Twenty-one

I stand at the front porch. Niall said he'd pick me up with his car for school. It's raining like crazy. I love rain. It relaxes me. After Niall hugged me, we talked about the things Liam did to me. It really helped and I feel like a huge block of cement is taken off of my shoulders. I fell asleep, as Niall was telling me a story about his sister. We laughed about it in the morning. I didn't get much sleep, so I'm not ready for school. Luke already left with his car. He understands why I want to drive with Niall. He even told me what he texted me personally. I step down the front porch, as I see Niall's white Jeep pull up in front of my house. The rain hits my face and my hair. My ponytail is soaked, as I reach Niall's car. I get in and the smell of mint reaches my nose.

"Hey, Alex", he smiles.

"Hi."

I lean myself into the car seat more. It's so cozy.

"How are you today?"

"I'm okay. And you?", I mumble.

"I'm doing great. I ran 11 miles this morning. A small chickadee sat on my window cill this morning. It sang something for me. It reminded me of you", Niall tells me, starting to drive.

He has music quietly playing. I recognize the voice of Oliver Sykes. Niall listens to them, too? I didn't know that. It's not the new albums. It's Count your Blessings. That album is pretty hardcore. I love that type of music.

"I love this album", I tell him.

"Really? I love it, too", he smiles.

I look over to him and smile brightly. We arrive school soon, so we get out and run to the front door. The hallways are filled with people. Some smile at my nicely, some even greet me. I kinda missed this. Before I got anorexic, I was kinda average. A few people greeted me in the mornings that time. It was nice. People in my classes wanted to work with me. Liam actually ruined my social life. He was the reason I became a loser and outcast. The only people that didn't leave me were Luke and Josh. It's so nice of them. I never really had any girl friends because there's too much drama intended. Boys are way more relaxed and much funnier. They just understand me better than girls.

"I have to talk to our P.E. teacher before the lesson. Just meet me there", Niall tells me.

"Okay."

We seperate our ways. My locker is blocked by Josh and Luke joking around.

"Hey guys", I smile and push Luke aside.

I get out my stuff and slam my locker shut again. Josh has a huge grin on his face, just like Luke.

"What's up with you two?", I ask curiously.

They just shrug, so I open my locker again and take a closer look. The blue metal is cold against my skin. I take a look at the door. A few pictures of us hang there. They made my locker look prettier. It's so nice of them. Usually I'm not a fan of making my locker look like a small piece of home. It's just where my books lay. There are a few pictures of us at the lake with Niall, Sam and Miranda but also a few from days before we really met them and became friends. I bet the picture of Niall and I singing at the campfire is a picture Luke decided to hang up. He's just trying to make me feel under preasure. I turn to them with a slight smile on my face.

"Thanks guys. I like it a lot", I tell them.

"No problem", Josh smirks.

We make our way to Miranda and Sam at Sam's locker. That's where we meet in the mornings, after we get our own stuff from our lockers. We've been in school for one and a half months now. Exams are going to start soon and our Homecoming-Dance comes soon. Luke already told me the date of the game. It's on Saturday and everyone's going crazy because they announced it this late. I'll probably just go to watch them lose and then go back home. Our team isn't very good. We got last place in the state championship last year, so my hopes aren't that high. I just hope someone asks me out to the dance. If not I'll just stay at home and watch some movies alone. I never really was a fan of being the awkward third wheel. The boys greet Sam and Miranda with a hug but I just give Sam a high-five and Miranda a smile. I only hug Josh, Luke and Niall because they know how to hug me without making me feel too skinny.

"What are you guys going to wear to Homecoming?", Miranda asks.

Josh and Luke chuckle slightly. They're probably wearing the same suit and tie and everything.

"We have pretty similar tuxedos with matching ugly ties. It's pretty funny", Josh explains.

"I'm wearing a black tux with a light blue shirt because Miranda's dress has the color", Sam tells us.

"My dress is designed by my mom. She's an amazing designer. Her dresses make me look really great. What are you wearing, Alex?", Miranda asks me.

I shift awkwardly from one foot to another. They probably already suspect me to stay home. They don't want to be seen with a loser.

"I'm not going. I don't have a date or a dress or anything", I answer honestly.

Miranda looks shocked. Her beautiful blue eyes stare at me with sadness.

"It's your last Homecoming, Alex. You need to go", she says.

"No. I'm not the dance-type", I deny.

My hands fiddle with my hoodie. It's soft. I stole it from Luke because he never wears his hoodies. It's a dark blue one with small black cats all over it. Cats are amazing. One moment they're all "cuddle me I'm so cute" and the next moment they're like "I'm going to scratch your eyes out". That's what I love about cats. I know it's weird but I think it's fascinating.

"I'll go dress shopping with you, if you want", Miranda suggests.

I deny gratefully and tell them that I'm off to class. What a luck I have this class with Niall. He's the only one that doesn't know that I won't go to Homecoming.