Chapter 70

Alessio tried to keep his promise to her about leaving and staying gone for weeks at a time and up until now, he'd kept that promise.  But there was a credible sighting on Lantana and the syndicate just couldn't pass up the chance.

He could tell that she was doing her best not to get upset or cry but with her being pregnant everything here lately hit her the wrong way and as usual they would fall into an argument about it.

"Why can't you get someone else to go and check it out first, before you just up and leave" she huffed, sitting on the bed with her arms crossed against her chest.  He smirked at her cuteness but he wasn't going to give in.

"Cheri you know why and I don't want to have this argument with you again" he said a little harsher than he would have liked.  Her lower lip trembled as she got up and flew past him into the bathroom, slamming the door and then he heard a 'click'.  She'd locked the door.

He didn't have time for this childish behavior, so instead of insisting she open the door, he talked through it.  "I will call and text you when I can, Cheri.  I love you" he told her and then left the room.

He hated leaving like that but time was of the essence and they had to get going and now.  According to the intel, Frank was back in New York, hiding out somewhere in Little Italy.

What Lantana didn't know or hadn't taken the time to think about, was they had total control over that area and there wasn't anything that went on in that part of the city that they didn't know about.

On his way out the door, he pulled Tommaso aside.  "She's pissed at me, again" he smirked as Mas just rolled his eyes.  "I left her locked in our bathroom.  Mas, promise me you will keep her close.  If you go out, you take an escort at all times.  Do not deviate from safety protocols, okay?"

Tommaso acknowledged Alessio with a nod.  "I will keep her safe.  Just do what needs to be done.  I'm tired of my sister having to worry about this prick" Mas said with conviction.

Alessio nodded and left with Rico, Lorenzo, Sal and Diego as they headed to rendezvous with the other families and heads.  Riding along in silence, letting his thoughts drift, Alessio's phone brought him back.  It was Cheri.

"Castellano" he answered gruffly.  "Alessio?" she said, sounding quite shy at the moment.  "Cheri" he was not amused as he really had wanted to make love to his wife before he left this morning.  "I'm sorry" she said quietly.  

His heart melted as he tried to picture how she looked at this very moment.  He imagined her sitting in the middle of their bed, cross-legged and biting her thumb.  He sighed.  "Don't apologize, baby" he finally replied.  

He didn't want her carrying guilt the entire time and to be honest, he couldn't stay mad at her.  She was just too damn cute for her own good.  He could hear her sigh and he knew he'd said exactly what she needed to hear.

"Anyway, I know you're busy but I just didn't like the way I left things and I needed to hear your voice one more time" she explained.  "I'll be home before you know it, fiore" he told her, smiling.  "Okay, Alessio.  I love you" she said.  "I know baby and I love you too" he replied.

Once they arrived at the appointed destination, the heads, under bosses, capos and foot soldiers all received their assignments from the seconds in command.  It was a well thought out plan and would be executed with tactical precision.

Don Silveri did not attend as it was not necessary for him to be out in the open, but there was a constant line of communication that was kept clear for him so he would know every step of the way what was going on.

It was time.  Alessio looked at the men who were looking to him for the signal.  Consulting his watch, he lifted his finger in the air and circled it several times letting them know to move in.