheek and headed to eat outside, the weather was so nice it was where she wanted to be.

Her mind and emotions were all over the place. She knew, deep in her heart, that Alessio wanted a child but she still had moments of self doubt stemming back to the first time she found out she was pregnant.

"It won't be like that this time" she coached herself. Both her and Alessio were different people now. She would give him the benefit of the doubt and wait for his reaction. He loved her and she knew it. This would put him over the moon. It already had with her.