Chapter 39

Alessio reflected back on the events of the morning, how it seemed that he and Cheri were back to 'normal' in their interactions with one another.  He marveled at her power of forgiveness and willingness to not give up on him, on them.

He also listened to Tommaso's words in his head over and over about not letting her get away.  There was no chance in hell of that happening.  It would be over his cold, dead body.

Reaching over, he turned her face to his, bringing his lips to hers, he paused only for a moment to say "Did I tell you how beautiful you look?"  Then he placed a soft peck on her lips and released her face.  He watched her hand drop down and rest on his thigh, loving the immediate warmth that came through his dress pants from her hand.

Ten minutes later they pulled up to the Women's OB/GYN Clinic with ten minutes to spare.  It would seem that their playful romp did not put them behind at all.  "You really don't have to come in if you don't want to" Cheri said softly.  "There will be lots of pregnant women in there, hormonal as hell, and probably kids running around."  Was she trying to scare him?

"I don't mind pregnant women" he stated emphatically.  "As a matter of fact, there is nothing more beautiful than a woman with child.  And as for the kids, eh, I can handle them" he smiled.

"Alright, Castellano, come on" her voice was sounding better all the time.  She was still trying very hard not to use it, if possible.

Cheri wasn't exaggerating at all when she said there would be pregnant women.  There was a whole army of them!  Thank God there weren't that many children and the ones that were there seemed very well behaved.

He watched her sign in as he took a seat next to a little blonde haired, blue eyed girl.  She was reading "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" and he had to admit she was some kind of adorable.

With Cheri seated on the other side of him, they just waited for her name to be called.  Resting his hand on her thigh, he gave her a little squeeze which got him that brilliant, sexy smile he lived for.

Alessio noticed from the corner of his eye, that he had captured the little girl's attention.  "Good morning" he said with a smile.  Her little face lit up.  "Good morning" she said in the softest voice.

"What are you reading?" he asked, wondering if the conversation would move past the 'good morning' part.  "It's called If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" she responded.  "Oh" Alessio replied.  Then nothing.  Well it went further than he thought.

"Are you here with your wife?" the little girl suddenly asked, catching him and Cheri off guard.  "Uh, no.  She's my girlfriend but I hope she will become my wife one day" he smiled.  "Well you know you have to ask her, silly" the precocious little girl replied.  At this point, her mother became completely embarrassed.

Alessio assured the worried mother that there was no harm done and that she was absolutely precious.  "Sometimes I forget she's only five" the mother laughed.  The little one didn't seem to mind that they were talking about her while she sat there.

"My name's Elle by the way" she said, holding out her little hand.  Oh my goodness!  Alessio hadn't expected this.  He put his hand out and said "My name is Alessio."  Her face got the cutest little wrinkle in her forehead.

"Alessio" she said like she was trying it out.  "What does it mean?" she asked.  Wow, this kid was too smart for her own good.  "Well it means defender or protector" he responded.  She smiled broadly.  "Oh you mean like a knight that saves the princess!"

"That's a very good way to put it, Elle and I had never thought of that.  But yes, I keep the princess safe" he said.  Thank God the nurse called Cheri's name because he wasn't sure how much longer he would last going head-to-head with the little girl.