Chapter 35

Alessio paced while Cheri wrote.  They'd been waiting almost two hours for word on Tommaso.  Cassidy said the scan would take a bit, but then they would have to wait for another doctor to read the scan.  This waiting was killing him.

About thirty minutes later, Cassidy came back into the room, smiling, followed by two hospital staff pushing Tommaso's bed back into place and lastly bringing up the group was Dr. Timmons.

Dr. Timmons had everyone's attention.  "The news is better than great!" he rejoiced.  "The swelling is completely gone and as you can see, we removed the breathing tube.  I would say give him about an hour or two before he comes to.  Baring any complications from the medicine that kept him under, we're looking at releasing him this evening or tomorrow."

This was the best news indeed!  Cassidy and Cheri hugged each other, smiling like lunatics.  Alessio, ever cool headed, shook the doctor's hand and told him thank you.

"Baby, I'm gonna let the guys know" Alessio said, kissing her cheek.  She grinned back at him and watched him leave the room.

"Somebody's got it bad" she joked with Cheri.  Scoffing, Cheri whispered "You don't know the half of it!"  Then she looked at Cassidy and said "Like someone else I know."  She bumped the girl with her elbow and giggled as she blushed from it.

"Am I crazy, Cheri?" she asked.  "I mean, I've never even heard the guy talk and I'm completely enamored by him.  I've never done this before and I've never even had a boyfriend!" she announced dramatically.

Cheri was shocked.  "Why not?  You're gorgeous!" Cheri whispered adamantly.  Cassidy blushed again.  "You're sweet.  My family is very religious and I was just never allowed to date.  When I went to college, I was so focused on my studies that I didn't make time for it.  And now, well now I'm just plain scared to put myself out there.  I don't know if I could handle the rejection."

"Tommaso is a great guy.  You would be denying yourself a wonderful opportunity if you didn't at least try to get to know him.  I know for a fact he's not seeing anyone either.  Go for it, Cassidy.  I mean it.  Don't let the chance slip by you" Cheri said hoarsely.

"Yes m'am" Cassidy mock saluted her and then said to her seriously "You need to quit talking right now."  Cheri nodded, smiling the whole time and then she signaled to Cassidy that she wanted her phone.

Cheri typed in her contact information into Cassidy's phone.  She liked her a lot and could tell they would be great friends.  Silently she hoped that her and Tommaso would make a connection.  He really needed someone like Cassidy in his life.

Cassidy said she was going to run down to the cafeteria and would be back.  Alessio was still gone, so Cheri took a moment to go and talk to Tommaso.

"You know when I said your cousin was a solid gold ass hat?  I might have been a little harsh on him" Cheri said squeezing his hand and rubbing her thumb across his knuckles.

"Turns out we both kind of flubbed up a bit" she sighed but continued.  "We have only known each other three weeks but it feels like years already.  What does that mean anyway?"  Shaking her head she finished talking with him.  "I do know this, Mas, there will never be another Alessio ever again.  No matter what happens between us, I will never have another man in my life.  He's it."

She was so glad to see that horrendous machine out of his room.  It just broke her heart watching that thing breath for him.  The corner of his mouth looked a little sore from where the tube laid on it.  Digging through her bag, Cheri found some Nivea lip oil, dabbed some on her finger and put it on the corner of his lip.

She noticed he had goosebumps again, so she checked his forehead.  No fever but still it was a little cool in his room so she pulled up the coverlet on his bed to his waist and tugged the sheet to the middle of his chest.  Looking for another clean wash rag she wet it and wiped his head and face down before returning to the chair beside his bed.

Cassidy returned from the cafeteria.  She had a grapefruit and coconut water for herself and handed a water to Cheri.  "You ever tried those before?" she asked regarding the coconut water.  Cheri shook her head no.  "Try it.  They are the absolute best!" she enthused. 

Twisting the cap off, Cheri took a big drink.  Firstly, it soothed her throat and secondly, it was very refreshing.  She could see that she would really like these.  "Thank you" she whispered.  Cassidy nodded as Cheri gave up her chair to the girl.

Collapsing on the sofa, Cheri inserted her ear buds, trying to find some inspiration.  She knew the one song here lately was Come Closer.  She'd written it while on tour and never in her wildest dreams did she think it would take on new meaning after she became involved with Alessio.

She leaned back and closed her eyes, mouthing the words.  Words were starting to come as she started writing fast and furious.  She didn't want to miss a single thing.  It would just look like a jumbled mess to anyone reading it but to her, this was a message she would just have to piece together.

Cheri wrote until her hand cramped up.  Three pages of just random thoughts, words and phrases that would end up being a song.  That's how her mind worked.  She hadn't noticed that her music had ended or that Alessio was standing there looking at her.

She was twirling her hair, writing everything that came to her mind, making sure she had it all down before the flow would stop.  Finally all the thoughts and words that had been flying through her head earlier had stopped.

Closing her eyes for a moment, she leaned her head back and rested, just rested for a moment and that's when she felt his presence.  Counting to ten, she slowly opened her eyes to find his cerulean ones taking her in.

She would never get used to the fact that he seemed to be able to undress her with his eyes.  He didn't make her feel uncomfortable by doing it as a matter of fact she loved how he made her feel when he swept over her that way.  Like she was his and he knew it.

Cheri let a small smile spread across her face and it was met and matched by one of his own.  Sitting up, she motioned him to sit beside her and when he did, she plopped into his lap making an 'oomph' sound escape his lips.

She couldn't help but giggle and trying to seem contrite she mouthed sorry at him.   He reached over and moved the strand of hair she was twirling from earlier, behind her ear.

"You're so beautiful" he breathed.  It didn't matter how many times she heard him say that in the space of a day, she would never wish for him to stop.  

"I very much want to kiss you, Mr. Castellano" she whispered hoarsely.  Pointing to his lips, Alessio gave her the go head as she brought her mouth to his, tasting his lips made her groan softly.  As their kiss deepened, she felt him hardened underneath her.

Tugging tenderly on his bottom lip, she lathed it for a second with her tongue, then returned for more kisses.  They had both completely forgotten about Cassidy being in the room and neither had noticed that Lorenzo had walked in until he cleared his throat.

Alessio sighed and rested his forehead on hers.  "I'll be back in a bit" he breathed against her ear, making her shudder.  She gave him one more kiss for the road before letting him up.  While standing, he let his hand go for her cheek as he caressed it before walking outside with Lorenzo.

When they were gone, Cassidy whistled and said "Oh my wow, Cheri!  That was the hottest thing I've ever seen!"  Cheri blushed and shook her head.  "That's what I want" Cassidy said, yearning in her voice.  "I want someone to kiss me like that.  Like no one else is here, just us two."  Cheri had to admit it was the best feeling in the world and she really hoped that Cassidy would find that too and with Tommaso.