Chapter 54

After his encounter with Cheri, Alessio knew now, more than ever that he needed to get her away from there, just for a little while.  She needed it and so did he.  Alessio hadn't really expressed his feelings about their baby and what had happened to her that night of the charity event.

Losing their baby and almost losing her, Alessio's priorities had changed.  The first time they changed was when he met her but now, they had changed even more and he wanted to do everything right by her.

Standing in his locked study, he went to his wall safe to retrieve a small black box.  When she agreed to go off with him, he'd set his plan in motion.  Opening it, he looked at the beautiful piece of jewelry inside and imagined what it would look like on her finger.

It was a beautiful emerald and diamond engagement ring and it also had a thin matching diamond eternity band.  He would know if and when the mood would be right and had called his staff ahead at the island and told them to stand at the ready.

Closing the box, he secreted it away in his pocket and smiled to himself.  "Cheri Castellano" he said to himself softly.  He definitely loved how it sounded falling from his lips.

Alessio wanted nothing more than for this to be the trip of a lifetime for her and him both.  And he prayed beyond anything that when they returned, it would be as husband and wife.

He had one other thing to do before they leave.  He needed to see Tommaso.  Picking up his cell, he dialed Mas's number.  "I need you in my study ASAP" he said.  "I'm leaving in a few minutes with your sister and I need to ask you something very important."  He hung up and waited on Tommaso.

A knock on his study door drew him from his thoughts.  "Come" he said.  Tommaso covered the entire door frame with his huge body.  "You wanted to see me boss?" he asked.  Alessio indicated for him to take a seat.

"Mas, this is strictly a conversation regarding personal issues.  You know I love your sister and yes we've had some issues but we are working through them.  I know you have grown quite fond of her and very protective, which is understandable.

So having said that, I am coming to you, man-to-man, to ask you for your blessing.  I am taking Cheri to Fiji and if all goes well I want to ask her to be my wife."  After Alessio said this, he dug in his pocket and produced the ring.

Tommaso was speechless.  He stared at the huge ring for a moment and then looked to his boss and friend.  "Just take care of her, Alessio.  Treat her like she deserves to be treated.  I have no doubt she will say yes.  I'm happy for you" he said extending his hand.

Feeling better about that conversation, Alessio went to find Cheri and let her know it was time to leave.  He found her in the kitchen talking to Rico.  She was laughing and so was he and it made Alessio feel so good hearing that beautiful sound.

Then she smiled at him and this time it reached her eyes.  He was getting her back.  "Hey baby" she said snaking her arm around his waist.  Kissing her cheek, he asked her if she was ready to go.  She nodded enthusiastically while Rico offered to take their bags to the SUV.

They were a ways down the road when Alessio took Cheri's hand, forcing her to quit staring out the window and put her attentions on him.  "Are you excited, fiore?" he asked her.  "I'm just so glad to be getting out and going anywhere with you" she responded.

"And to be honest with you" she started.  "I don't care if we just lay around in a hammock all day and do absolutely nothing, as long as I'm doing nothing with you.  Having you all to myself is what I'm really looking forward to."

He leaned over, caressed her cheek and kissed her.  He savored the taste of her lips and mouth as he continued kissing her and bringing up his other hand capturing her face so she couldn't move from his grasp.

"Wow" Cheri whispered, blushing at Alessio.  "I promise you will have that and more when we get to our destination" his wonderful words hung thickly in the air, ringing with the promise of things to come.

Alessio and Cheri talked most of the flight and when they weren't talking, they rested and if they weren't resting, they made out, like teenagers and just generally enjoyed each other's company and companionship.

Their plane finally touched down a little after midnight, leaving them exhausted so Alessio instructed the driver to take them to their bungalow straight away.  While in the car, he couldn't help but love the way Cheri nuzzled him, her body providing heat to his.

"Baby, we're here" he whispered, moving a strand of hair away from her face.  She looked tired but the smile he received was golden.  Helping her from the vehicle, Alessio instructed his men to take their luggage into the house, check the perimeter and stay close.

Cheri was very excited to be here with Alessio but she was so tired from the flight all she wanted to do right now was curl up next to him in bed and sleep.  She wanted to look refreshed and ready to have fun when they interacted in the morning.

The bungalow was gorgeous.  Lots of openness, windows, the bed looked amazing and Alessio was sure that the rest of it was just as beautiful, but like Cheri, he was ready to collapse with her in bed.

They'd both been through so much.  Physically, mentally and emotionally and they both were deserving of rest and relaxation because who knew when Frank would resurface and it wasn't 'if' it was definitely 'when'.

Alessio was concerned about a great many things but the main concern was Frank Lantana was not going to give up until his children were dead and that was not going to happen.  Not on his watch.

She was going to be his wife and the mother of his children someday.  He fully intended on being around for that as well.  Lantana wasn't going to get rid of them that easy.  He would have to fight for his existence.  Castellano's don't go away and they don't fade away.

His mind was drug from the thoughts of what they'd just left behind, when Cheri walked out of their bathroom.  Her face was clean and looked smooth and youthful; her hair was beautiful and she was wearing a very sheer lime green nightie. 

 The stirring he felt in his loins was all due to her and his mind was set on keeping her up for a while.  He wanted and needed her, very much and from their many conversations on the plane, she wanted and needed him too.  

Her main fear, he'd finally coaxed out of her, was that he would no longer want her or find her attractive.  He was going to show her tonight that he most certainly wanted her and needed her and if everything went as planned, when they left here, she would be a Castellano.