Fifty-three

By the clock on the wall, the bell's supposed to ring any moment. I need to get out of this Literature class right now. I need food and a prep talk from Josh. Or at least some funny screenshots. We didn't do this in a long time because he was always around Luke and I was around Niall most of the time. Luke's sitting with his football team again today, since there is a game on Friday, which I will be going to, finally. I'm such a bad sister. I went to one game this year and it was Homecoming. I'm such a bad sister. The only thing I know is that they're doing average this year. They aren't last but neither first, so I don't care that much. I've been building up my life on Niall so much. It's scary how different I got in a few months. The bell rips me from my thoughts, so I jump up and make my way to the cafeteria. A lot of people follow me into the room. My eyes skim around the room, seeing Josh at a table alone, nipping on a coke. I make my way over in big steps, like usually.

"There you are", he smiles brightly, as I sit down across him.

He lays a sandwich and a coke in front of me. I open the wraping of the sandwich immideatly. Turky and Cheese with some egg, just how I like it.

"Thank you, Josh", I say, taking a huge bite from the sandwich.

"No problemo girl. How was the test?"

"Don't even ask. It was horrid. I didn't know half of the answers. I just guessed. But how did you survive this class last year? You had Mr Harrison, too, hadn't you?", I groan with my mouth full of the delicious bread.

"He gave me extra credit on my essay about Donald Trump and Hilary Clinton. I just counted up the pros and cons of both. He gave me a C instead of a D. But I wouldn't want his D", he laughs lightly, making me laugh, too.

We end up laughing so hard that we can't breath and everyone's staring at us. After we calm down, we both start eating again.

"Do you have some new news or stuff about people to tell me? Like how is Lucy doing? Or what is Christina slutting on again?", I ask, quite curious.

"Urgh, those two drove me insane, so I unfollowed them on all social media. Sorry, not sorry. But I found out that The Fray are coming to our town on your birthday in two months. I figured because you actually kind of liked them when we were in 9th grade we could go as a throwback to good times and I got us two front row tickets. It's my treat since it's my birthday present for you", he admits.

My mouth falls open, a piece of my sandwich falling out in the process. He shuts my mouth with his hand and a disgussed face.

"You did what?", I ask really surprised.

"I bought us tickets for The Fray, girl."

"But they must've been so expensive", I exclaim.

"Yeah but see it as a birthday and farewell present because I'm moving to New York to study Journalism at NYU, starting September 2nd."

My jaw almost finds the floor, as he tells me. He's moving 1550 miles away from home to study in New York. He could study at SMU! It's not that far! How can he leave me behind in this cruel city? The only problem now is that my brother wants to stay as close as possible to Josh, so he'll be moving, too! He'll go to NYU School of Law! I feel it in my heart.

"I know it's coming so sudden but you need to understand me. I will have a better education there than here, Alex. I want a career. NYU will make my dreams come true, you know? I just want to be sucessful", he explains.

I gulp down my food. The coke doesn't even help swallowing the knot in my throat. My eyes fall to my hands. What am I going to do? New York is so far. I'd have to drive there about 22 hours. Flying is too expensive. Why?

"I understand. We'll still see each other. We have breaks and I could come over there sometime. It's not like we're going to forget about each other. We have Skype, FaceTime and stuff like that to stay in touch", I say quietly.

"Heads up! We still have four months to go before I leave! Let's make it the time of our lives. We have the concert, Prom, your and Luke's birthday, my birthday, some parties and football games", he smiles.

I nod. He gets his phone out, showing me some of the suits he's deciding to buy and which shoes he should buy but all I think about is that he's leaving in four months. The bell signals us that it's time for class again soon, so I hug Josh quickly. I don't want to be late for Biology with Mrs Handerson. We usually just sit around and listen to her blabbering. The only thing I think I learned is that she is divorced twice and has seven children from ages 21 to 14, one pair of twins and one adopted. Her new lover must've done something great because she enters the room with a huge smile on her face. I look over at the empty seat next to me. Niall sits here usually, making me laugh and have fun during class. Sometimes even making notes and passing them on to me.

"Hello class! Today we'll be having a sex-ed lesson because a girl in your grade got pregnat and has to cancel school! We're having a visit from a sex educationist. He's going to tell you about birth control", Mrs Henderson smiles at us.

A few groans are head from the girls but the boys just holler and laugh. We've been through puberty and back and got stuck there, haven't we? I look over the guy entering our classroom with a box of condoms, pills and bananas in it. My eyes land on his face, recognizing it somehow. Did I see him sometime? Maybe did but never really noticed. He begins with a few basics like what a dick is and what a vagina is. Soon we're at the part when we all have to put a condom on a banana. I get mine, feeling slightly uncomfortable. My banana is really long and thick. It's kind of gross but I have to do it anyway. The guy instructs us to pull it over, so I open the package. While I place the condom on the tip of the banana, I pull my bottom lip between my teeth in concentration. Sam exclaims that he's done, getting his phone out at the front while I still try getting the condom on my banana. I was never good at this. My lip stays between my teeth in concentration.

"Still a virgin, aye?", some guy behind me asks.

I flip him off. Guys in my grade make me want to throw up. Seriously, it's so gross. Soon my banana has a condom pulled over it. I smile proudly. Sam puts his phone back away, as he sees me being done.

"Having fun?", he asks.

"A lot", I return sarcasm in my voice.

School ends soon. I open my texts, seeing one from Niall.

Niall: Damn, I missed something in Biology. *video attached*

I see the video is me putting the condom on the banana, quite seducing. He then sends me a picture of him holding a condom next to his crotch.

Niall: Next time do it to the real one.

I huff at those texts. Is he drunk or something?

Alex: You're gross.

I drive home in no time, seeing a note from my mom.

At work. Be home by 6pm. I'm bringing take-out. Dad's at work, too x Mom

I throw the message into the bin. All I need now is a warm bath or shower. This day was kind of normal. Didn't have that in a long time.